Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network, want to add UTV Broadband

• 28-09-2004 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I currently have a wireless AP (Belkin F5D7130) and three PC networked to it. I would like to get UTV broadband but to all PC's.

Currently for Dial-up I have to have the desktop power on (as proxy server) and then I can use the Laptop to surf.

I would like to have wireless BB available without having to turn on multiple PC's.

I think I need a DSL Router conneted to the WAP. Do UTV supply this as an option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Doh should really read the message first, get the ethernet modem from utv and you should be sorted
    -Toppy-
    *edit*

I dont think utv provide it as an option, i think they only provide ethernet as an option if you want. You can stick a wireless AP onto an ethernet modem alright but by default UTV only provide usb. Or alternatively you could stick one of these bad boys on instead, and it will do everything for ya, will set ya back around 160 yoyos, I have played with one of these and its the job
    -Toppy-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

omathuna wrote:
    I currently have a wireless AP (Belkin F5D7130) and three PC networked to it. I would like to get UTV broadband but to all PC's.

Currently for Dial-up I have to have the desktop power on (as proxy server) and then I can use the Laptop to surf.

I would like to have wireless BB available without having to turn on multiple PC's.

I think I need a DSL Router conneted to the WAP. Do UTV supply this as an option?
    You'd be better off getting DSL from IOL/ESAT. If you bundle the DSL with ESATs Advantage phone package (minimum spend of €15/month) then your DSL will only cost €33.15/month. But it comes with a DSL router that has an ethernet port that will plug straight into your WAP.

With UTV, you have to sign up for their phone package too, but you only get a USB DSL modem by default, and will have to pay an extra €50 to get an ethernet router instead.

If you're already making about €12-€15/month worth of calls anyway, then IOL/ESAT will actually work out cheaper over the first year. (And the service appears to be a bit more reliable, judging by comments here).

http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bb_adv.htm

Advertisement