Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Porting Problem

Options
  • 27-09-2004 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

My friend called Meteor on Saturday morning to get ported over from Vodafone. Meteor are claiming that Vodafone will not release the number to them. My friend is getting really annoyed and now and considering not changing. If it is as Meteor claim and the problem is with Vodafone surely this this is illegal and comreg should fine them?

Is there some sort of regulation from Comreg stating a maximum time allowed for changeover? Something she can quote to get things moving? Is she entitled to free credit or anything? Has anyone else had this experience porting?

Thanks
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Vodafone are terrible when it comes to porting, they had a situation a few months ago where systems were down and numbers took upto a week due to backlog to be cleared. They only port between 10am and 2pm on sat and sun and then porting continues next day outside these hours. If there is a problem with port they dont necesserarily notify meteor, but meteor should get an update email approx every couple of hours from FMNP team in vodafone, meteor are fairly good at chasing networks up in cases like these but vodafone very slow to respond.

I would recommend your friend call vodafone to lodge a complaint as comreg do have the power to fine in the case of porting errors but the only other issue is if your friend was billpay and was porting to pay as you go (or vice versa) with meteor this can cause problems if done incorrectly in store, would chase it up with vodafone and also 1905 and hope that somebody on the ball will get on tech helps case to get resolved.

lastly if a port is done is normal porting hours eg between 10 and 2pm weekends or between 8 and 6pm mon-fri it is to be completed in approx 2 hours, outside of these times it will complete next day

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I hear that 20,000 people moved from Vodafone to Meteor at the weekend. Me and her indoors switched yesterday - me from Voda, she from O2. She's up and running nicely, while I'm still active on Vodafone. Seems it's taking a couple of days for Vodafone to switch people over, and it's taking a long time to switch properly when it does happen.

Does anyone know if it's true that ComReg are fining Voda on a daily basis for dragging their heels on transfers?

Doop dooby doo doo...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have heard from friends in vodafone that the problem is completly a vodafone issue. A massive number of people are currently trying to port from voda to meteor. It has "caused" their systems to crash.

If you are going to complain then direct complaints to voda and comreg. voda should have all ports done inside 2 working hours.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My wife went to a Vod shop in Cork this morning to port _from_ Meteor and was told it would take a while because their system has crashed etc etc but that it should be done this evening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 galvionie

I heard today from someone in the know, that vodafone are facing a fine of €1,000,000 from Comreg. Dont know how much truth is in that. But its something like €24 per port that delays.

Bad day at the office for vodafone.

I think its a case of life's better without Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Is there some sort of regulation from Comreg stating a maximum time allowed for changeover?

might be worth seeing if this is relevant:
    Lodging your complaint/query with ComReg

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I've ported from Vodafone to Meteor, and it was done overnight because I rang up late. Meteor must rolling in it now. The luxury of having O2 and Meteor means its extremely difficult to be without coverage. And of course free msg's, cheap calls.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well heself went in again today and was told that there's a backlog since 23 September for porting... Comreg have only one person who knows anything about it and she's in a meeting...our problem is that we want to leave Meteor and go to Voda seeing as my work phone is voda as well...

Edit: Comreg rang me back and said they have had a number of complaints re Voda.. we passed the Voda shop and went in and the porting process was started - we were told that new port requests can skip the queue - 6 hours later not much has happened but we did get a text from Meteor regarding the move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tried to port a number from voda to meteor today and was told by meteor that comreg has shut down vodafones porting until Tuesday. WTF is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Smelly Cat

Bond-007 wrote:
    Tried to port a number from voda to meteor today and was told by meteor that comreg has shut down vodafones porting until Tuesday. WTF is going on?
    That sucks, I hope that comreg kill them for this foul up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement