Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Straight through pipes on motorbike

Options
  • 28-09-2004 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Just fitted some straight through pipes to my old Kawasaki and I was told that they "might" cause some problems with lack of blowback ??

Does anyone have any expierience with this type of alteration that could give me some advice ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I heard a few times that straight through pipes are a bad idea because they allow the engine to run too freely.. or something like that. The only advice I could offer is that if you want to keep your bike healthy, take off the straight throughs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What kind of bike is it? If its two stroke (KH/KE/AR/AE/KMX/etc) you will kill it very quickly as it needs back pressure. A four stroke might do valve damage if it backfires, but it shouldn't matter and is unlikely unless the bike is doing a lot of backfiring. I wonder if you plan driving it on the road as the plod will confiscate it if you bring it into a town. It must be fairly noisy? Want to swap it for an Uno with no doors?

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

you might need to get your carbs re-tuned aswell, not 100% on the reasoning, but i was told i'd have to do it if i put a new exhaust on my bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

You're gona have to rejet the carbs to suit anyway else she'll run lean as hell and burn your valve seats etc.

Staight pipes = more air through the engine. As the fuel supply is limited by the carbs you'll need bigger main jets at least and prob pilots and maybe even a needle to get it perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Thought about this last night while lying in bed with the noise of the pipes still ringing in my ears. I'm taking them off and putting the originals back on .

• Advertisement
Advertisement