Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing myself

• 27-09-2004 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just found this forum, and as I'm of Irish descent, thought I'd join up. Currently I reside in New York State, and would like to travel to my ancestral homeland in the near future.

I've already made a couple of posts in soc.politics which is probably where I'll spend most of my time :D

I hope some of my more "unorthodox" views will be tolerated.

Anyhow, it's good to be aboard!

-awake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

awake777 wrote:
    Just found this forum, and as I'm of Irish descent, thought I'd join up. Currently I reside in New York State, and would like to travel to my ancestral homeland in the near future.

I've already made a couple of posts in soc.politics which is probably where I'll spend most of my time :D

I hope some of my more "unorthodox" views will be tolerated.

Anyhow, it's good to be aboard!

-awake
    Fáilte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Welcome aboard :D

Don't worry about your "unorthodox" views, mostly anything is tolerated around here!

What part of Ireland are your forefathers from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 awake777

Thanks for the welcome!
    Okie wrote:
    Don't worry about your "unorthodox" views, mostly anything is tolerated around here!

Well, apparently not in the Politics section. I've already ruffled a few feathers there unintentionally.
    What part of Ireland are your forefathers from?

Dublin, if my memory serves me correctly. I've actually got a lunch appointment with my grandfather this week - I'm trying to pluck every bit of our family history out of him before his time on Earth expires. I'll be sure to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Okie wrote:

Ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

People here don't like racists that can't defend their viewpoint, that's all. They come in from time to time, spout some BS about purifying the race and then disappear again when they realise not everyone feels the same way they do (they are, in fact, a minority of their own).

Not that I'm implying you're one of those people or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You will find that people are largely tolerated around here.

Many people tend to mistake passionate and scathing, yet accurate rebuttals as "intolerance" and "cliques". Just remember that if your view is unorthodox, you're severely in the minority, and you will have a lot more people attacking you than defending you. Don't be afraid. :)

That's a good point. I should point out aswell that's what the politics board is all about. Discussions. If you come in with an unpopular viewpoint, people will attack that viewpoint (not you personally though, generally), and challenge it. That's where a lot of loonies drop out ("I want my freedom of speech stop attacking my opinion!")

I have no problem defending my viewpoint. And I fully respect the views of everyone else on here. What I have a problem with is people who try to catagorize someone as "racist", "intolerant", etc. without actually debating or proving a point.

What I find ironic, however, is that the people who scream the loudest about "tolerance" are the most intolerant when it comes to a contradictory viewpoint. Yeah, I have my picture and other info up on some anti-racist websites simply because I hold views outside of the mainstream. These groups that pretend to want peace, happiness and brotherly love for all man see no problem with posting personal info in hopes that I will somehow suffer.

Ahhh, hypocracy... :cool:

awake777 wrote:
    These groups that pretend to want peace, happiness and brotherly love for all man see no problem with posting personal info in hopes that I will somehow suffer.
    That's the other side of the loony coin. Like anti-abortion people who blow up clinics and threaten doctors and their families.

seamus wrote:
    That's the other side of the loony coin. Like anti-abortion people who blow up clinics and threaten doctors and their families.

Yep. Some people are so "pro-life" that they just can't wait to kill a few people.

And some people are so pro-tolerance that they just can't wait to kick the living crap out of a "racist" like me :(

• Advertisement

People on the politics board are just a bit weary, as people from stormfront keep getting their knickers in a twist and come over here to try and convert others.

koneko wrote:
    People on the politics board are just a bit weary, as people from stormfront keep getting their knickers in a twist and come over here to try and convert others.

Weariness is understandable, to an extent.

I actually found this forum looking through the big-boards listing. Coincidentally, I am also a member of Stormfront. But my mission is not to "convert" anyone, merely offer an alternate viewpoint. My first post here was completely innocent, yet I've been attacked again and again.

Someone was kind enough to give me 6 rep points for this thread here, but I'm promptly down to zero as those anonymous folks who disagree with me have left a few nasty messages but never really challenged what I had to say. Typical. I imagine I'll be in the negatives by the time I check back tonight :D

awake777 wrote:
    Someone was kind enough to give me 6 rep points for this thread here, but I'm promptly down to zero as those anonymous folks who disagree with me have left a few nasty messages but never really challenged what I had to say. Typical. I imagine I'll be in the negatives by the time I check back tonight :D
    Yeah, some people tend to give negative feedback cos they don't agree with you, which completely destroys the point of forums. Your argument is posted up there, and their argument is anonymously hidden in your Control Panel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, some people tend to give negative feedback cos they don't agree with you, which completely destroys the point of forums. Your argument is posted up there, and their argument is anonymously hidden in your Control Panel :rolleyes:
    That's my main problem with the anonymous karma in the new boards, I'd love to have every peice of karma detailed for every post that receives it and who gave it stuck on the bottom of the post that received it that ways it's out in the open and there would be fewer random negative karma points dished out by people with just a curse word or abuse trown in - sometimes even for the most innocuous of posts :confused: It's the anonymity of their actions that gives these people the courage to do such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

awake777 wrote:
    Well, apparently not in the Politics section. I've already ruffled a few feathers there unintentionally.

An American surprised that everyone doesn't agree with his political views..
    Lordy lordy what am de world cummin' to. Yes indeedy. Lordy lordy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

"There are some people out there who don't love their fellow man, and I HATE people like that"
    -Tom Lehrer.
    What I find ironic, however, is that the people who scream the loudest about "tolerance" are the most intolerant when it comes to a contradictory viewpoint. Yeah, I have my picture and other info up on some anti-racist websites simply because I hold views outside of the mainstream.

Oh puhleeze the whole
    "maybe these "tolerant" people are really the intolerant ones after all"
    crap that some racists f*cks come blathering out with.

Look you're racist. Thats my problem with you. You made a choice to have that worldview, deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

mycroft wrote:
    Look you're racist. Thats my problem with you. You made a choice to have that worldview, deal with the consequences.
    I hate people who hate people who hate people based on their skin colour.

<edit>LOL the bad rep I've been getting in this thread is hilarious. I seriously worry about some peoples sense of humour :rolleyes: I though the sarcastic hypocrisy in my posts was enough for people to figure out that I'm posting in a light hearted manner. Do I really need to put a smiley in every single post! I quite _like_ mycroft ( that nick sounds dirty! ) and I have no prob with him so chill out people.

:D;):p:) , enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Hi...
    I'm curious...I have my own interpretation of the significance of your name, care to explain?
    (why 777?)

note...this is my 777 post too

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Awake, as in Ireland Awake maybe.

I dunno, I think it's hilarious when a 1/16th Irish or whatever talks about subjects such as immigration and how their country should be rid of these people etc. etc.. When they are immigrants themselves, and not 100% pure. Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to this character, but it's something I have noticed in people with similar views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

mycroft wrote:
    Oh puhleeze the whole
    "maybe these "tolerant" people are really the intolerant ones after all"
    crap that some racists f*cks come blathering out with.

Since you seem to preach tolerance, live by it. Tolerate my dissenting views and please don't attack me personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

awake777 wrote:
    Since you seem to preach tolerance, live by it. Tolerate my dissenting views and please don't attack me personally.

If you expect tolerance you could at least practice it.

I have a tolerance for anyone, whatever they may be. Liberal, Conservative, Communist, Capitalist. I don't care. I may not agree with them, I may argue passionatly against them, but I will respect their views and tolerate them.
    However, once that person refuses to show respect or tolerance of other people, be it a matter of their own views, or their own culture I don't give them the time anymore.
    Your views aren't unorthadox, they're extremely predujiced and dis-respectful of entire countries and cultures. And the fact that in places like politics you won't even back up your comments with facts, or argue your case means you have little principal either.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

flogen wrote:
    If you expect tolerance you could at least practice it.

I have a tolerance for anyone, whatever they may be. Liberal, Conservative, Communist, Capitalist. I don't care. I may not agree with them, I may argue passionatly against them, but I will respect their views and tolerate them.
    However, once that person refuses to show respect or tolerance of other people, be it a matter of their own views, or their own culture I don't give them the time anymore.
    Your views aren't unorthadox, they're extremely predujiced and dis-respectful of entire countries and cultures. And the fact that in places like politics you won't even back up your comments with facts, or argue your case means you have little principal either.

flogen

Steady on, you can't pre-empt his doing this. So far in Awake's short life on boards he's done nothing wrong. But people have been jumping the gun on him.

If and When he slips up, by all means hammer him. Until then he doesn't deserve posts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

I posted this concentration camp categorization info in a thread about the NPD on politics.

Yellow triangles for Jews.
    Red for politicals (KPD and SPD members, anarchists, trade unionists).
    Brown for gypsies.
    Green for criminals.
    Blue for foreign forced laborers.
    Black for 'antisocials' (prostitutes, the homeless).
    Pink for homosexuals.
    Purple for Jehovah's Witnesses.
    White for people who refused work.

Just wondering, who do you hate most out of that lot and if you could have "pardoned" one category (Imagine you were the camp commandant!) which one would it be? Bear in mind that inmates could belong to multiple categories, eg Jewish SPD members would wear red and yellow triangles and so on.

Or are you going to say the camps did not exist or some such rubbish.

Advertisement