Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To get better at writing

Options
  • 27-09-2004 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Im doing the JC this year and i need to get better at answering questions in exams,ive started reading some articles in the irish times to increase my vocab and started reading books again :E

any tips? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

for the JC, try reading poetry and shakespears plays. Gives you a sense for how a group of words should sound rather than just what they should mean.
    difference between a good essay and a great essay.

I found milton very good for dramatic writing.
    Julius caesar was great for alliteration and word play (probably not the best, but it's what I read).
    I also read HP lovecraft's short stories. He has a way with words that creates a perfect scene without even seeming to try.

Your own tastes will differ. read lots. as wide a range of genres as you can. And above all, listen wel to what the other students say in class. The will teach you more than any notes or sample essays can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'll tell you something I found to work wonders in school. When I wrote a short story or essay and got it marked, I began to ask the teacher WHY it wasn't it an "A" standard and what could I do to make it that way. My teacher (bless him) was impressed and gave me tips on continuity, formulating non-repetetive sentances, keeping the plot interesting with twist etc. Just ask him/her when you have the oppurtunity. Wonders I tells ya :D

As LoLth said, expand your range of reading as much as you can too. Your end goal is always to keep the reader interested and different types of writing use different techniques to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Write a lot. The more you write (and the more you read, and read intelligently, seeing why people write sentences, paragraphs, chapters and whole novels the way they do), the better you'll write.

Advertisement