Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging a Canadian Cheque here

Options
  • 27-09-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

A friend in Canada sent me a cheque for 100 Canada Dollars (that is about 63 EUR)

Can I lodge that into my AIB current account, will there be some huge fee over that of lodging an Irish cheque, (apart from the unfavourable currency conversion), how long does it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There might be some charges alright, you are likely to be better off lodging than trying to get cash. Foreign cheques can take 1-3 weeks to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I have never cashed a cheque, I always lodge it.
    Can you still cash today, I mean can you walk in from the street with no account, and only proof that you are John Smith and a bank will cash a cheque, must it be on their own paper, can they refuse to honour their own paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I lodged an american cheque a couple of weeks ago and there was only a charge of €2 and cleared straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

TIPPTOP wrote:
    I lodged an american cheque a couple of weeks ago and there was only a charge of €2 and cleared straight away.

Cool, I get it, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TIPPTOP wrote:
    Some of the banks ahve been nasty and changed the way balances are calculated. While you can draw on the cheque immediately, you will be charged interest until it clears.
    vector wrote:
    I have never cashed a cheque, I always lodge it. Can you still cash today, I mean can you walk in from the street with no account, and only proof that you are John Smith and a bank will cash a cheque, must it be on their own paper, can they refuse to honour their own paper?
    You can only cash at the branch it is drawn at and only then if they are happy with clearing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement