Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noise coming from my car when I start driving.

Options
  • 27-09-2004 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Recently I've noticed that when I start my car and reverse, there's seems to be a grinding/screeching noise coming from the back of the car. Also when going around corners (or a roundabout), the same screeching can be heard. It appears to be only initally when I start the car but it does not continue i.e. if I reverse when parking having travelled for a while, it's fine.
    A mechanic told me it's to do with suspension and "it happens to all cars" which I find a bit odd.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

My guess would have been the shocks or the suspension aswell, they need replacing after some time, just from the wear, but I would rather go with the shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LazStanaridis

Any idea of the cost involved in replacing the shocks?

The impression I got from the mechanic was, although he reckoned it was the suspension, there was no urgency, if any, in getting anything replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Any idea of the cost involved in replacing the shocks?

The impression I got from the mechanic was, although he reckoned it was the suspension, there was no urgency, if any, in getting anything replaced.

That's poor advice from a mechanic if your suspension is shot it can seriously compromise the handling of your vehicle in an emergency or in adverse weather, It's not worth your life get it fixed if it needs to fixed don't forget winter is around the corner.

"don't forget winter is around the corner"

- another reason why I'm getting this checked out.

Although this was what the mechanic said to me, I wasn't entirely happy just to leave it like that, hence I decided to post here and see what suggestions I got.
    I do plan to bring it elsewhere for further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I hate diagnoses over the internet - its a bit like asking what is causing the dull ache in the back of my head. I would like to suggest that you find another (competent) mechanic and get your brakes checked asap. Without knowing what car or its condition it is impossible to know but if it has rear disc brakes and the pads are down to the metal then they might grind when cold or cornering. Your wheel bearings could also be worn or there could simply be a piece of shim/metal rubbing somewhere. Did the car recently pass an NCT?

'ceptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm with 'ceptor on this. Though bearings is unlikely if only cos they tend to grind andf graunch whenever there is wheel movement. Sounds like mech needs a slap! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

hard to know but I'd say the noises are coming from your brakes. Brakes can squeak and grind a bit first thing in the morning due to brake dust and surface rust on the discs and glazed pads. After a couple of uses, the brakes clean themselves and the noises go away. This is fairly normal so that could explain your mechanic's comments.

If your brake pads were worn down to nothing I'd imagine you'd get grinding noises but they would happen everytime you braked not just when cold. Still, get it checked out, you don't want to take any chances with your brakes.

It doesn't sound like a problem with wheel bearings, suspension etc.

BrianD3

Thanks for the replies.
    My main reason for posting was not to find out the exact cause of the problem but moreso to get further opinions on the "Don't worry about it" from the mechanic as I thought (as most of you also think) that it was a strange thing to say.

It was last year when the car last had its NCT.

The car was serviced recently and the brake pads were changed but the noise continues.

I have arranged to get it checked out with another mechanic who I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

I recently had the same problem with my front wheels, grinding of metal and screeching of breaks at times. I guesed it was the brake pads at the front and when checked just yesterday, i was correct and had them replaced. I'm inclined to agree with the other posts, sounds like a brake thing...

Also, anyone know how to sort this problem.

I was also told yesterday that the two rear wheel bearings need replacing.....the garage i went to didnt have the parts at the time (main dealer funny enough)....Anyone know where i can get them done? Kwik Fit or one of those places?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Jokah wrote:
    I recently had the same problem with my front wheels, grinding of metal and screeching of breaks at times. I guesed it was the brake pads at the front and when checked just yesterday, i was correct and had them replaced. I'm inclined to agree with the other posts, sounds like a brake thing...

Also, anyone know how to sort this problem.

I was also told yesterday that the two rear wheel bearings need replacing.....the garage i went to didnt have the parts at the time (main dealer funny enough)....Anyone know where i can get them done? Kwik Fit or one of those places?

Thanks
    What kind of the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Hi,

97 Mark 3 Golf. 50k on the clock.

Advertisement