Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broad Band in Apartment Accomadation.

Options
  • 28-09-2004 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Im here in Cork, in student accomadation (UCC) and im staying in Farrenlea Hall.

It cost me 100 euros to get "broad band" for the year, but its not broad band its infact a network connection, that then goes out ot the Net.

The speed is not great and varies alot.

The thing im wondering about is, what kind of connection would they have going out from a place like this?

I mean by the looks of it I dont think its much faster that a 1mb line for the entire Residents, and that cant be that much, especially if anyone who wants to use it is paying 100 euros each.

Is there anyway I can se how much bandwidth is being used by X user?, or monitor network traffic?

Thanks.
    -Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It would more than likely be an ethernet network, with some amount of UCC's internet bandwidth allocated to it. There's no way to know for sure how much bandwidth is allocated to it without actually asking somone.

Sniffing traffic is the last thing you want to be doing - besides it being useless in telling how much internet bandwidth there is, you could get in a fair bit of trouble with the IT department for sniffing on their network.

Moving this over to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

When you say ethernet do you mean network, or is an ethernet something different.

The place im staying is about a 20min walk away from the UCC Campus and when i like at my "Entire Network", I dont see anything about the College there. Just other users computers and shared docs from the apartments. Would they still be able to link the college from that far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ethernet is likely the type of network they have..

If your accomadation is not on the Campus, its probably connected wirelessly. It is possible that the bandwidth in provided by an ISP..

For example, in DKIT, where Digiweb are based, they provide a wireless link to the student accomadation and as far as I know, it is totally seperate from the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Generaly what speed connection then would they have out to the internet for that sort of Network?

What other types of networks are there besides a "ethernet" one, and what exactly does an "ethernet" network do as opposed to other types of networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're best bet is probably to ask the IT dept. If you're connected to the main LAN on campus, then you shouldn't really be noticing much of a difference to web browsing speed, regardless of the connection, cos it'll be somewhere between 50-100Mbits.

If it's external, it's probably 2Mbps or maybe 5Mbps for the entire block. If a few people are downloading files from the net, it'll hamper speed, but if they're sharing files between themselves, it shouldn't make a difference. Pure speculation though. Those universities like to have crazy network configurations...

Ethernet is a type of network. The word ethernet is generally used to refer to the hardware used on the network - cables and adaptors, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement