Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great quote on Iraq

Options
  • 27-09-2004 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

From Yahoo! news story on US administration's hopes for Iraq:

Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.), chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, said [Bush] administration officials have told him privately that they have lowered their expectations. "They've definitely recalibrated their goals," he said. "One of them told me: 'When we went in there, I thought we would build American-style democracy. Hell, I'd be happy with Romanian-style democracy now.' "

Classic quote. Sorry for the fluff but I had to share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

ionapaul wrote:
    "They've definitely recalibrated their goals," he said. "One of them told me: 'When we went in there, I thought we would build American-style democracy. Hell, I'd be happy with Romanian-style democracy now.' "

Well that's the problem with trying to enforce liberal democracy at gunpoint. I believe that Western democracy with some variety of market economy is the best system for delivering peace and prosperity. The Iraqis would be better off in the long run if they accepted it. But it's futile and counter-productive to force it on people.

It's also naive to assume that this was a war for oil - $50 a barrel? I don't see it.

My pet conspiracy theory I'm formulating at the monent (no evidence for it - but that would spoil the fun) is that a war in the Middle East which raises oil prices suits Bush very nicely.

Q. What is Bush's background?
    A. He's a former oil company executive.

Q. Who is one pf the main sources of funds for the Republican Party?
    A. Oil companies.

Q. If you own an oil company what do you want from it?
    A. Big Profits

Q. What's the sweetest and easiest way to increase profits?
    A. Put up the price.

Everyones a winner!

I've read that most of the oil used in the US comes from the US, Mexico and Venezuela. Only about 20% is from the Persian Gulf, it's Europe and the Far East who are most dependent on Gulf oil. However I assume the $50 a barrel price applies to all oil production. Maybe I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Am I the only one to hear this news that Saddam will run in the new iraqi elections...and that 42% of an opinion poll want to see hi back!?

Maybe...

www.informationclearinghouse.info

http://www.zaman.org/?bl=international&alt=&trh=20040921&hn=12424

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eep! Can you imagine if he actually won. It would totally fuk the US over.

Although I would say its not going to happen. There is another party that had a chance of winning and the US refused to let them join the elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

also when squinty rumsfeld said the other day that they may only hod elections in some areas some safe ares of the country i was like hmm that sounds dodgey so they'll only hold elections in the areas they have more control over... back in the day that was called gerrymandering or something like it

anyone got any good links on afghan and iraqi democractic elections

of course jimmy carter who ok'd venuzuala referendum is having doubts over florida?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

pork99 wrote:
    My pet conspiracy theory I'm formulating at the monent (no evidence for it - but that would spoil the fun) is that a war in the Middle East which raises oil prices suits Bush very nicely.
    Suits the arms companies most of all I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Suits the arms companies most of all I reckon.

well as I said
    Everyones a winner!

which is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

The Bush adminstration gerrymandering an election, what utter rot.
    As for there being any other reason for the war in Iraq, like public opinion, distraction, arms purchases, readminstrating of social welfare, medical and educational funding to the armed and intellgence services, seizing the 2nd largest oil supply in the world, building a military strong point in the middle east, imperialist empire-expanding, impressing daddy, carrying out the goals of the rather scary organision Project for a New American Century, are all ridiculas. Bush is an honest, intelligent man, and he only invaded saddam having weapons of mass distruction (where did he hide them, we'll never know).

Anyway, it'll (the oil) all be all gone in about 15 years, then it'll get interesting.

Advertisement