Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to Learn?

Options
  • 28-09-2004 8:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. I'm extremely interested in getting back into Irish. I regret hugely that I came away from secondary school with hardly a word to my name, but now, at the age of 26, I'm starting to feel that if I don't give Irish a go now, I never will. Where would be a good place to start? Can anybody recommend a good Book/CD/Website? I would rather start solo with a tutorial, but not sure where to find one. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Fáilte is fiche romhat, a Dhublinario. There are many online resources. Gaeilge.ie is a new portal which might lead you in the right direction. Oideas Gael's online magazine Beo is aimed at learners, and there is a discussion forum. GAEILGE-B is an online discussion forum for beginners, and I think some of the folks there have online learning resources. Gaeltalk.net gives online tuition for a fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Much appreciated Yoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You could also go to the very intensive Gael-Linn courses - usually one starts in October and another in February. If you're "getting back to", then you'll probably want the meán-leibhéal - you can always ask to go up or down a class if you find you need more or can't keep up. Not sure what they are now; they used to be three nights a week, two hours a night for five weeks. Intensive and really excellent, taught by native speakers.

Oideas Gael in Donegal is probably the best known place for adults to go and take one-week courses - very much of a social element there; there are also courses in Ring (where whole families go), Connemara and Kerry, and I think Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭@rchives

You could also try Connolly Books, across the road from the clarence hotel, where they have regular nights and welcome non-speakers and learners. It's a great place to meet politically like-minded people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Don't forget your local Public Library, it is a hive of free information.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Gael Linn on Dame street opposite Central Bank can probably help. They run courses in Tri D on Dawson street. I'm 4 wks into a 6 week course. There;s about 12 students in class and it's going well.

Advertisement