Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security heads-up regarding gun cabinets

Options
  • 27-09-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

So, a fair few of you may have seen the recent articles about Kryptonite bike locks that turn out to be easily overcome using a bic biro.

What you might not have heard is that the same trick works on some cheaper models of gun cabinet like those made by Stack-On. Dunno if any of you have gun cabinets with similar cylindrical locks, but I thought we ought to give a heads-up for those who do to check and see if their rather expensive firearms are as secure as they thought they were!

1035941_1096090646.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i love reading about things like that. a real kick in the arse for the manufacturers, and hopefully enough to get people to realise that a lock is usually the weakest part of your security setup.

I wonder how well known this trick was before the press got a hold of it. I expect that the amount of bic biros being robbed from Easons will take a jump..

did you know that a lot of padlocks can be opened with a shim made from a drinks can ? I read about it on the net (where else!) , and have been able to open all the padlocks around my house. takes about 30 seconds to make, and even less to open the lock.

Advertisement