Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd Vs Fenerbahce (inc. scores after 7.45pm)

• 28-09-2004 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

I think Man Utd will win this. they have most of their squad back and rooney is set to play some part of the match.

I hear a rumour on Today FM that Keane and O Shea are being rested. The real reason is that its the begining of the end for Roy Keane and Man Utd. I have no doubt that O Shea will be off loaded too.

3-0 to Man Utd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The midfield is er interesting!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

1 + 1 = 71234123213123jhdsfhsadygywe8hcjweuirnsdc983242397dhusjk8uawye982h1uejna9s87cxhj21nn39sdaunj

Indeed the logical jump you made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

what is logical problem ?

That Man Utd have all of their squad back and should win

or

If John O Shea is being rested but really he is a clart and Man Utd need no more O.G's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I have Man U in an accumulator and Fergie goes and puts out a shíte midfield. :confused: Keane not even in the subs.

YEAHAHHEAHEAHHEAHH

1-0 baby, gwan the giggsey

• Advertisement

hahahahahahhah

2-0
    gwan the rooney

hehehehehe

3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ye that Rooney was a waste of money. :p

As for the begininning of the end for Keane what A load of rubbish. Ha has just played two fantastic games for UTD and is just being rested like he was last year. There's life in the old dog yet

Fenerbache score...

Mike.

Hat Trick for Rooney
    :D

4 1 to UTD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

That rooney guy is shít isn't he?

Jesus listen to ITV

Van Nist scores 30 goals in 33 matches

Rooney scores 3 in 1

ROONEY IS THE BEST ENGLISH PERSON EVER :)

None the less, :DDDDD

PHB wrote:
    Jesus listen to ITV

Van Nist scores 30 goals in 33 matches

Rooney scores 3 in 1

ROONEY IS THE BEST ENGLISH PERSON EVER :)

None the less, :DDDDD

Yeah and its Sooooooooo unlike them to go OTT.

Still Its some Debut.

Some shocking defending from set pieces from Utd

The UTV commentary is so jingoistic it's funny.

I can see the headlines tomorrow:

"Rooney better than Pele, Maradona! It's official!"

"Rooney cures cancer!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Incredible debut really.. credit where credit is due.. Defence is still looking shaky though!!

I dunno what the story with Utd's defence is. It isn't the sum of it's parts which can only be down to the manager or the defensive coaches.

They've a lot of work to do. Chelsea or a good Italian side would be beating them 2-1. I know the comparison is dodgy but it's worth thinking about.

Another bit of hilarious commentary:

"Rooney's control lets him down!"

In the tone of a man seeing crystalline beings from another planet appear in front of him and knick his wallet. His universe has been turned upside down and it's not good!

They do look shocking shakey in the back.. Even though Rooney has obviously proved he was worth the risk, the defending tonight still leaves alot to be desired and I have a feeling 30 million would have fixed it..

Silvester should have cleared on their second goal instead his clearance only made it as far as the edge of the box. The midfield is not doing much to help out the defence either. A better defensive midfielder on the pitch would be closing down those chances around the edge of the box.

Nice one for Ruud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

In fairness, Rooney is a fantastic talent and anyone who doesn't recognise that is either blinded or a fool. Having said that, having to listen to those dolts over on ITV wet themselves everytime Rooney gets on the ball is sickening. He's quality, but he still has hundreds of goals to score before he goes into the 'Hall of Fame'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

gwan united 6 - 2

Talk about critical finishing.. Rooney has to get alot of credit for this result..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Always felt there was somfin up with Carroll just figured it out , he plays well as a keeper doesnt concede much but the ones he does concede he should really have saved or have it covered.
    When Silvestre cleared the ball he never got into position he stayed central. A decent keeper would have inched a bit tot he right to cover his angles.

Utd arent defending that bad considering Fenerbache are a decent team who will create chances. Hinkydink will win most balls in the air unless on strike or in dispute with them. Methinks people are listening to TV3 commentary and agreeing with them. They have a ****load of internationals in there too.

Great fekkin game tho.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Whos scored the last 2 for United??

Talk about critical finishing.. Rooney has to get alot of credit for this result..

Indeed I was worried when I saw team selection tonight . With Keane and Ronaldo Scholes and Smith and Howard not in the team Utd can stilll field a stronger team.

United did defend poorly.. Fenerbache got a goal from a corner but it was disallowed because it went out and in again. They still conceeded a soft goal.

Fenerbache hit the post and there was another mad scramble in the box...

United missed about 1 oppurtunity and put the rest away.. Fenerbache missed 3 or som chances and only took 3..

Mind you, United could have fielded a far stronger midfield as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Axel wrote:
    Whos scored the last 2 for United??
    Van Nistleroy and Bellion. united were great going forward, I though the centre of midfield let them down tonigh though

On the ITV commentary, maybe this is an Irish/English thing but you guys apparently can't spot a straight-faced tongue in cheek delivery.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Was a half assed midfield anyway - bellion is pure toss (but holds potential) and djemba-djemba i dont know how the hell he retains a presence in the club.

But rooney... holy crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I thought Kleberson looked a lot better tonight than he has done in the recent past, though I could have missed any indiscretions flicking back and forward with the Real game. How Jemba Jemba is in that team is a mystery to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

mike65 wrote:
    On the ITV commentary, maybe this is an Irish/English thing but you guys apparently can't spot a straight-faced tongue in cheek delivery.

Mike.
    Aye, agreed. Although, Rooney is probably the only player I couldn't care less how much the media go on about, he deserves it all IMO.

jesus who would you buy?

Who would you replace?

Gary Neville is always great in his position no matter how much people hate him
    Heinze is doing great
    Ferdinand is just as good as he always was
    Silvester/Brown are both looking a lot better with ferdinand back, I guess the only people you'd want to replace.

Silvestre is one of the best center backs in the world imo,and recently while he has lost his form he is still top class

I hate to agree with RTE commentators but it is the keeper.
    Corners and Free Kicks are his responsibility, that was the only time Utd were under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fantastic, fantastic.

bang in 3, come under pressure and just step it up another gear to finish them off by banging in another 3.

not too worried about the defence, as many people have told me (non utd fans) you can only beat the side put in front of you and that we did superbly. the goals were top drawer, well worked and crisply finished.

the best thing is we didnt have ronaldo playing or keane, 2 of our most influencial players. bellion was rubbish and was a passenger the whole game along with djemba. heinze was good again, bombed down the left and got back well, gave a few balls away but his work rate and bravery is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

A decent looking defence, a decent strike force and look at that shocking midfield we started with! Kleberson looked better in the first half than I've seen him before but I never expected United to score 6 after seeing the midfield line up before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A lot of positives for United, you have to be happy when you score 6 goals. Rooney, couldnt ask for a better debut (well maybe if the ref gave him the ball!). RvN, what a touch and finish.

But as mentioned already defensive play was very poor at times. They will get severely punished against better sides (or even a side as good as this away from home). They will need a far better focus, if they want to progress past the quarters.

Turkish teams are notorious for travelling poorly, and it was very evident tonight. Very poor defensively. And I doubt anyone was worried that United would lose this, and the game was only going one way once Giggs scored. The game in Turkey will be very different. Having said that, United will top this group at a canter, none of the remaining teams will have a hope at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

rooney three excellent goals great to see bellion scoring great boost for him and the club, nice to see van the man scoring as well that will do his confidence a lot!!! looked a bit dodgy at the back especially at set pieces such as corners but all in all a excellent finish!!! role on arsenal in a few weeks were going to end their record!!! :p:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Fair play to Utd. Played really well. Rooney had an absolutely sensational debut. Seriously, that was impressive. You could see Van Nist dying to get in on the action which is what I like to see: Competition for places. Always a good thing.

Fenerbache were dangerous going forward. It is expected though. They are Turkish champions.

Overall, really happy with Utd. However, I do have a bone to pick with Bellion who was hopelessly ****e for 89 minutes of the match. Djemba is bothering me, I hope he gets some sort of form. Kleberson looked better than I have seen of him before so I guess that is a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

United were always going to give someone a right hammering, and given that they usually get an easy CL group, tonight was a great night for Rooney to start. He took his goals very well, and looked the part; hard to believe it was his debut.

good result but Utd and Fenerbahce's defending was really bad at time. Rooney is obviously the best talent in the primership at the moment.

Man Utd need to sort out their defending soon or they wont win the Champions league.

Do man Utd need the likes of keane anymore?

• Advertisement

Does anyone else think its possible that somehow Brown makes set pieces defended better?

Watching them againist Liverpool they were a lot better at set pieces, might Brown be the reason?
    If so it'd present an interesting problem for Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Rooney is obviously the best talent in the primership at the moment.

I was waiting for someone to say something like this, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. The lad has almost as many yellow cards as premiership goals. The potential to be yes, but not yet. As someone said already RVN 30 goals in 33 CL games, now that is talent.
    Man Utd need to sort out their defending soon or they wont win the Champions league.

The need to do a lot more than sort out their defending.
    Based on tonights midfield performances, and Keane general form of late. Hell yeah.

There is a lot of hype about rooney but I do belive that he is one of the best talent in the priemership. I dont count the yellow cards he gets, bad temperment or the incident where he kicked the ball out to give Fenerbachce a corner (where they scored) when he didnt have to.

As long as Utd can keep scoring the goals their defence might not be such a big thing anymore.

I think you first statement answers your question.

Rooney is a great talent and has had the best Debut I can remember but he is still only 18 and I would be wary of getting caught up in the media hype about him. That said I have made the point on this forum a number of times that he reminds me of Shearer and probably has the potential to be as good if not better than him. Thats a big compliment to him , now he has to go get some stability in his life and fulfill his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I was there. I still can't believe what I witnessed but I sure as hell was there. It was glorious. Rooney was literally incredible. The thing was, having seen the highlights afterwards, you really can't tell how good he is form tv. The movement he makes off the ball, and the positions which he takes up are just top notch. His touch on the ball is incredible too. He really looks like he has it all...but let's not all go mad after one game. But it really did feel last night like I was witnessing the birth of a true superstar.

As for the rest of the game...as people have said Bellion was atrocious. He fncked up everything he did bar one. His touch is abysmal. I counted about one time where he controlled the ball well! He really is dismal. Djemba was poor. Kleb was ok. Did well for the first goal. But all in all there wasn't enough from the centre of the midfield - when the lads at the back were getting on the ball it was Rooney who was showing to link the play....Kleb or Djemba should have assumed that responsibility at times too.

As for the goals Rio and Silv were the culprits. The first was like a kneed pass from Rio to their man...and he wasn't going to miss from so close in. The second - after Carroll had made a fine initial save Silv's clearance was half assed, as has been much of his play so far this year. Carroll had no chance with the finish - it was sublime.

But it has to be said, the attacking play of Utd really was great. It was crisp, flowing and clinical. And all this w/o Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo, Louis, Smithy, O'Shea, Brown. We still need to strengthen left wing and central midfield.

On a strange note - went to the Utd ticket office to collect my tickets. Walked in and was faced, behind the glass, by a tall middle aged man. I took one look, and was like "I know you" and looked at his name tag to be sure. And sure enough it read David Gill. That was a weird moment. Felt like asking him a couple of questions like: "Eh, shouldn't you be entertaining people in the exec boxes?" and "Will you buy us a new left winger?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Utd defence is leaking badly. Its being covered up by strong goal scoring performances up front. But it needs to be sorted soon before it gets expensive. Rooney was good but greedy, he could have made a couple more passes. I don't think he passed at all until he had his hat trick.

Still I enjoyed Shrek 3. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Hagar wrote:
    Utd defence is leaking badly. Its being covered up by strong goal scoring performances up front. But it needs to be sorted soon before it gets expensive. Rooney was good but greedy, he could have made a couple more passes. I don't think he passed at all until he had his hat trick.

Still I enjoyed Shrek 3. :D
    Eh he certainly did pass before he had his hat trick! And if he scores goals when he's greedy I'll be extremely happy.

As for the goals Rio and Silv were the culprits. The first was like a kneed pass from Rio to their man...and he wasn't going to miss from so close in. The second - after Carroll had made a fine initial save Silv's clearance was half assed, as has been much of his play so far this year. Carroll had no chance with the finish - it was sublime.

I still dont think Carroll is as good as Howard. He made a couple of blocks last night but pushed the ball back into the centre of the box instead of pushing it wide to safety. We could easly have been punished if thes had fallen to attackers. He should also have narrowed the angles on one of the goals. If howard is not good enough then we need a keeper because carroll is no more than a steady no 2.

Great win though and the atmosphere around OT must have been something else . You picked a good night to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Rooney better than Pele, Maradona! It's official!"

Good prediction, i saw a similar headline posted on one of the news stands on O`Connell street this morning.

I thought that young Rooney played very well. Not only was it his first game in 3 months but it was his first ever champions league game, he didnt freeze. he showed no fear whatsoever, his finishing was brilliant, he undoubtabley has a great future ahead of him, provided that he behaves himself off the pitch.

I still dont think Carroll is as good as Howard. He made a couple of blocks last night but pushed the ball back into the centre of the box instead of pushing it wide to safety. We could easly have been punished if thes had fallen to attackers. He should also have narrowed the angles on one of the goals. If howard is not good enough then we need a keeper because carroll is no more than a steady no 2.

You totally misunderstood what he did there.
    It was the middle of the goal so he wasn't able to push it wide safely,
    so what he did was, you can watch his hands and his eyes, he punched it down to the ground to give himself time to get back up.

Howard doesnt do stuff like that.
    He, at this moment in time, is better than Howard

• Advertisement
Advertisement