Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid Damage

• 27-09-2004 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I had got a previous post but it had been deleted for a fair reason i guess....

You can see it at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189937

But anyway if you ready the backround story you will see why i'm asking this question which is: Has anyone even been told that mositure damage can be caused from you breathing? Should phones really be made that sensitive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

which phone did you have.
    they should normally be okay to a certain extent of moisture, but to be honest, I haven't seen a phon, which goes all the way down to your yapper for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Did the claim that it had been water damaged come from an O2 shop re: a Nokia by any chance ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

It was a nokia 6610i and i never actually went near O2 at i just went to Nokia itself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

"Moisture damage" seems to be the get-out-of-jail card for phone suppliers and insurance companies. Warranty claims and insurance claims can be dismissed with two simple words "moisture damage". After all, how can the customer dispute it? Go off and get an independent analysis that would cost more than the phone (without subsidy!).

If a phone can't take moisture generated by breating it should not be on the market. You should ask them to give it to you in writing it could be a sales clerk chancing their arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

A mate of mine got a phone back from repair from carphone warehouse and it was water damaged, but they had a full report and close up digital photo of the water damage (green bits on the metal) so it was very hard to argue. Still he was pissed about it.

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Now that it has come back, does your mate agree that it was water damage? Does he recall immersing the unit in water some how or other? The reason for my question is to try and establish some sort of credibility level for the claim of "moisture damage". If he does not recall a liquid incident then it is clear that these units are prone to moisture damage in normal operation. One would then have to ask if its fit for the purpose intended ... are you as a consumer getting value from the product you purchased.

It could be worth a try in the small claims court if somebody believes that they have taken due care and attention with their phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

For once you are on the right Track BrianD :)

A phone sold in Ireland ...and prone to water damage

a) from ambient moisture

and/or

b) sold without a mask to trap moisture from your breath

and/or

c) where the sales person in the shop did not advise you how to avoid damaging it by breathing

Is unfit for the purpose as per the sale of goods act and you are entitled toa full refund or replacement of said phone by a phone which is compliant with some or all of the criteria a b c d above.

These Mobile Phone chains are all Dublin based so they will not show up in your local small claims court in Ballydehob and you will therefore win the case. I doubt they will how in Dublin either but they are unlikely to send anyone technical

M

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

I was in a situation before where i put my phone in the microwave at home and blew it up, just chancing my arm i brought it back to the shop and pretended i didn't know what had happened, i then go back a week later and the guy tells me it cant be fixed due to water damage...it was carphone warehouse and they had a photocopy of my phone and with a highlighter marked where the "water damage" was...surely this was completely made up as i didn't think there'd be too much water in the microwave!! i laughed anyway and told him what had really happened and he replied i would've been impressed if they were able to fix that one....so it seems that water damage is definatly their get out of jail card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭samo

Apparently even the sweat from you hand (lovely!) if your an avid texter is reason enough for them to try and explain something away as water damage, its kinda difficult to prove but ALSO not to prove. leaving near a kettle is another reason that I've heard Nokiam (Via CPW) use, they are extremely inventive over water damage

Advertisement