Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Poker - How much you make / loose in average ?

Options
  • 27-09-2004 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,

just out of curiousity. About 8 weeks ago I started playing online poker with ladbrokes. I normally do it one evening a week. I am not a brilliant player, probably not even a good one, but In average I made about 75 Euros an evening.

I only play the small stakes (0.25/0.50), and it is really weird with what kind of Cards people are going all in for 30 or 40 euros.

What are you experiences, and how much money do you loose or win in average ?

That reminds me... yesterday I won 350 Euro with 4 deuces... and the other guy had a full house (Aces full of K`s)... that was sweet...must have been my high point so far.

cheers,
    dsab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Fair play man thats pretty damn good, ive lost a load in the last week, bout 100 euro, which is alot when youre a poor student like me so ive had my accounts disabled so i dont spend anymore!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've heard of people making 100 an hour (ie people who I trust to tell the truth and who can play). I know a few people who have lost a fair bit!
    You'll find that like all players/gamblers you'll hear about the big wins more then the big losses and exagerations tend to only happen in one direction too :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

it varies depending on what I play, I'm well up overall but I've had some days where I've lost quite a bit.

generally in the low stakes ring games I tend to make about 20-40 in a session, but find that I can't play for longer than an hour or two at a time.

In the STT's I normally play between the $5-$25 entry games and in the majority of cases finish in the top 3, with a reasonable % of 1sts..

I've won a couple of MTT's but nothing more than about 550 at a time, and only a couple of those. There's plenty of guys on here making more than that, but I consider it a reasonable return in my spare time..although I have some very frustrating times and even de-installed software once or twice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Since the 25th of June Ive made 1200, that is ive lodged a total of 1600 and withdrawn 2800,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Depending on how many tables you play at a time, how many fishies in the sea etc, take bad beats into account (muppets rivering a 3 for the set) all in all id say about 80 Eur($100) an Hour on a good day on a bad day you can make 0 an hour, it's not happy days every day (if only :))

I would not get complaicent about ladbrokes, there are easy tables you land on and there are tight ass tables you can land on

All i'll say is underestimate no one on ladbrokes, there are some very good players who play for a living on it (increasingly more in the past couple of months)

My Worst loss in one single day would be about $850 that was playing heads up for the day, since i have quit playing them as i find them to be a complete joke

here is an example of my worst Bad beat playing heads up for $200 1500 chips a piece, i hammered my oponent down to 400 chips, i flop two pair KJ, I check, player goes all in with AQ, flop was KJ3, now when i saw him turn over the AQ my first thought was right, here comes a 10, nope, turn Q, river Q..... From this hand the guy was dealt AA and I AK, he goes all in, i had to call with AK, he doubles up again, next hand, get dealt QQ, he goes all in turns over KK and he went on to win the tourny, sick, nothing is certain in heads up play, stay well clear of it, unless you want to practice for heads up in a tourny and in that case, stick to playing for $5 for practice reasons.

I have seen that **** happen so often playing heads up its enough to make you puke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Samba wrote:

My Worst loss in one single day would be about $850 that was playing heads up for the day, since i have quit playing them as i find them to be a complete joke

here is an example of my worst Bad beat playing heads up for $200 1500 chips a piece, i hammered my oponent down to 400 chips, i flop two pair KJ, I check, player goes all in with AQ, flop was KJ3, now when i saw him turn over the AQ my first thought was right, here comes a 10, nope, turn Q, river Q..... From this hand the guy was dealt AA and I AK, he goes all in, i had to call with AK, he doubles up again, next hand, get dealt QQ, he goes all in turns over KK and he went on to win the tourny, sick, nothing is certain in heads up play, stay well clear of it, unless you want to practice for heads up in a tourny and in that case, stick to playing for $5 for practice reasons.

I have seen that **** happen so often playing heads up its enough to make you puke!!

A very good player playing in a good 1 * 1 stt (ie with reasnable blind levels) can expect to win about 3/4 of his matches against average opponents. This is much more than enough to overcome the rake that is charged by the online sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I play the lowest stakes (25 - 50) NL on pokerroom. I generally play two tables at a time and earn on average 30 dollars an hour. small potatoes compared to the people who take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

A very good player playing in a good 1 * 1 stt (ie with reasnable blind levels) can expect to win about 3/4 of his matches against average opponents. This is much more than enough to overcome the rake that is charged by the online sites.

I agree, but then there are days where pure luck will kick you in the teeth, i've lost 1x1's calling all in bluffs, for guys only to hit outside straights, flushes etc, i can easily build up a nice bankroll with $10, in one afternoon turned $10 into $520 playing 1x1's, overall i am well up, but to suffer a loss of $850 in one day simply didn't sit well with me, what was most frustrating was the fact that you played it as you should have, yet you lose.

The advantage now is when i end up heads up in STTs I generally win them :)

and that is purely down to the experience i have from playing heads up.

Ahem, fancy another game Hector? j.k seriously i do not play them any more. as the potential for loss is far bigger than ring games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I find the STT on Party Poker very profitable. Steer clear of the $10-$30 buy in's as there are too many fish who will call you all the way down to get lucky on the river. $50-$100 buy ins seem to have the right sort of player, they think they know how to play and are more inclinded to bluff off their money.
    Any decent player should be able to hit the money over 50% of the time over a long period.
    The MTT tournies also offer a good chance of a big score. The play is very loose in the early stages and if you are patient you can build up a nice stack for the later stages. Most $50 tournies have between 500 and 1000 entrants, half are gone in an hour - thats a lot of dead money. You only need one big score in one of these to put you well in front. I managed an $11k win last week :p
    So far from $100 stake have a profit of $13000 in a couple of months.

Congrats by the way for a great forum.
    Content is much more interesting to the average poker player than others such as the Hendon mob one!

Less bitching more poker :cool:

This is an interesting question, I have been recently working on an all singing all dancing spreadsheet that will track Ring Games, Stts, Mtts, and Heads up game; & perform all manner of nefarious calculations on the totals. I am now adding a section that will calulate profitability per hour as well. My results are meaningless so far, as Ive only been tracking the data since the start of november. Before that I just had a running total of profit / losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'm about even at the moment. I was 300€ or so up about 3 weeks ago but i've had a horrendous run of cards and luck lately. I have also moved up a bit in terms of the standard of games I am playing. This might be a factor in how i'm doing so i'm going to try and not play the higher stake games for a bit now to see how I do. In saying all that i've only being playing 2 or 3 months so i'm quite happy with how it's going at the moment.

I generally play relatively low limits .25/.5 PL or NL ring games, 5-20€ SnG's and 5-20€ Freezeout Mtt's or 5-15€ Mtt rebuys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

anyone have any use for some paypal cash that I could trade for some pokerstars, betfair or ladbrokes credit? only talking about $50 or so. No credit card, and I haven't yet tried the western union option...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I started playing on-line about 3 months ago, complete novice to Texas hold Em, but always did quite well playing the odd social game of poker away on golf holidays etc before....

Man, am I hooked !!

Started playing the cash games and after the first couple of days, I started losing big time, so then tried the MTT and used to get knocked out always before the hour break....that went on for the first 2 weeks or so.

I then tried the STT and I noticed a big improvment in my temperament, ability to read the table, and if you play quite tight, can get down to the last 5 very quickly, and just take it one step at a time.
    Had a good streak, tried the cash tables again, and got my ass whipped !!

Anyways to make a long story short, tried my luck again at the MTT, and finishing positions dramatically improved (as i have as a player), have won 2 500 freeroll tournaments, and one 250 £2.50 tourney, so things are improving.

Anyways my advice would be to play the STT for Novices to improve their poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

i agree with that

the $5 and $10 STTs pokerroom.com seems to be relativly easy money once you play it kinda tight in the early stages. It's pretty easy to spot the good players and the bad players

i tried ladbrooks poker last night just to see but it seems like a real slow pain in the arse of a website, i just got pissed off with it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andersde10

This is an interesting question, I have been recently working on an all singing all dancing spreadsheet that will track Ring Games, Stts, Mtts, and Heads up game; & perform all manner of nefarious calculations on the totals. I am now adding a section that will calulate profitability per hour as well. My results are meaningless so far, as Ive only been tracking the data since the start of november. Before that I just had a running total of profit / losses.
    hey hector.., why not just use pokercharts.com instead - will give you all the stats you could posibly need, and its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

andersde10 wrote:
    hey hector.., why not just use pokercharts.com instead - will give you all the stats you could posibly need, and its free!
    It looks like you have to enter your session results manually ! is that right ? talk about tedious.

andersde10 wrote:

I checked pokercharts out a while ago, but it was missing several features I needed. Also, I want to be able to mess round with the calulations myself. I dont think theres a heads up feature is there either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've been playing on partypoler (same nick as boards) for about two weeks, and am up over €200 so far. First time ever playing texas hold 'em and am hooked. I only really play the €10 SnG's or the €20 SnG's, either one or two tables. Have tried my hand at their new €30 Speed Tournies but have been knocked out quickly each time. Don't enjoy the ring games at all. Noticed more than one Irish player online, and played in a €20 SnG two-table game tonight with another boardster (forget his nick), he got 3rd (€80) and I got 2nd (€120) - nice to beat the Americans at their own game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

That was me, fun game. Thought I was screwed with 500 left in chips and about to bubble. All-in on Q10s, opponent pauses, then calls, 56s. He was gone 2 hands later :)

Advertisement