Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ambient Music

• 27-09-2004 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Im probably in the minority here but is there anyone else into Ambient stuff?Stuff like Future Sound Of London/Orb/Biosphere,etc,etc,does anyone know where download some quality Ambient sets (apart from the obvious soulseek,etc)and know of any good sites?cheers... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

In to some of it myself. I like The Orb's Little Fluffy Clouds... and some of Air's tracks (Kelly watch the Stars and All I Need - though they're not very dancy). I've been pricking around with various programmes at home on the pc and I've done a few Ambient Trance and Techno tracks... might post a link to a few and you can download them... if I can get a moment to spare... :rolleyes:

Don't know where you can get sets of the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Maybe its just me but that dosen't seem like ambient music more like easy listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As an ambient artist I think most ppl have no clue which the music is meant to sound like. Its not dance music! Ambient has no beats only medody, after a fashion and "atmosphere". Anyway for a good source of proper ambient have a rummage round the links pages of www.windandwire.com

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

The best Ambient ive ever heard is the utterly brilliant Lifeforms by FSOL.... ;)

388830_170x170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

aphex twin's

Selected Ambient Works 1 LP
    AND
    Selected Ambient Works 2 double LP

both have beats - but so subtle that they don't particularily make you wanna dance. And anyway, i'll dance to ambient music if i want! :D

I also find Oval quite ambient but not in the usual soft, beatless melody kinda way.... his is machine ambience, like the buzz of flourecent tubing or aircondtioning systems..... lush

I heard something about Brian Eno inventing ambient music from a hospital bed after he noticed background noises were quite soothing. Anyone else hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

aphex twin's

I heard something about Brian Eno inventing ambient music from a hospital bed after he noticed background noises were quite soothing. Anyone else hear this?

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/interviews/Peopl83a.html#walking
    Brian Eno was walking home eight years ago, just after producing a pop single at a London recording studio, when the moment of revelation occurred. "If that song were the last thing I ever record, would I mind having that as my final piece of work?" he asked himself. "Probably not." Then he slipped on the rain-slick pavement, into the path of a speeding taxi. "At that instant my mind was operating incredibly fast," he recalls. "On one channel, I thought, 'So that may be the last thing I do.' Then I thought, 'If I'm going to survive this, I've got to get up as soon as it hits me,' because I could see another car following the taxi that would surely swerve around and run over my head. The third thing I thought was, 'Who is going to get in touch with my girlfriend?' And the fourth thing was, 'Isn't the brain an incredible thing? It's like a 24-track tape with all these things going on at once.' It sounds ridiculous, but in that moment I developed a theory about how my brain worked. Then I got hit."

Convalescing over the next month from head injuries and a strained back, Eno thought frequently about his career. Almost by accident, he had become a British cult figure as the outlandishly-dressed synthesizer player of the group Roxy Music; then, after quitting the band, he had succeeded as a quirky singer-songwriter and rock producer. Yet his achievements had left him dispirited. Lying immobile in bed, grateful for the enforced sabbatical, he would listen to records played by visiting friends. One day it was harp music, with the volume turned so low that the plucked strings were almost inaudible. "At first I thought, 'Oh God, I wish I could turn it up,'" Eno remembers. "But then I started to think how beautiful it was. It was raining heavily outside and I could just hear the loudest notes of the harp coming above the level of the rain." As he listened, Eno decided that this "melted-into-the-environment quality" was what he wanted in his music and his life.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

jonny68 wrote:
    Im probably in the minority here but is there anyone else into Ambient stuff?Stuff like Future Sound Of London/Orb/Biosphere,etc,etc,does anyone know where download some quality Ambient sets (apart from the obvious soulseek,etc)and know of any good sites?cheers... ;)
    For more years than I care to remember. Hard to find newer stuff like this but if you're really into it try a show on BBC Radio 1fm called the Blue Room: you can listen online if you're some place that can't get the signal or if you're a bit old fer listening to the wireless at 4am ;)
    Tracklistings from there should give you some good pointers for other listening.

Try this link for last saturdays show:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?r1blueroomsat
    You need the evil RealPlayer and the compression is low but it's good enough to listen to if not record...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

what about asura-lost eden . Has beats but its really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Dublin-based Esa Ruoho, AKA Lackluster, has lots of downloadable music linked from his site from www.lackluster.org

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I was just going to reply to this thread and say something about Lackluster - had no idea they were Dublin based though. Just got a newish album by them - all remixes but there's some very good tracks on it. Lali Puna are another great band, not really ambient as such, as there's singing and stuff but its in the same spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Quantic, some dj shadow tracks, soundscape, nameless, kinobe. all good relaxing vibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Fair play folks didnt realise there was so many people out there into Ambient,nothing like a fat spliff of quality weed listening to some chilled beats.... :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm sure if you like ambient music, you'll have a few Brian Eno cd's - there are a number of them not available in the shops, which you can get from his website. Music for a Civic Recovery Centre being my favorite.

Enoshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Maximilian wrote:
    I was just going to reply to this thread and say something about Lackluster - had no idea they were Dublin based though.
    Lackluster is just one guy. He's from Finland but moved to Dublin recently.

Yeah but I heard he has multiple personality disorder. So swivel!

(*cough*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 esajuhaniruoho

Maximilian wrote:
    Yeah but I heard he has multiple personality disorder. So swivel!

(*cough*)

not for long in dublin.. returning january. no gigs beside the 24th oct DEAF one which will probably be a rather lax one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

not for long in dublin.. returning january. no gigs beside the 24th oct DEAF one which will probably be a rather lax one.

Wow! Thanks for visiting Esa, hope that internet-limited Ireland was indeed conducive to making music.

/me is listening to Can'o'lard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 esajuhaniruoho

Cloud wrote:
    Wow! Thanks for visiting Esa, hope that internet-limited Ireland was indeed conducive to making music.

/me is listening to Can'o'lard

i've got a bit of music done. if there were any venues where one could do a proper listening session / chill session for a few hours (maybe 3-4, i've got a total of 9,5 hours of new wavefiles, dont know what that really is culled down to actual music).. i'd do one. but since there doesnt seem to be, and thus far havent come across anyone who wants to do anything such as this, sadly i cannot do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭keithdowney

some ambient faves from Psychonavigation Records HQ!

- Brian Eno "Apollo","ON LAND","DISCREET MUSIC"...
    - IO an MLO production.(an Lp on Rising High)
    - Future Sound Of London "Lifeforms"
    - Artificial Intelligence 2 comp
    - The Black Dog "bytes"
    - Biosphere "Substrata"

jesus there's loads more obviously but that should put you asleep.

Ta,Keith

[url]HTTP://WWW.PSYCHONAVIGATION.COM[/url]

Advertisement