Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch college student seeking traineeship

Options
  • 28-09-2004 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi there

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this one....
    I live in Holland and I'm a student here, studying Tourism Management. It's a 3-year course. The third year exists of a traineeship of 8 month's anywhere in the world....Pretty though decision I would say! :rolleyes:

So I was thinking of coming over to Ireland to do it there. Now I was wondering if anyone knew if there is such a thing in ireland as well...Do you have these student-traineeships over in Ireland? How much do ppl get paid (average). In Holland students usually don't get any money for these traineeships, even though you're still working a 40-hours week....which I think is ridiculious but ok..

Would anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking..Anybody have ideas on where I could get a job( tourism sector)...Preferably not something like behind a desk in a travel agence...Seeing I'm more into the marketing/management part....

I really want to find something in Cork.

I really would be grateful if you could provide me with some information! Tnx a lot! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

giving this topic a little kick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Surely your Uni organises these things for you? Do they expect you to do it your self?! I doubt anyone can help you with your query, I'm sure your Uni would be the best place to ask about this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

MissS wrote:
    Hi there

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this one....
    I live in Holland and I'm a student here, studying Tourism Management. It's a 3-year course. The third year exists of a traineeship of 8 month's anywhere in the world....Pretty though decision I would say! :rolleyes:

So I was thinking of coming over to Ireland to do it there. Now I was wondering if anyone knew if there is such a thing in ireland as well...Do you have these student-traineeships over in Ireland? How much do ppl get paid (average). In Holland students usually don't get any money for these traineeships, even though you're still working a 40-hours week....which I think is ridiculious but ok..

Would anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking..Anybody have ideas on where I could get a job( tourism sector)...Preferably not something like behind a desk in a travel agence...Seeing I'm more into the marketing/management part....

I really want to find something in Cork.

I really would be grateful if you could provide me with some information! Tnx a lot! :)

I know that the hotels in Cork take on people from the local Institute of Technology (it's a college). Usually, they'll have you working in all areas (everything from management to reception) of the hotel so you'll end up having to do the crap jobs for a few weeks. You'll get some work experience in management and as far as I know, you get paid too (albeit, minimum wage, €8 or something an hour).

I don't know if working in a hotel is any good to you, as far as I know though, hotels are the only companies that will offer internships to tourism students. Send me a message or something if you want any more info.

Surely your Uni organises these things for you? Do they expect you to do it your self?! I doubt anyone can help you with your query, I'm sure your Uni would be the best place to ask about this? :confused:

You would think so wouldn't you! Nope, we have to organize everything ourselfs! From what you what to do, to where you want to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This link here give details of employers who take on work experience for people studying in Ireland

http://fitest.arobis.com/content.asp?id=62

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote:
    This link here give details of employers who take on work experience for people studying in Ireland

http://fitest.arobis.com/content.asp?id=62

Thanks! Nice one! This might get me started....
    Anybody else any tips? Any specific companies I could try?

Advertisement