Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blow our own trumpet.

Options
  • 27-09-2004 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

This weekend three members of the ICPSA were in Slovenia shooting at an Olympic Trech Competition. It was the World Cup Finals where the winners of the various ISSF World Cup qualifying events held throughout the year shoot off to decide the final rankings and an overall winner etc. Irelands David Malone was there by right of having won a World Cup qualifier in Egypt.
    As it would not be economic to run a shoot for just 10 shooters and as competitors were coming from America, Australia etc the final was run in conjunction with the Beretta Grand Prix.
    David finished in 6th place in the Cup element, but Tom Allen tied for first place overall with Olympic Champion Alipov in the Grand Prix. Then Tom who has had a fantastic year on the circuit managed to beat the Russian in a single barrel sudden death shoot off to claim the title.
    To add cream to the cake, the third member of the group, Sean Mc Geehan, helped the two boys to win the Grand Prix Team event.
    We get enough negative press and little or no credit for our sporting achievements, so it is always nice to have something to crow about.
    Never forget that shooting is one of very few sports where we can take on the best in the world and beat them. And all this is due to sheer talent, determination and effort and in spite of our perceived lack of facilities and definite lack of sufficient funding. So shooters of this island, be proud and hold your heads high. Oh, and if you can pass this information on, please feel free to do so. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Great result. Well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Excellent result. So that's two team bronzes in World Cups, an individual gold in a World Cup, an excellent placing in the Olympics and now a wonderful performance in a World Cup Final. Not bad for one year from a small country, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banana Man

You are right Sparks, what an excellent year. And to think what COULD be done with vision and enthusiasm !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banana Man

Comic Sans MSBlue :rolleyes: You are right Sparks, what an excellent year. And to think what COULD be done with vision and enthusiasm !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Any chance of the ICPSA on their website recognising Derek Burnetts achivements at the Olympics, looking at it you would not know he was there at all. Looking at the site there seems to be a bit of a love fest going on and not everyone is invited!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

QUOTE=TrapperJohn]"Any chance of the ICPSA on their website recognising Derek Burnetts achivements at the Olympics, looking at it you would not know he was there at all..........."

What bits and pieces there are on the web site are there because people went to the bother of typing them up and submitting same to the Association.

Mostly the pieces are submitted by people who were actualy at the event or are compiled from supplied detailed confirmed information.

If people care to submit news etc we will endevour to put it up.

There should have been more about Derek on the web site during the Games and that is something we do regret, but at the time we were still only getting to grips with the recently returned access ourselves. This is a reason, not an excuse.

Target.ie which is/was an independent site dedicated to the ISSF disciplines did provide a much appreciated cushion in the supply of information during this period and they had the advantage of a personal presence in Athens. I/we were in contact with the web site both in the lead up to the games and during the event and information was exchanged on an ongoing basis.

All the news pieces and notices on the site now are kept as "Current" as possible and we will try to include all the disciplines.

"Looking at the site there seems to be a bit of a love fest going on and not everyone is invited........"

Bit lost here. Any hints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Does the ICPSA not have a PRO whos job it is to promote the achivements of the membership? so with something as important as the Olympics why could we not have a report on the website about it? He managed to write plenty about the home international and the shoot in slovenia but why not the Olympics? I agree we should have lots of news on the ICPSA site.

Does the ICPSA not have a PRO whos job it is to promote the achivements of the membership? so with something as important as the Olympics why could we not have a report on the website about it? He managed to write plenty about the home international and the shoot in slovenia but why not the Olympics? I agree we should have lots of news on the ICPSA site.

I have just had a look at the web site and I see that there are results or notices posted for OT, DT, DTL, SKEET, ABT.............. Was there a problem or inaccuracy with the two reports you mentioned?

It appears that the PRO was spending many hours a day in the lead up to the games and during the event dealing with the general media both arranging interviews etc and fielding questions and requests for information. While he was in contact with Dereks manager during the event on a hit and miss basis, he actualy had to rely on the ISSF web site for up to date information during the competition.

Bearing in mind that he did this on a voluntary basis in tandam with his daily employment and that after the result and prior to Dereks return that the press and media were feted and accomodated in every way and no news desk or editor was left un contacted, it was not too bad an effort?

Maybe if he had been in Athens for first hand contact or if those involved had supplied him with a detailed account of what took place he may have been able to compile a similar piece for the site to the ones mentioned?????

If you read my last post you will see why the web site was not good as we would have wished (lack of access, which has now been corrected) and it was hoped that target.ie did make up for these short comings.

The website is in the process of a revamp and with any luck the finished product will be something to be proud of bearing in mind that those involved are also volunteers and learning as they go, and if no one informs us, how can we inform others...

You still have not helped me on the "...love fest....." issue and I am curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, to give you the point of view of the NTSA's PRO (me), the PRO's job is enormous when done the way it tends to get done in Ireland. Ideally, each club would have it's own dedicated PRO, all the club PROs would have a line of communication to each other and to the national PRO, and that way everyone would only have a small amount of work to do (your club hosts a competition, you write it up - a few paragraphs at most, maybe pictures if you have a digital camera, and the results - and send it to the local papers and the national PRO, who then puts it on the website and tries to get it in the national papers as well). In practise, however, the national PRO winds up doing everything with only a few exceptions - so I wind up doing all the writeups, running the website, moderating here, moderating on stirton.com, writing more than half the newsletter as well as drafting and printing and distributing it, and then on top of all that (which is just the reactive side of the job), there's the preplanning and specific projects and the media monitoring and watching for trends and so on (which is the proactive side of the job). The end result is that the PRO's job is never done to the standard I'd like it done to, and if I can't make a competition for whatever reason (I couldn't make the East Antrim Shooting Festival this year, for example, because I was at a friend's wedding on the weekend and couldn't get away before that point), then the PR for that event generally doesn't get done. There are some exceptions (Rathdrum, DURC, UCDRC and DRC have their own PROs, for example), but that's generally how it goes :( And it doesn't help when half the time you're having to fix fires started by your own shooters!

Believe me, it's a full-time job if done right, and it's having to be done by a volunteer - and the NTSA is somewhat smaller than the ICPSA, don't forget - I have a lot more leeway in how I organise things and don't have the same amount of work to do. I wouldn't particularly care to take on the ICPSA PRO's job!

I will pass your condolences on to our PRO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement