Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

burton's planet of the apes????????

• 27-09-2004 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

what the hell is up with the ending? watched it the other night for the second time. i'm still baffled.

can anyone shed some light

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a really, really bad film

I think I blocked the ending from my memory, but I do remember it was a really.. really bad film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

alienhead wrote:
    what the hell is up with the ending? watched it the other night for the second time. i'm still baffled.

can anyone shed some light

I dunno but it was the biggest "TUNE IN NEXT WEEK" ending I've ever seen in a film.

I assume the apes must have decided the general was right and killed off all the humans :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

but he landed on a different planet, it had 2 moons.
    bus77 wrote:
    I dunno but it was the biggest "TUNE IN NEXT WEEK" ending I've ever seen in a film.

I assume the apes must have decided the general was right and killed off all the humans :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

alienhead wrote:
    but he landed on a different planet, it had 2 moons.

And it was also a contemporary Washington DC, not the future that Marky Mark was from.

I figure, they left Monkey-Tim Roth in the space ship... so he must have worked out how to use it and traveled through the vortex thing back into Earth's past and took the place of Abe Lincoln (Ape Lincoln, if you will), and then in 1953 they decided to erect an additional moon for some reason or other...

Bad film... but Helena Bonham Carter looked nice as a chimp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ah, i see
    And it was also a contemporary Washington DC, not the future that Marky Mark was from.

I figure, they left Monkey-Tim Roth in the space ship... so he must have worked out how to use it and traveled through the vortex thing back into Earth's past and took the place of Abe Lincoln (Ape Lincoln, if you will), and then in 1953 they decided to erect an additional moon for some reason or other...

Bad film... but Helena Bonham Carter looked nice as a chimp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

hahahaha that was Helena Bonham Carter?! coulda sworn it was Janet Jackson!!

woulda loved to see her smoke through that monkey mask.

by the by.... that was the worst ending of a film ever!! Ape-raham Lincoln!? ROLFMAO!!! how the **** can two completely different races of animals have an identical society? in fact.... that film made no sense whatsoever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hated it.

And it's not just the fact that it was a terrible film, but it was the film that spawned that horrible "Re-imagining" bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Go see the original with Charlton Heston - that was a solidly made film!

The new one's not worth thinking about tbh.

Yeah rubbish and very disappointing...

It seemed to be made by people who didnt take the original seriously at all...the remake seemed to be very tongue in cheek..the space station commander tells Wahlberg to "get his monkey out".....Wahlberg goes after the lost ape and says "I gotta get my chimp"....jeez

What about the big battle near the end where, hurray!, all the good guys get killed by the baddies??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea, it was really bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

I watched it last night hoping the ending would make sense the second time around, but it didn't it was just rubbish. I went onto IMDB.com and read this...
    Sorry, but that's not it, at least not according to Burton who took an
    extraordinarily long time explaining it in his commentary on the DVD. It's
    funny, but he even seemed agitated having to explain it on the DVD because it
    seemed like he didn't understand why all these audiences did not GET IT.

Basically, between the time we see Thade trapped and the time we see Davidson
    land on Earth, Thade managed to escape, get into "the other pod", autopilot
    back to Earth *farther* back in time than Davidson went, and screw future
    history from at least the 1800's onward. According to Burton on the DVD:

He wanted to "end this movie on a question mark" -- that was his intent. So,
    the confusion of the audience, total confusion, was his intent. He did defend
    his work by saying "it's a fine line about how far you go and how far you
    don't go". Uh-huh. "To me, somebody going back to someplace he thinks he's at
    and finding out he's not there is logical; I mean, there's less logic to
    exactly know what he's going back to. So, I actually, I mean, I'm not sure
    what people are responding to, because for me I had no problem with the
    ending. So, if they do another movie, it's about finding things out, sort of.
    The people like wanting to know how and where and what time this is and all
    that, that's where ... for me, to me I wouldn't have taken it any further, I
    wouldn't have taken it any further, I wouldn't have explained it any more if I
    could've, whatever. That's where wanting to end it is on that sort of ...
    vibe."

Yes, all of that is a direct quote from him -- it sounds even more
    scatter-brained on the DVD if you listen to it and the whole defense went on
    and on and on. I think the honest truth is that they just didn't think through
    the ending (where/when/how) and they DID NOT CARE -- they had a certain image
    they wanted to end the movie on, and they did it regardless of whether it made
    sense or not. To be fair, I don't know whether to blame the writers (3
    according to IMDB.com) or the director, but I have to believe that a large
    chunk of it belongs to Burton especially since he seemed to imply in the above
    quote that he simply accepted the ending and didn't try to change it, like it
    was originated by the writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I thought the movie was utter crud to be honest. However, the movie ending is far more faithful to the book then the 1968 movie, though it changes a few major things and drops some plot explanations on the way. In the book, we know that the other planet (what's is called? Soror? Sotor?) was once ruled by humans who grew decadent and lazy and were eventually overthrown by apes. We also know that Davidson travels forward in time through the vortex, about 700 years into the future and hence visits the other planet about 700 years in our future. The other planet is a sister planet of Earth y'see, if you haven't fallen asleep already. Stuff happens, not much of it all that philosophical, though the space monkeys have flying cars (yay!). Davidson eventually returns home through the vortex but returns home to our future, hundreds of years in the future, where the same thing that happened on the other planet has happened here - apes have overthrown the nasty humans, changed statues and so on and that's about it. Very exciting stuff and the book didn't explain the plot holes that it had. Oh there's the framing story that the story is told by two astronauts who find a message left in space by Davidson and at the end we find out that these astronauts are apes too. Mind-numbing.

Better than the movie though, where Limbo is pulling a tube out of the pod at the end (cough) which obviously contains "Time Travel For Apes", we have Davidson travelling back in time on his way back to Earth and there's a probable really complicated explanation of how the original apes got to the other planet and how Thade got back to Earth before Davidson involving space clouds where travelling through clouds affects the time shift for the next traveller and the traveller travels further back in time the longer they wait on the other side. I made the last part up because they didn't explain it any better in the movie, given that they didn't explain it at all. And the fuzzy ending (taken straight from the book as the first of the two final twists) that makes little sense unless you're reading the book at the same time. Oh and we get to hear Charlton Heston doing the "damn them all to hell" line again and wasn't that worth paying to see it? Thought not.

Burton half explains some of it on the DVD commentary I gather (well, actually he's apparently annoyed that no-one understood the movie he made that he'd taken the plot-explaining mini-plots out of and says something about someone going back in time before Davidson). I wouldn't bother. Tim Roth was good though, he usually is.

Go with the simpler explanation: Marky Mark, brother of that ugly chap in New Kids on The Block, goes into space with a monkey, visits a cool planet with other monkeys where he dreams they all talk and wear badly designed threads, wakes up (thank you Dallas), escapes home in his space ship and lands at the Lincoln memorial on Halloween. Someone's defaced the memorial and all the cops, who've just arrived to investigate, are wearing gorilla suits for charity. Nice one Mr Burton. Laugh? I nearly cried[1]

Damn dirty script writers. Damn them all to hell.

[1]Actually this is a lie. I saw this pile of crud in a Japanese cinema where people not only don't roar abuse at a crap movie, they even sit in silence and with reverence while watching comedies. And their popcorn is pre-prepared and cardboardy. Boo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

but i think its fair to say that apes shouldn't be allowd rule our planet

i dont think we should allow apes evolve to be smart, like us, because they are quite strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

chump wrote:

i dont think we should allow apes evolve to be smart, like us, because they are quite strong

You monkey oppressor, you!

Yes... watch out for the monkeys... my monkey is very proactive...

protest2.jpg

chump wrote:

Don't forget that they have opposable big toes as well. Bastards, they can open a door, use two tin openers and pull a trigger all at the same time. It's double oppression from them with their fancy foot thumbs. They've got to be stopped - no more teaching apes to read. Especially not monkeyfudge's monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes... watch out for the monkeys... my monkey is very proactive...

protest2.jpg
    Soooo, are you like the man in the big yellow hat or what?

Meenwhile, back on topic, that was indeed a brutal film. I saw it in the cinima when it first came out and was more than a little píssed off with it. I watched it again on Sunday to see if it would make any sense, but it didn't. That ending was just plain stupid. If Burton's intent was to confuse people then he succeeded.

jor el wrote:
    Soooo, are you like the man in the big yellow hat or what?

Who? Wizbit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

"Don't mention the War" As one of Burtons biggest fans I should try to defend this movie but Feck it, how can I? It was totally and utterly poo-filled and disturbing to watch(because of its sheer pooeyness) I mean I love Burton, as in WORSHIP him, but I've no idea what the hell he was thinking and I think its best if everyone just erases this movie from their meomory.

Bunnyefey wrote:
    "Don't mention the War" As one of Burtons biggest fans I should try to defend this movie but Feck it, how can I?

And I feel the same way about apes. I can't defend the movie either.

Nice Dolby Surround Sound Mix in the film though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who? Wizbit?
    I should have been more clear, the Man in the yellow hat is curious George's minder, and you also have a monkey.
    ge1.jpg
    See?

Bunnyefey wrote:
    "Don't mention the War" As one of Burtons biggest fans I should try to defend this movie but Feck it, how can I?
    Yeah, you're right, just don't. I've long been a fan of Burton. Unlike you, I don't have a blowup Jack Skellington but my Nightmare before Christmas video is worn away (makes note, DVD going cheap on play.com), love the soundtrack and I even thought Mars Attacks was marvellous (I could dgo on about Scissorhands and Ed Wood but you get the drill). He's had a pretty good hit rate except for POTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

after reading all the explanations of the ending im still not sure if i completely understand it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I kinda liked it in a "leave your brain at reception" type of way...

Advertisement