Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose an MP3 head unit please

Options
  • 27-09-2004 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I need an MP3 head unit. I plan to have a sub, amp and 6x9 setup hooked into it so Im not sure which one would suit. I have seen a few nice ones on this website.

Can I get some help from you guys and gals?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Oh oh the Pioneer DEH-P80MP OEL MP3/WMA CD Tuner looks damn nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh that's not too shabby, does it come in black? Maybe you should buy the tackiest one....there seems to be no way to avoid the tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I have a Sony CDXMP30 in my car - best head unit i've ever owned. I travel some really crappy roads and the CD NEVER skips...think it might be the CDXMP40 now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I bought the sony cdx-r3300 from this very site two weeks ago along with an adaptor for the steering column controls. Very pleased with the products and the assistance give by the company with a couple of problems (of my making) that I encountered. In fact the only negative thing I can say is the buttons on the unit a v.small making it not very user friendly but this is not a problem for me, as mentioned, the controls on the steering wheel are still usable!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

You bought it from thsi site from a company? Is there a business on these boards that sells head units? I'd be interested to know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

no, from incarexpress (see loobz's link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

if you are planning to get a sub + amplifier, then look at something that has the least one output out or sub out.

to ad a set of 6x9's, if you already have 4 speakers in the car, then look for something with 2 outputs.

On In Car Express website - Sony CDX 52200 - €145.975
    At my local car audio shop - Sony CDX 52200 - €219.99

You do the maths - what a saving. Delivery excluded but its feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Hey i had one of those sony flip down's before and it was alright but really got fed up with it after a while the whole flip down novely wore off and i got pissed off not being able to read the display on it!

Since i changed the car i have a pioneer 7600 and it is easily the best head unit i've had or used by a mile.

I know a lot of people who swear by pioneer and alpine, i myself don't like alpine. The reason the sony stuff is so cheap is because argos buy's it in bulk of sony so they have to make stuff to suit argos price range thus sony stuff isn't fully upto scratch compared to pioneer or alpine etc.

*I was told about the sony stuff from SIM in derry.

Farlz

Cool.

So whats the beef woth the Pioneer DEH-P7600MP Farls? Whats the best thing about it? Anything u dont like about? Whats the screen like? Does it display the same stuff over and over to the point where u just get sick of it?
    Sorry about all the questions.
    Its just I dont want to read a review on the net somewhere that just praises everything about it. Its good to hear what someone has to say about it if they have had time to play with it first. I have a feeling that is the case with your experience Farls - let me know if u could please.

• Advertisement

Also, I have decided to buy my set up from In Car Express and get it sent over to me. I think I'll be ripped off if I buy from a shop.

Could someone suggest an amp/sub set up. Basically Im unfamiliar with Ohms and stuff and I presume this is important when matcing amp with a sub. I have a budget of about €300 euro for an amp and sub. Also if someone could shed some light on a set of 6x9's. I have about €120 to spend on those. All info appreciated.

just to let you know, if i can get away with spending less than I mentioned above, I will. But I presume spending less would just get me inferior equipment?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah I've the predecessor of the P7600MP, the DEH-P7500MP. I'd be interested to know what they changed, apart from a few facial changes. My 7500 works fantastic and was worth the extra money IMO. The display can get repetetive though when you're driving you don't be staring at the OEL screen! :) I did download the Pioneer software to make new OEL Screensavers but I'm not very artistic. The related Pioneer OEL site doesnt' have many extra OEL screenies to offer. But, at least the option is there to change the screenies if you like. On a sidenote, if anyone knows a resource of those OEL screensavers (Google didn't help me), let me know :)

Thats something i didnt know about Byte. Thanks. That Pioneer site has a few on there. Are they pre-loaded onto the player already? If i find any more, I'll let ya know.

Anything else about that player that I should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I got a Pioneer DEH-P80MP and it is the business to be sure.

But I had tried the 5600 before that and it is a great head-unit. Just the the P80MP has 60x4! Who needs an amplifier! This gives out all the power a non-deaf person could ever want! And easy sub adjustment. The works tbh. :D

Hey, the big step up that i was told about is there's an output that if you have say a corsa then it will implement the wee screen in the dash also, i think it works with 206's, corolla's etc as well, don't quote me on this tho!

I heard about updating the screen byte but haven't tried it yet, if you have a link to that software i'll try a few designs!

The best thing about it loobz in my opinion is the sound quality on standard speakers in my focus it is actually better than the subs and amp i had in the last car!!!

I can't really think of anything i don't like about it at the moment apart from on the screensavers when i'm in the car at the night they will be dark for a few mins they go really bright and distract you, but this software might let me change this!

Screen is excellent, unlike the sony you can read the display at all times, thats another update that the 7600 got.

The screen is a bit repetitive but unless you get a dvd player thats going to happen with everything.

Farlz

Thanks Farls - good info there. Im considering purchasing that player. I happen to have a Corsa. How much did u pay for it if u dont mind me asking. If I get it delivered from in car express it will set me back €335.858. I have a feeling it would be alot more even in shops who only deal with in car entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

335? why dont you go for the Alpine then? I've had alot of different make and I settle with the Alpine 9812RB, very happy with this one!

The Pioneer DEH-P80MP is a bit too rich for my blood, but again 60x4 is excellent. If i get, lets say, a 200 watt sub and a 200 watt amp just to power the sub, would ye think 50x4 would be sufficient for 4 speakers, 2 front and 2 back? Im a little unsure about this.

If I buy from a shop they would obviously match power ratios etc with their infinite knowledge. But because I want to save a few $$$ and buy the gear online, I will need to do the mixing and matching myself.

Thanks again people. very interesting and helpful so far.

I got mine about a month ago for €275 but i think he normally charges €380 for that unit.

It will work perfect with your corsa then if its a new model with the wee screen in it.

My advice on the amp, sub etc is get the head unit first and fit it, have a listen and if its not enough then think about getting the rest. Keep an eye out on the for sale board too, often see ICE components there.

Farlz

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Loobz

Yes, there are stuff preloaded on the headunit already. The output is good enough for me.

I have a Corsa also, and just used the standard 6 speakers in the car already, though I then put 6*9's on the rear shelf, as the rear speakers were crap and couldnt handle the output at high levels :) Haven't bothered with amps yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement