Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get back into Planetside

• 27-09-2004 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Spawned from the other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185376

I'm trying to get back into playing planetside but its surprisingly difficult. I always assumed I'd just be able to log onto their site and click a few buttons and renew my subscription but its way more difficult than that, as far as I can see.

I cant find the game cards on amazon.co.uk, amazon.com wont ship outside of US. I cant find a link to buy gamecards or to renew subscription on the planetside website.

Anyway, just a general request for help because I knew at least a few people are still playing planetside and/or have renewed their accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

are you just trying to get your old character back?
    if so log in as a new player
    type /appeal in the chat window and give your old char name and they will renew it.

if your looking to get back into the game just load it up and press the suscribe key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Both actually, cheers.

exspect a mammoth download,
    alot of updates if your just booting from the original ps cd
    dont buy core combat unless you plan on sticking with the game for some time.

Ah, yeah, I remember it well. The first time I installed and played it there was a 1gb update, that was 9 months ago.

Ah, I figured out what my original problem was. I created an account on SOE before I bought planetside and then created a second when I actually bought it. Explains alot.

Cheers for the help.

Now, must hop onto komplett and upgrade my PC again ;)

ps is the most system hoggin game i know of,
    you should get atleast 1 gig of ram
    and a high end G card

• Advertisement

Hmm, as I was downloading the patches I went through the patches review. They said they sorted out alot of the FPS problems but after spending the last 6 hours playing it, I think I can safely say its not 100% yet.

With my P4 2.0ghz, 768mb Ram and GeForce 4 4200Ti I have anywhere from 135 fps to 0.9.

It has a tendency to just freeze for a few seconds which is generally enough to get you killed or allow your kill to get away. In saying that though, I still played for 6 hours non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A gig of ram is a minimum for playing planetside. Anything less and you'll experience caching pauses when you enter SOIs with lots happening in them, etc.

I've a p4 2.4c, 1gig ram, gf4 ti4200 and it runs pretty well - usually >50fps, sometimes dropping to ~25-30 in very heavy fights. Graphics card is the only thing holding me back and that should be upgraded next week some time all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm on a p4 2.4, 1gig RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. It's running nicely.. I very seldom worry about the FPS, it only gets bad is really ridiculously zerg-like onslaughts. :)

However occasionally I've noticed the game suddenly decides to drop to 2 fps and stays there. A quick restart of the game solves that - it's annoying but it doesn't happen very often (about once a week, and I have been playing an awful lot of PS every day!)

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Silly question (but it matches the topic title).... Planetside is doing a 14 day trial at the moment, I've never played before, is it easy to get into? I play a good few FPSs, is it easy to get started? Some of the MMORPGs you have to save up for years to get a crossbow +3. I'd like to not be at too much of a disadvantage starting off hehe.

Yeah it's easy to get started in. It's actually probably the easiest one to get comfortable in of all the MMOs that I've tried. You should be able to get to Battle Rank (BR) 10 (out of a maximum 20) within a week if you play enough. You get BR for killing people (natch), aswell as participating in capturing bases and refilling the NTU silo in bases with an ANT.

You can have the most powerful weapons in the game at ~BR8 if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What about which sides might be easiest to join, which server to play on etc? I'm going to download it tonight.

Werner is the european server, so you'll probably want to play there.

There's no specifically easy side (empire). The three empires vary in how they play.

The New Conglomerate (Blue/Yellow armor and vehicles) have two main types of tech - Close-in weaponry which are the most powerful weapons in the game when you're fighting up close and personal (based loosely around shotguns), and strong precision weaponry on vehicles (gauss cannons etc).

The Terran Republic (Black/Red armor and vehicles) could have a weapons feel that might be best described as 'saturation'. They throw as much lead as possible at their enemy in the shortest time possible. They're big into chain guns and rapid-fire weapons in general.

The Vanu Sovereignty (Purple/Green armor and vehicles) have energy weapons - plasma rifles and the sort - which cause quite a lot of splash damage. They also have hover vehicles (the other two empires only have wheel/tracked vehicles), which gives them much better manuverability.

Advertisement