Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Strike Force 2: Return of Tedi

Options
  • 28-09-2004 3:15pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Oh god I'm really not sure about opening up this particular can of worms again but I promised I'd start before October this time. Last year I kicked off in the last week of Nov and the response was ungodly!
    I'm not sure I can take a whole 3 months of it :)

Anyway, this year its going to be even bigger and better. I've yet to decide how we will organise it explicitly but I think we'll probably get the hospitals and organisations involved in deciding whats best to buy for them. The surprise thing was great fun last year (you should have seen the face one security guard when we walked in wearing full costume matrix gear and a santa hat on top carrying black canvas bags (full of toys!). The charity will be given in the name of the SSF. Once again no names, no pack drill. No DeVore, No Boards, No corporate logos, just stuff kids need at xmas dropped off with a note that says "You've been hit by the Santa Strike Force".

One new thing this year will be a PayPal donation campaign into the bank account. Hopefully this will make it easier for everyone to donate whatever they feel they want to. Separate Amazon lists will allow you to target a book, game or whatever directly to the hospital/charity of your choice (I had a lot of requests from people who said "I was sick in Crumlin and read Charlie and the Choclate Factory there for the first time, I want to donate 3 copies to them". Well now that will be possible.

I need help. (no not like that!)
    Havelock is already working on a logo/design. But what I need are a few lieutenants to arrange the lists,consort with the charity officers of the organisation and organise the chaos.
    EG: Mr Pudding has a kids charity he wants to help called the Butterfly kids (I think thats right?) So, I'm gonna ask him to sort out the list of stuff they would like (wishlist) and liase with their charity person to make sure its stuff thats suitable.

I'll be opening up the SSF forum again so that we can arrange ourselves shortly.

I have an idea to run an auction of computer goods if people felt like donating them but I dont know if thats going to be possible or if it would just fall flat on its face. There are a lot of possible ideas...

Anyway just to let you all know that its coming back and hopefully this year will be bigger then before. christ!

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Count Me In

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

count me in,

i'd like to add a charity to the list,

enable ireland (used to be know as Cerebral Palsy Ireland )

i Had a lot of treatment there when i was a child Due to my banjaxed legs

http://www.enableireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll have a word with the mother.

Might be able to raise a bit of stuff from the town where she teaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know any charities, nor even where to start organising things.

But I can lift heavy stuff. :)

If you think last year's response was mad, I reckon it'll be twice as crazy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I'll pitch in if needed

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks Enda, you and dapper were great last year.

>If you think last year's response was mad, I reckon it'll be twice as crazy this year.

Yeah, that has occured to me :)

Oh yeah, this year we will have an independant website which I'm in the process of setting up, so that while this will always be a Boards powered event we can reach beyond our community to others with a dedicated site about nothing else.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I will assist in anyway I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Gimme a shout if I can be of any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Amz wrote:
    Gimme a shout if I can be of any help!

let us know when the paypal option is set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Just say the word...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dammit, I really wish I could help

*curses being 15 and living away from dublin*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Happy to help in any way I can DeV, just give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'd have another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Will give a hand if needed as I'll be back in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I have a small van and have no problem collecting or dropping off stuff if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Can always see if theres any of the people in UCD/TCD/DCU/DIT etc. willing to do stupid stuff to get cash towards the fund - more than happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Redshift wrote:
    I have a small van and have no problem collecting or dropping off stuff if required.
    I also can volunteer my small van for daytime activities. During December I'm gigging every night, and will be totally free during the days to help with this, so count me in big time!

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you need some muscle to lift stuff count me in. (ok I know saying muscle is slightly false advertising :D).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great, really encouraging to see the offers of help.
    I often wish I had more I could give people to do because Id hate to think anyone felt I ignored their offer to help but there isnt always the time/work and sometimes 5 people work better then 15.

All the same, I have your names now so dont be surprised if I tap you for help :):)

The forum will be opening up next week and the website will go online not long after.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Throw my name on that list if there's room DeV, I have a car and can do pick-ups/drop-offs if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

One very small car, and one very fast car (getaways!) available....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, was the "final" final list published last year? I know a list was published, but that was at the stage where most of the things had been distributed and there were a few things that had to go to difficult to get places.
    gandalf wrote:
    If you need some muscle to lift stuff count me in. (ok I know saying muscle is slightly false advertising :D).
    "Relaxed muscle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

I'd like to nominate "St. Josephs Preschool Services".
    It's attached to the school for the blind in drumcondra and as the name implies it's a pre-school for visually impaired kids aged 3 to 6.
    http://www.stjosephsvi.ie/

I'd be willing to help in any way I can, and if I'll see if I could tap some money out of works charitable donation fund for the SSF.

Penfolds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote:
    there were a few things that had to go to difficult to get places.
    Why did I just picture DeV with a big sack on his back, climbing up a sheer rock face to get to an orphanage sitting atop some very large mountain? Very Simpsonsesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i'll offer my services. i'm in cork but if there's anything i can do from here let me know. perhaps a trip up to the big smoke will be in order. i could collect stuff people down this way want to donate and drive it up. be amazed what'll fit in a car if it's packed right

Last year the furthest out I got to was Kildare (I think) for the PC we sent to The Barretts Town Gang.

Ideally I'd like to target some of the hospitals/charities outside Dublin but we need champions for each as I just couldnt do all this myself. So, Mr Belly (if that *is* your real name :) ) if you are up for it, I'm game!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, I'm not rich, or in Dublin, but I work in DKIT, and I know that the internal college e-mail system has no spam filter, so if you want some people spammed in a good cause, I'd be happy to do so. Of course, its probably immoral, but we get updates to the college sports events, public arguments, battery recycling, etc all the time, so it can't be that bad, right?

Failing that, I can always put up some posters on the noticeboards. I know you said Havelock was doing up some artwork, but Sionnach's from last year was amazing - well worth another round of publishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

DeVore wrote:
    Last year the furthest out I got to was Kildare (I think) for the PC we sent to The Barretts Town Gang.

Ideally I'd like to target some of the hospitals/charities outside Dublin but we need champions for each as I just couldnt do all this myself. So, Mr Belly (if that *is* your real name :) ) if you are up for it, I'm game!

DeV.

cool. i'll ask the mother later what hospitals would be good to target(she's a nurse so she knows these things) i can easily rope in a collection of large people to collect, deliver, drive places, wear santa hats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Well done DeVore.
    I knew when you "dropped out" (Technicallyspeaking he was requested to drop out for organising poker schools among the elves and once that started I couldn't get a tap of work out of any of them) of the Elf training program you'd go far but it's nice to see you still have the charitable instinct.

If you could forward me on a list of all your helpers then I'll put sure to put them on my good list (or in the case of Seamus move him slightly nearer to getting off the naughty list!)

Santa

• Advertisement
Advertisement