Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne Vs Lille, the return leg.

• 28-09-2004 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Anyone else optimistic for this? I know Lille are currently riding the French League in second place, (P-8, W-5, D-1, L-2), but I'm optimistic Shels can get one over on them. On Tv3 last night they were saying that if it gets to 70 minutes or so at 0-0 then it plays into Shels hands, but I can't agree with that. I know a few days ago Fenlon said he would likely take the 4-5-1 approach again, but imho that should be played till half-time at the latest if it is even to be played at all! Also Joey Ndo is being left in Ireland injured apparently, not good! Still though, I'm confident of a victory by 1 goal, either 1-0 or 2-1 (but damn those away goals are still worrying!).

Anyone know what time kick off is? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I for one think it is optimistic for Shelbourne. Fair enough in the first leg, they were totally outshone by Lille, but still managed a 2-2 draw, coming from 2-0 down again woth late goals. I think that the longer it goes scoreless on Thursday the better for Shels to be hosest, they have scored a lot of their goals in Europe late on in games.

Also, Alan Moore and Stuey Byrne will be back. Big players for Shels who were missing from the first leg. But the loss of Ndo will not make it any easier.

I really hope Shels can progress.

FORZA SHELS

BELIEVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Id give Shels a 50/50 chance of progressing , every time I think about the game I feel it will be a different scoreline than the last time and I keep changing my opinion on who will win .

2-1 Shels hopefully .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Getting into the Group stages of the UEFA Cup would be brilliant for Shels and the E.L but realistically I cant see Shels doing it.

Lille are having a great run in the French league, even better since the first leg when they werent playing well at home but look great in Dublin.

They have those players back that were injured etc and they are at home.

4 - 1 to Lille. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I want shels to win 4-1

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    I want shels to win 4-1

kdjac

Can you feel the sarcasm :p .
    Or maybe you want the coeffeciants to go up , but that wouldn't explain 4-1 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Big Ears wrote:
    Can you feel the sarcasm :p .
    Or maybe you want the coeffeciants to go up , but that wouldn't explain 4-1 .

Reverse betting psychology, have an 8 team accum for the euro matches ;)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It gonna be on TV? And what times KO? If they play 4-4-2 I can see a good result.

*[Add:

KO: 6:30
    Coverage 6:15 RTE2

:End]*

ROGERS: FRENCH GALL WILL SPUR US ON

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/09/29/SOCCER_Shelbourne_Nightlead.html

Shelbourne defender Dave Rogers claims Lille's presumptuousness will drive the Irish club on to victory in the second leg of their UEFA Cup, first-round tie in France.

The Dubliners battled back from being 2-0 down at half-time in the first game at Lansdowne Road to draw 2-2 thanks to late goals by super sub Glen Fitzpatrick.

However, Shels arrived in France to find their opponents have already prepared for entering the group stages of the competition.

Rogers insists the Shels players will use that Gallic affront to inspire them to pull off what would be the greatest achievement in the history of Irish club football.

He said: "One of the most positive things from our point of view is that they are underestimating us.

"We were training at their training ground on Tuesday night and they had a fixture list up on display and according to them they are already in the next round. That's all the motivation we need.

"Don't get me wrong they are a very good side, a very technical side but they have that bit of arrogance in their team.

"And we showed what we can do in the first leg when we came back from being 2-0 down.

"We can't play as badly as we did in that first half. We were trying to play World Cup football instead of concentrating on the simple things but we had a chat at half-time and got back to the basics in the second half

"We're confident because we're coming off three league wins and the mood in the camp is good."

Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon, however, admits his men will need fate to conspire for them in a couple of ways if they are to go through against the talented French side.

He said: "We have a chance but we've got to be realistic. They are second in the French league and they are a good side as they showed in the first match in Dublin.

"If we played them 10 times then they would beat us in eight or nine of those games so we'll go there in a cautious mood and play the same way we have played in the last away games in Europe.

"If we keep it tight at 0-0 or 1-1 until the last 20 minutes then we can open up and have a go towards the end.

"But we'll need a few things to happen if we are to get through. We'll have to have everyone playing at their best while they will have to have an off-night. But I'm confident that we can do it."

Shels midfielder Jim Crawford insists patience will be the key on the night. He said: "We've had a chat about a few things and sorted a few things out and we're more confident now than we were just after the first leg.

"But there's no rush for us in the game. A 1-0 win takes us through and we have 90 minutes to get the goal.

"We'll be cagey at first and probably play a 4-5-1 formation and if we're still drawing with 20 minutes to go then we'll see what happens then."

Midfielders Alan Moore and Stuart Byrne will come back after suspension which forced them to sit out the first leg in Dublin. However, midfielder Joseph Ndo will miss out due to a groin strain.

Lets hope Shels do it !!

Id go with 4-5-1 myself with Jason Byrne on the right wing and Glenn Fitzpatrick up front .

I think Shelbourne are too open with 4 in midfield (or at least to play the whole game like that anyway) , and when it comes to scoring I think getting balls into the box for Glenn to head is Shels best chance .Bryne has been in no way prolific in Europe this season and playing him up front might be a bit of a waste .

He's capable of going at people and hopefully he will be able to give Fitzpatrick lots of servive , and lets also hope that Houlihan has a stormer as when he's at his best he's well capable of opening these sides(quality European opposition) up with ease .

allez le roux .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Best of Luck to the Real reds tonight... it'll be a tough game but hopefully they can get something out of the game... They've already made most of the country proud , (apart from a few begrudging eircom league fans )

Hopefully 2-1 to Shels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on Shels! Come on Shels! Come on Shels!

The nerves have started since this morning. I'm going through formations and line ups in my head all day, and I can't settle on one.

I do know one thing though, Lille will be difficult opposition, but Shels have shown in previous European games that they are resiliant and can score goals against teams in Europe. They have already scored twice against Lille, so why should two more be out of the question. People may say that was in the home leg, but hardly, there were less that eight thousand in Lansdowne Road for that game, more like a neutral venue in all honesty.

I don't think one nil will be enough for Shels tonight, so they'll have to score a couple maybe three goals, which I admit will be hard. I don't think they will have too many problems at the back, once Jamie and Scouser keep their act together. Stuey Byrne has been brilliant as the holding midfielder, and was missed against Lille in the first leg. Alan Moore is back too, and if Fenlon decides to go with a 4-5-1 then Moore will be the one who joins in in the attack. He can be dangerous, and has scored goals in Europe already.

I really hope Jason Byrne gets on the scoresheet tonight. I don't know if he bottles it at this level, or he just can't cope. I feel sorry for him though, the eircom League's top scorer and he can't get one in Europe.

Joey Ndo will be missed, I have said that already.

I'm not going to make a prediction for the game. I just can't.

FORZA SHELBOURNE

BELIEVE

With Lille's recent performance my head tells me that its going to be a Lille win.

4-1 to lille :(

Shels 1-0 down. oh dear :(

Shels look like they are continuing their poor ball possesion and incomplete passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

was always going to be tough. Hopefully they'll start creating something as after playing so well in Europe would be a shame to lose big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bah 2-0

What a class difference. Shels might as well go for the 4-4-2 and see if they can make the score line look respectable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ah, its always great to see Shels lose. :D Jason Byrne is shíte, no goals in 8 games. The defence looked like they never played together before. Williams is never positioned right and Cahill can't keep possession.

Only joking ;) . Most of you will know I'm supporting Shels in Europe, just wanted to give you all a taste of being a Celtic fan on boards.ie. :D

what pissed me off was Lilles SECOND ground. Their orginal one is being upgraded to 30 F'ing thousand while their back up stadium, apart from the running track, was the business. We dont even have anything like that in the country.

Besides Jayo's obvious non-existance, I have one simple question: What was with the fecking crosses ladies?! I dont think a single cross actually made it past one defender! Lille are good opposition granted, but again I think Shels made them look better than they were tbh :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement