Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Novel recommendation please

Options
  • 28-09-2004 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Loved V for Vendetta and the Watchmen ..... so where to next.

It doesen't have to be Alan Moore. I'm really just looking for something of the same standard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Have a look at 100 bullets, tis v.good.
    great script and storyline methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I need help on this one too. I'm relatively new to the whole thing. So far I am limiting myself to Batman.
    My collection (!) is as follows:
    Batman: Year One. I thought this was fantastic.
    The Dark Knight Returns. Does this even require a comment? True class.
    Kingdom Come. Way too many characters for a newbie. I had no clue what was going on! Great artwork though.
    The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Not nearly up to the standard set by Returns. Similair problem as Kingdom Cme; too many characters.
    Batman: War Drums. I liked this one a lot. It looked fantastic.
    Batman: Tales of the Demon. I find this one a struggle. Very dissapointing.

So, can you guys suggest any Batman graphic novels to me? Ideally, something that doesn't require a huge amount of prior knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book 1 and 2 are both really good , and by Alan Moore.

2000ad BUTTON MAN, i feel is really good, check it out. Rich men who hire pros to kill each other, as if its a game. theres 3 books to this but only the first is in print.

THE MAXX, as in the mtv show from a few years back

2000ad D.R .and QUINCH, one of my favourites, very funny space aliens causein trouble

2000as Halo Jones, is an old one, but still very good, set in the future

Most stuff by Brian Michael Bendis is good, its usually more alone the lines of crime trillers, like JINX, Torso, FIRE, hes also done a few Daredevil stories and now hes on the avengers,

THE Cal Macdonald comic is also pretty good, its a p.i. who fights the evils of the dead can be very funny at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I like the Invisibles, Authority and Planetary books :)

"Books of Magic" and Sandman's are a good bet for newbies too :) Just make sure with all of them that you start at the begining.

Then there is Bone and Cerebus, Black and white and a bit esoteric at times (especially the later cerebus books) but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

oooh, you could also check out the Kevin Smith origins of Daredevil re-write! Nice book to have kicking around ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The best graphic novel I've read in a long time is David Boring by Daniel Clowes (He did Ghost World, which is also worth a read)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Personally, if you liked Watchmen & V for Vendetta, I'd say take a look at Give Me Liberty (Frank Miller & Dave Gibbons) and Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis, Darick Robertson) as being in a similar vein.

Other stuff I'd suggest regardless of genre tastes would be the complete Maus (Art Spiegelman), Sandman (personally, I'd suggest avoiding Books Of Magic apart from the original Gaiman-penned miniseries - but I suppose if it takes your fancy go for it), anything by Daniel Clowes, Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine (haven't read any of his other stuff so I don't know if it's his best, but it was very good), and some Harvey Pekar stuff if you can find it (easons were carrying "The complete American Splendor" a while ago, they may still have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Thanks to all - Will be ordering - BUTTON MAN, David Boring, Transmetropolitan - any recommendation on best place to buy in Dublin or the Interweb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

well the Button man and , david boring are in forbidden planet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Velcrow wrote:
    Thanks to all - Will be ordering - BUTTON MAN, David Boring, Transmetropolitan - any recommendation on best place to buy in Dublin or the Interweb :)

As far as I know, Transmet at least should be in Forbidden Planet (depending on what it's like, your local branch of Easons may have it too - it's where I first found it, much to the shame of Other Realms). But I repeat what I've said elsewhere - start with Book 2 (Lust for life) of transmet to get a decent feeling for it. Book 1 by itself is not a great way to get into the series, partly because it's too short and partly because it has too much story getting in the way of being a good introduction to the series and its world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I really like Grendel : Warchild and would recommend it. It has a really good story and decent artwork too. You should be able to get it in forbidden planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Wacker wrote:

So, can you guys suggest any Batman graphic novels to me? Ideally, something that doesn't require a huge amount of prior knowledge.

Batman eh?

Try

Hush - Lots of people hate it .....I liked it
    The Killing Joke - Legend
    'Bruce Wayne Murderer' series is good to
    Batman Vs Predator - Class
    No Mans Land

Check out www.rasalghul.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Can't reccomend any comic higher than the Invisibles. Sublime.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is excellent (just finished second volume).
    As far as I know, all the Transmet books are available in Third Place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Yeah I'd go along with those recommendations posted above.

More Batman recommendations:

Arkham Asylum and Gothic, both written by Grant Morrison.

TPB's of early Legend of the Dark Knight stories are good - Shaman, Venom, Faces and the Collected Legends of the Dark Knight. Some fantastic guest writers and artists.

Also collections of Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's run on Batman - The Last Arkham and Anarchy are two that come to mind.

Manbat, The Cult, Blind Justice and Sword of Azreal I enjoyed as well.

Ones to avoid however, would be collections of cross Bat-title 'epics' like Contagion, Legacy and yes, even Knightfall (enjoyed it at the time, reread it recently, muck). Too many different writers and artists spoil the book. Also, features too much of crap supporting cast - Huntress ,Nightwing et al.
    I wouldn't bother with the Elseworlds stuff either, with the possible exception of Gotham by Gaslight.

That's all that I can think of. A lot of people like Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Bat stuff. Haven't read enough to pass judgement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've heard Kavalier and Clay is good (it won a Pulitzer), but haven't got hold of it yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

If you like Alan Moore, you should pick up From Hell sometime. i loved it. it's fantastic, his greatest work, imo.

And if you like Miller's Batman, check out his Daredevil too. I think i actually prefer it (some of the time, anyway :D ) to his Batman stuff.

luckat wrote:
    I've heard Kavalier and Clay is good (it won a Pulitzer), but haven't got hold of it yet myself.

Have read the Chabon book but did not know it was a graphic novel - who is by ...artist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Thanks Smiler. So far, from your recommendations, I've gotten Hush Part I, (which I liked. Its always good to see Batman scrapping, well, you've read it! And I'm not sure how to use spoiler tags!) and Killing Joke, which was awesome. The places I checked either didn't have the others, or there were too many parts for me to invest in right now.
    I did get Arkham Asylum, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory as well. I enjoyed them all, but the constant Godfather, Goodfellas, Untouchables, etc. lines and references were getting quite irritating by the end of the latter two. I know it was meant as a joke, but they were overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

bit off topic, but are the books preceeding No Mans Land any good? (I gather they are about an earthquake and a virus hitting Gotham).

definatly get the No Mans Land series, its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Darrk

Check out Fortune and Glory by Brian Bendis.
    It's hilarious...

--Darrk.

• Advertisement

keep them comming -

Here is one more -

The Ultimates - Great stuff - Hulk, captain america... in a "real world" drama...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Is there graphic novels for the Ultimates? What marvel comics (if any) have graphic novels

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Unpossible wrote:
    Is there graphic novels for the Ultimates? What marvel comics (if any) have graphic novels

1) Yes, the hardcover of the first 13 issues was published very recently, and
    2) nearly all of them.

I noticed that the hardback collection of Gaiman's 1602 Marvel re-imagining is out. I want to buy the collection, but I'm not getting it in hardback...anyone know when the TPB is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Fysh wrote:
    I noticed that the hardback collection of Gaiman's 1602 Marvel re-imagining is out. I want to buy the collection, but I'm not getting it in hardback...anyone know when the TPB is due?

Tis out already

Epitaph wrote:

Ah, ok. Meaning it's just Other Realms being crap and slow about getting it. Again. As they so damn often are. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

Best graphic novel series I have ever read is Blade Of The Immortal.
    Check it out. Quality is always consistent and story is great.
    Pick up Vol 1 - Blood Of A Thousand, and you won't be disappointed.
    Can be found in Forbidden Planet for about EUR15.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

2000ad - Chopper - Supersurf 10 and 11(esp) are totally savage
    2000ad - Slaine the horned god - cool magic wierd medieval celtic stuff - excellent art.

Some of the sin city series are pretty good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

The Crow - Better than the film !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can anybody give a definitive answer as to who V 4 Vendetta was, I remember reading that comic, was great stuff, but if i remember correctly was left wondering who V was ?

Advertisement