Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos - A First Timer

Options
  • 27-09-2004 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Since I was a teenager, Ive always wanted a tattoo but never had what it takes to make the jump. I waited til now that Im in my early twenties just in case it was a bit of a passing phase, but having one done is still is something I really want. BUT.. Im not sure what to get. I know lots of people will think that I shouldnt be getting one because its the design more than the concept that should interest me. But, My reasons are that Id like one as a sign of what I see as a new start in life (for various reasons I wont go into) and because the right one in the right place does look good.

The permanence does daunt me, but I think Ive got to the stage where I trust myself to pick the right one. I have been told though by people I know that "I'll hate it when Im 70" etc, even though Ive never told anyone my design ideas etc.

Should I just go for it and pick my design, customise it a bit and get it done? I think it would give me massive confidence to go on and do it but.. theres a lingering doubt that the pessimists I know might be right when Im 70!

I really want one, but its a lack of confidence thats stopping me. Any advice?? (BTW, Im thinking of a smallish tribal sun between my shoulder blades).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Just go for it look at them as a diary of your life of course your feelings are going to change through life about them I know i'll wonder what I was thinkin about one or two of them when im older but who cares I like them now and for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Trotter wrote:
    Im thinking of a smallish tribal sun

Stay away from Tribals if permanence is on your mind - as what 'looks' cool now, may not seem so cool later.....

As for customising, talk it over with your chosen tattoo artist - but ANYONE you choose, I'd ask to see photos of their work before letting a drop of ink go near you....

Just as a side word of warning - beware your choice of placement on your body, as aftercare is ESSENTIAL & uber important, & does involve cleaning & coating with either Tattoo Goo, Vitamin E cream/Oil or Savlon (depending on what artist you go to & what they tell you) & if this means doing this in work, the middle of your back can be awkward & you *may* need a hand in doing this... not to mention on the back means 'careful' showering & you can't use acidic shampoos (or any shampoo as a matter of fact, as it is acidic) & can damage the coloring of the tattoo, as basically a new tattoo is a big open wound, which does require care & attention, but again this is something that your chosen tattoo arist will go into depth with you about.

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

i agree with venom there, don't go for something coz it looks cool now, you'll probably end up hating it in a few years and wonder why you got it done. Get somethign that has some meaning to you, myself i got my first tattoo about 4 years ago now and don't regret it as i think i made a good decision on what to get. I went for my family crest on my arm, was good in two ways, 1- it has meaning and 2- my parents were'nt so pi**ed because of it's meaning :)

if you are still stuck and looking for ideas, have a look at your family crest or something else in your life that means alot to you and go with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I only got my first (and only) tatoo 2 years ago, at the age of 24, and I don't regret it remotely. Also, don't buy into any of that "You'll regret it when your 70" bullsh*t. I can never understand that argument. When you are 70 (if you are lucky to live that long) you will be long, long past caring what people think of your physical appearance, and you probably won't be in too many positions to be exposing a hell of a lot of naked flesh.

My opinions on what to get (which may elicit angry rebuttals from other posters) are as follows:

- first and foremost, get something that means something to you, not a design hanging in the window. I chose something deeply personal, something that I will never regret even if I was 100 years old, because the topic will still be as personal. I can't draw for sh*t, so I just described what I was looking for to the Tatoo artist and allowed them the license to draw it. When I was happy with the drawing, I went ahead with the tatoo.

- if you do go for something deeply and profoundly personal, perhaps make it your one and only tatoo, unless something equally as personal occurs to you. My point is, don't cheapen your existing tatoo, by giving it a trite, cliched sibling e.g. don't have an important, personal tatoo on one arm, and then a feckin Ireland flag on the other. Personally, I will never get another tatoo, because I feel it would detract from the importance of my existing one, which was always intended to be a one-off gesture.

- Again, just my personal preference, but avoid bright colours. They don't age well. My tatoo is jet black. I think Jet black looks far and away the best, and doesn't start to look sh*t as the years roll on.

Just my two cents, hope it works out for you.

Well said Dublinario. I am of the same opinion all of my tattoos bar one have meaning, in the form of text and of late a portrait of a musician whose music helped me through alot of hard times that I experienced over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭church

i'd be inclined to go the other way. the cheesier the better...flaming dice, cards all that kinda stuff. i think tattoos with meaning for someone are great and all but bosco meant a lot to me when i was 5, i'm real glad i don't have him tattood on me. maybe someday i will see an image or a few words with great meaning to me but when i get my first tattoo, hopefully soon it'll be flaming dice ripping across a large spade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Church, you aren't thinking hard enough. There are things that will always mean something to you e.g. family, a profound event, a deceased friend etc etc. Your Bosco analogy doesn't hold water. Nobody is suggesting you go out and get a tatoo of Bosco when your 5, but I assure you, if you put your mind to it you will realise that there are a limited number of things in everybodies life that will remain important from 18 to 80.

But you are right to an extent insomuch as those of my friends that actually regret their Tatoos (and most have had them covered up) got them when they were in and around 18. Very often they were total cliches, like Ireland flags. I'm glad I waited till my mid 20's, and the guy who started this thread also says he is in his early 20's. Perhaps it's better to wait until the rebelious teen phase is well and truly out of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭church

thats fair enough but theres no rules to say that getting a tattoo with no personal meaning is a bad thing. its still a form of decoration which to me is the most important thing about them. i wouldn't get my family crest tattood on me because its not a nice design. i like old school and cheesy designs and some horror stuff. if someone wants to get a tribal sun on their back i think thats grand. i don't see how getting tattoo's with no meaning is being rebelious either. i think that we have different views on tattooing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Tattooing can also be "Art for Arts sake"
    You just have to be happy with the fact that your body is the canvas and that it is permanent.
    I dont agree with the meaning thing particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

Whatever happens don't get Chinese carachters tatooed anywhere on your person. Irrelevant of what anyone tells you, this is a strange and cryptic language. I was recently there and got a genuine chinese tatoo, which took 8 weeks to decide on as different people had different interpretations of what the carachters symbolise. I have the pleasure of knowing at least three people here at home who are now walking around with utter gibberish on one end of the spectrum, to offensive statements at the other, emblazoned across their arms etc. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I went down the road of name on the fore-arm, doesnt look good at job interviews.

I never seen the point in getting another language on my body I dont even think they look good.

I think the only solution for this thread is each to there own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Tribal Sun -> Sunrise -> New Start.

Therin lies the meaning behind and the motivation for my madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

im also considering getting my first tattoo... music is a massive part of my life and im a bass player so i was thinking of a nice simple bass clef. funny enough i was looking through that massive tattoo site and saw it.

i was big into getting a tatt that has meaning but now i couldnt care less... id get a funny one or somethin. met this guy before who had a deadly spiderman comic page tattooed onto the back of his leg! twas real sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I have a lotus flower on my shoulder blade because I meditate a lot which has helped me througha lot of rough times and since "om mani padme hum" (hail to the jewel in the lotus) is one of my favourite mantras, it was a natural choice. I once saw someone with a tattoo of Taz holding a barbell in their uppper arm. it was situated in such a way that when their bicep was flexed Taz appeared to be lifting the barbell

Advertisement