Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

revs is this normal

Options
  • 28-09-2004 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

when i get into my car and start it somtimes when the car is in nuetral the revs go down to 800then start reving up to 1k and back down again . is this normal ? its happened once or twice when i just stop at traffic lights and put it into neutral .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If it's just a small variation, it may be the cooling fan cutting in and out - the extra load on the engine at idle will bring the revs down for a second or two until the engine management compensates. Any electrical load will cause slight variation in revs at low engine speeds. Also, some servo assisted braking systems can cause revs to drop momentarily, again for the same reason as above.

1000rpm sounds a bit on hte high side though for idle speed; most cars will idle around 750-850rpm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cars that have an idle air stabiliser valve can also suffer from these symptoms caused by a faulty or dirty unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

K bannon is a man who knows and understands Bosch KE Jetonics! ;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nope! Motronic for me! :)

Advertisement