Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB now in Lucan

• 28-09-2004 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

I got an email a couple of days ago from IBB saying that the Lucan transmitter has just gone live. They told me that I was just outside the area of it but that they have succesfully enabled many people outside the area on the map.

They sent me this map, the blue circle is the area where Ripwave/Breeze is available.

Is any one on this transmitter? Does anyone know where it is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Is any one on this transmitter? Does anyone know where it is?
    Yeah, they contacted me about it. 5 weeks too late, I have NTL now.
    I'd say that's coming off the Clondalkin transmitter. It would certainly seem so going by the coverage maps anyway. I'd say your house is in the part of Lucan where it dips down in the valley. I'd say your chances of IBB there are slim to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm not quite in the dip, just about on the edge of it. I actually think it goes up a little bit compared to the houses along the bypass. I'm sending in the application to get the engineer to come out tomorrow.

I'm trying to be optimistic. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm sending in the application to get the engineer to come out tomorrow.
    I'm trying to be optimistic. :-(
    Don't be too optimistic - I'm waiting almost 8 weeks for my LOS test!!! And before you ask, yes, I have checked that they haven't lost my details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Looks like most of those areas are already covered by NTL. It'll be very interesting to see what the takeup is (although there are a lot of Sky dishes around there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

aerial only up a week.
    thinking of getting the ripwave thingy.
    i've read a LOT of bad things about people with bad reception :rolleyes: ,
    but is there anyone out there that had decent reception?

and how do the speeds compare to a basic ADSL eircom/iol/utv package?

dave

• Advertisement

the IBB guy told me on the phone that the aerial was in haydens lane,
    are you in esker lawns Ciaran500? i'm in beechgrove, and he said it would be cool there, but its outside the blue border aswell.

NTL said that most of lucan was done, but i could be waiting up to 2 years!
    my phone line just became active, would i be better off using that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭DavidByrne1969

Just curious..

I used to live in Lucan and dreamed of BB, now I live in Ratoath and my line fails.. checked my old number and that failed.. I think I'm doomed..

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

aerial only up a week.
    thinking of getting the ripwave thingy.
    i've read a LOT of bad things about people with bad reception :rolleyes: ,
    but is there anyone out there that had decent reception?

and how do the speeds compare to a basic ADSL eircom/iol/utv package?
    When it works it's fine. When it doesn't, it sucks.

The main thing to be aware of is latency - pings start at 90ms and work their way up from their (DSL pings start at about 30ms). This really only matters for fast online gameplaying - the sort of thing where split second responses are vital. Role playing games won't generally be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Merged into this thread.

• Advertisement

are you in esker lawns Ciaran500? i'm in beechgrove, and he said it would be cool there, but its outside the blue border aswell.

Yep, I'm looking onto the graveyard, kinda. The IBB guy told me the blue border was very conservative and they have activated alot of people outside of it.(in a couple of weeks?:confused:)

I sent in my aplication for Ripwave or Breeze last week and haven't heard anything back yet, I'm gonna ring them tomorrow and see when they are coming out. :cool:

if you get the ripwave option, can you get them to post out the modem so you can install it yourself?
    or can you collect it from them to speed up the connection process?

There is no engineer install option for ripwave. You should ring/email them to see if they will let you pick up the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paul2420

I have IBB Ripwave for that past 3 weeks and despite all of the complaints I read on this site I find it great!!!!. I am living ouside the "zone" in B.G. and I have had no problems. When I received the modem there were problems trying to get a connection but that was resolved by IBB in a day or so. I did have to put the pressure on them but in fairness they did reply to my emails and they rang me a week after I got setup to see if I was happy with the service.

I can't complain about their service at all.

Latency is an issue as other contributors have noted I would say at best it is 130 - 190 ms but for internet use that isn't really a problem. Download speeds are very good and I usually get about 56 - 64 kB/sec.

You will need to play around with the position of the modem to get the best signal but once it is flashing red to amber you will be fine. I think people are making too much of the signal being green as if one checks the Navini site once it is amber all is fine. It is the signal strength which is more important. Poor strength poor service.

Good luck with it. I know they dont recommend it but you can the attic for the best signal. It does work I tried but it make no real difference to me as my connection is good.

It is nice to have a positive IBB post for once!!!!!

I'm very happy to hear someone is having luck with the lucan mast. How far outside the zone are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paul2420

I'm next to the bypass wall but where you live is slightly higher than me and I think you will have no problem. Do you face the mast as it is indicated in the map. Use a window which faces near the mast and play with modem and optimisation software provided. As I said once you get red to amber you'll be fine. Get an Ethernet modem as it gives you more flexability to move the modem around and to connect to say a wired/wireless router if you have more than one computer. It is also slightly faster than the usb modem. Some people also seem to have problems with the USB modem. If you apply using the online serive with your credit card you should receive the modem within 3-4 days. The UTP lead provided is very short so you may need to make or purchase a longer lead.

I think the IBB is the better option than Eircom as there are no download limits and I would prefer to sacrifice a little latency than have a 4GB limit!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Also if it does not work IBB told me that they would give me all my money back and you are allowed under law a 7 day cooling off period!!!

ok, my phone line has passed for broadband also [for the 1st time]
    and i think what i'll do is

1. get the IOL 3 month free trial
    2. then get the eorcom 2 month free trial
    3. then get a connection to IBB

hehe

That shouldn't work as Eircom are meant to put you on a list once your line has been activated for BB. But I've heard one or two people saying they have had succes doing it. Good luck ;)
    Do you face the mast as it is indicated in the map. Use a window which faces near the mast and play with modem and optimisation software provided. As I said once you get red to amber you'll be fine. Get an Ethernet modem as it gives you more flexability to move the modem around and to connect to say a wired/wireless router if you have more than one computer.

The window that my computer is infront of points straight out into the graveyard so I already prepared there. But I completly forgot to ask for a ethernet modem instead of USB, I think I'll have to ring them tomorrow. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i must be really blonde coz i dont know wat the beep your talking about i'm from lucan and never heard anything of this thing you call IBB

wireless broadband.
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/

uncapped downloads.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/

EDIT: Damnit beaten in my own thread. :o

applied for the iol trial today.
    said it would take 14-20days to recieve the modem.
    you get a free webcam also.

and you can choose which package you want to go on.
    i got the better one. broadband plus. hehe.
    http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

ohh i c now i feel bleach blonde
    ha ha ive got broad band wit bt i think....
    havent been able to touch my pc at home since we got it...
    turned it on(my dad not me )
    opened his emails before puttin in virus protection and .... pc died now we hav a new pc (mine tee hee hee) and my dad isnt aloud touch it till we get a pc person to come and set everything up

I rang IBB today and they said I passed the LOS test for breeze and that they would call me within a week to setup an appointment.

How do they know I have LOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 roberte

I was advised by sales in Irish Broadband that Breeze was not available on the Lucan transmitter, only ripwave. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 roberte

Scratch that, there was a mix up - a previous test failed before the Lucan transmitter was installed. They're coming out to do another test on the Lucan transmitter.
    For those of you who are interested, I took the modem out for a trip around the area to see where I could get a ripwave signal. Most of the area south of the N4 and west of the penny hill was all red. It's only when I got down onto Hayden's lane itself near the rail bridge did it go green. I also got a green light on some of the adamstown road near the canal bridge.

Advertisement