Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeneys book on Irish management incompetence

Options
  • 28-09-2004 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I've read Feeneys book on management competence - its short, witty and skirts around the fringes of legality (Brown envelopes, Banking, Corruption, firing for fun, greased-up accountants, Etc.) - has anyone else read it / any views? My reviews can be seen at my webiste (see my profile)

Just got an advance copy of Frank Dunlops book 'Yes - Taoiseach' - will revert with views.

Liam.

edit: LoLth: no problems with book reviews. I do however draw the line at direct links to places to buy books from sites owned by the poster. Buy a banner (contact devore, cloud, regi or ecksor) but no advertisint for free. review the book if you want on boards but no pimping. First and only warning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I read it and thought it was boring, unoriginal and predictable. I think the author uses this site tho so I can't be too mean!

LoLth: I can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jack Feeney

Boring, unoriginal and predictable as a review sounds a little boring, unoriginal and predictable - Of all its reviews (from adults and people over 17) yours is a first -Try reading it and then reviewing it.

And don't worry about being 'mean' - authors are generally professional people and don't pay too much attention to reviews - especially when they come from people who don't really know what they're talking about. Whether its positive or negative doesn't really matter !

I'm not easily offended and you may find that many other writers are that way too.

All the best,
    Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LiamLawlor

Angel,

I don't think you've read the book - so I'm going to make a personal attack and completely avoid the issue. Isnt that really clever of me. Look at me everyone! I'm witty and clever!

Yours,
    Liam.

LoLth: dont do it again. The added insult was completely unnecessary and I really dont care for condescension in debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Boring, unoriginal and predictable as a review sounds a little boring, unoriginal and predictable - Of all its reviews (from adults and people over 17) yours is a first -Try reading it and then reviewing it.

And don't worry about being 'mean' - authors are generally professional people and don't pay too much attention to reviews - especially when they come from people who don't really know what they're talking about. Whether its positive or negative doesn't really matter !

I'm not easily offended and you may find that many other writers are that way too.

All the best,
    Jack.

dunno , he sounds a bit easily offended to me

Not so! Think about it - if you ever, ever have anything published, especially a book, you must accept both negative and positive feedback. If you're easily offended, you'll never be published again. Its that simple. Also, in getting to 'being published', most writers will have accepted years of rejections, lousy reviews and negative comments towards their manuscripts.

Whether negative or positive doesn't really matter - it's allways something that can be used to improve on, in subsequent publications. If someone states 'its a load of ****e' without qualifying as to why, I think you'll find many will ask why, if only out of curiousity. :rolleyes:

All the best,
    Jack.

• Advertisement

If you don't care, please stop sending me private messages :) and I'll point out AGAIN that RCSI is no longer private and I got in based on LC points not because my parents bought me a place. And yes I have read it, though it was everything I just said and expressed an opinion.......... which you asked people to do!

Angel,

Calm down - I have not and would not send you a PM. You've expressed your opinion and thats fine. Don't think I'll lose too much sleep - its only a book! :eek:

Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LiamLawlor

I've a brother-in-law currently in Med4 in UCD and two cousins who went through medicine at TCD - they all say the same. The RC is a good college, provides great qualifications and has some of the best staff in the country but its all about Money. If you can't get into UCD or TCD or anywhere else but have plenty of money.....RCSI. N0 offence intented.

Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I dont think this has anything to do with where someone is educated. Opinions were asked for and one was given. Granted not a favourable one but I'm not an evil dictator liek DeVore so I allow it :)

I do not however, allow personal attacks and insults. nor do I allow someone to be insulted and demeaned because of anothers apparent inferiority complex.

Last warning: No more of this. Stick to the topic at hand or I ban offenders. if it gets too bad, I lock the thread, something I dont want to do.

Angel: if you are receiving PMs form someone you dont want to receive them from either A: add that person to your ignore list (that's what it is there for) or B: report it to a mod / admin for verification.

edit: ps: Angel: It is usually the done thing to support your argument. If you find the book boring etc, please explain why, preferrably with quotations (use spoiler tags please). If an author wants feedback and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism even a bad review supported by examples will be useful.

Any constructive, honest, negative or positive book feedback is always appreciated. I do not care where anyone is educated. I thought it would be interesting, not just for me but for people interested in writing and possibly publishing, to start of a few discussions but apparantly this is not the place.

I apologise if I offended you Angel but I think its fair that statements of a generic and general nature be qualified. Enough said, You'll not see me here again.

Happy reading !

• Advertisement

Jack, give the posters a little time to read the book first. Also, Angel is only one review and has not had time to respond (and hopefully support her views).

perhaps there shall be others.

Ok firstly, yes you did send me a pm.... Secondly that used to be the case with RCSI now its under the free fees scheme and entry is 100% based on points. You pay reg fees as in any other college and that's it. To get back to the book, I would have given plenty of references and quotes except for the fact that I don't have the book any more as I read it ages ago (an advance copy I believe because I know people related to author 'Jack'). Sorry that I don't keep the book at my fingertips, I just remember the bad impression we were left with when we read it.

A bad impression of Management, of corporate goverance, of book content, of recruitment consultants, of accountants....? Your feedback would be useful and included in an unrelated project with a UK publisher.

Also, in what way is your contact 'related' to me? If you don't wish to post a reply to this, you can e-mail me at jackfeeney@o2.ie,

Thanks,
    Jack.

A bad impression of the way the book was written if I'm honest. My mother and I both read it and have both read similar books and nothing 'new' struck us about your book. I'm not saying it was rubbish or anything that was never the intention, In MY opinion it is average. It's just not the type of book that makes me want to read a sequel...

And as for the 'related' Q I'll send you a pm, ur not getting my email!

Angel,

I don't want your e-mail, just wanted you to qualify your statements a little - I sent you (PM) the same message I posted on the Boards - so whats the problem? Enough said, I give up! If there's any advice I could give to budding Irish writers : Publish anywhere but Ireland OR this is where advance copies will end out.

Happy Reading.
    Jack

'contact'

To be honest, I'm not going to tell you who I got the book off.... You already lied on the board by saying you hadnt sent me a pm which you had so how am I to know you're not gonna lie to the person I know about stuff I've said etc...

Angel,

I have a fair idea where you got your advance copy and rest assured, I'll be following up. Thanks for your feedback!

Boards is not the place for personal arguments (unless you count the personal issues board...).

thread locked.

Anyone wants to review mr. Feeney's book, feel free to start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement