Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Utd have to sell players to reinforce the squad so who is it thats leaving?

• 28-09-2004 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So Utd have to sell players to reinforce the squad so who is it thats leaving?

I can't think of anyone who would go. I mean we need Phil Neville and O'Shea and that is all I can think of who would be sold.

My mate thinks Saha(yes the striker who was bought in January). Do you honestly think that too?

I can not imagine Ferguson selling either Djemba, Kleberson or Bellion for pride reasons whether or not they make it this season.

Who do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

All they really need is a goalkeeper and sales shouldn't be necessary to facilitate that. I think this story was no more "major" signings without sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No left winger? Just a thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can see John O'Shea or Phil Neville going, not both, maybe Phil Neville as John O'Shea can be used for a good while, but I think Neville is better so hopefully O'Shea will get offloaded unless he gets better again.

I can see Demjba Demjba being sold, as he just isn't cutting it.
    I think Kleberson will stay as he is looking good for an attacking midfielder role.

Richardson will be sold too sometime soon, as might Fortune be.

I can also see Bellion going, even if he gets better.
    He has absolutely no chance to break through as there is just nowhere he will ever be able to chalange for unless he becomes amazing.

Right sided midfield has been claimed by Ronaldo, up front he is definally 5th choice, 6th once ole is back.

If Utd desperately need someone they can get the cash to buy someone, they aren't exactly straped for cash like, its just the normal transfer budget is spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

cheesedude wrote:
    No left winger? Just a thought...
    With Giggs 2 months away from his 31st birthday they'll definitely need to bring in a left winger. Wingers do more running than anyone on the pitch IMO so I can't see him lasting much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Arent man united extending the stadium to 75,000 seats for around 39 million pound which will be ready for the 2006/2007 seasion if planing permission is given ? If so would man united have the money to buy big name players (like duff) even if they sell some bit players for the next 2-3 years after spending nearly 30 million on rooney as well ?

seems unlikely to me there never THAT rich are they ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

bizmark wrote:
    seems unlikely to me there never THAT rich are they ?

Profits were DOWN to £60M this year. And that is after player trading. Hardly a small figure.

Things like stadium expansion would be a capital investment, and would not affect player trading, as the stadium expansion is guaranteed to pay for itself over a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

So they are that rich then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    With Giggs 2 months away from his 31st birthday they'll definitely need to bring in a left winger. Wingers do more running than anyone on the pitch IMO so I can't see him lasting much longer.

Appatently Giggs beats Ronaldo in the sprints in training so he still has plenty of pace . Giggs would only be sold if he was going to generate a lot of cash and I I'm not sure many teams will spend big on a 31 year old.

Apart from that PHBs list is exactly as mine would be with the exception of Klebesson as I,m not sure he is good enough and could also go if the right offer came in. I also think Fergie sees something in Bellion he likes and he is likely to hang onto him for a while yet to see how he developes.

I can not see Djemba being sold for pride reasons on Fergies behalf. He must believe he has potential to fulfill. Kleberson will have gained some respect with that assist he won yesterday. Was a peach of a ball. Bellion is apparently the fastest player in the league which means sweet **** all when he has the creativity and power of a dead hedgehog. We definitely need a left winger.

So just to clarify, can anyone see Saha being sold?

Absolutely not,
    Saha is better than Smith by a mile and a half, and I think he is better than Rooney just by a mile.
    He has just been unlucking injuries so far this season, but wait till hes back, we'll see Rooney and Smith trying to get Saha's place.

Bellion you have to remember is a striker, not a winger, and its hard to make an impression when you are being played out of position.
    In the two games I saw him as a striker, I think he showed promise, but since Smith Saha Rooney and even Van Nist are still quite young, its unlikely he can break into the squad.

The problem lies in the fact that Roy Keane is looking at his last, or second last season at United.
    Keane needs a player to replace him.

Its not pride that Fergie doesn't want to sell Djemba Djemba, its the fact that he really really needs he to come good :)

Top quality players like Keane Vieria Davids etc are dying out imo, with only two or three decent def mids replacing them, so he needs to make one instead of buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the problem is that the players that United can sell without hugely weakening the squad will command very small transfer fees. No club will pay more than £3million for the likes of Bellion, Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Phil Neville or O'Shea. Meanwhile players like Keane, Scholes and Giggs are getting on in years and will need replacing soon too.

Their accounts that were published last week also did not take the Rooney transfer into account, and with the club answerable to it's shareholders, I think Ferguson may well be struggling to replace some key players on a small budget next season. Mind you, a good run in the Champions league could change all that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah i can definately see him being sold, dont know who would buy him maybe everton :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd say o' shea will go soon as well as djemba djemba, bellion imo will shine this season providing he gets the games as will kleberson!!! as for the whole keane thing there is always miller! he may not be getting into the team at the moment but give him a season or two and he'll be ruling midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The problem with selling players is you need someone to buy them.

Of all the players United have who are excess to the first XI, the only non-striker who might generate a fee of £5m would be John O'Shea. I could definitely see an English or Scottish team buying him. Fletcher might also interest a few clubs, but given his lack of games the fee couldnt be overly high (also heard rumours that he has some illness problem, but hopefully they're false).

Phil Neville might generate £2.5m. Maybe a foreign club might be interested in Djemba or Kleberson, but I doubt they'd get much of a fee. I'd say Ferguson regrets picking the two of them over Xabi Alonso, when he was examining midfield options that summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Van Nistelroy will be sold for bucketloads, Rooney is his replacement. Why else would UTD spend so much on Rooney when they already have plenty of quality strikers? It seems the logical business decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I dont think that they have to sell, they made a £60 million profit this year. I know that half of it was spent on rooney, but that leaves another £30 million to be spend to bring in a few quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I dont think that they have to sell, they made a £60 million profit this year. I know that half of it was spent on rooney, but that leaves another £30 million to be spend to bring in a few quality players.

But United isnt run like that. The £60M profit is the plc's money, its not for further purchases. A certain amount is set aside for player purchases at the beginning of each year (but which is obviously flexible depending on the circumstances).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Van Nistelroy will be sold for bucketloads, Rooney is his replacement. Why else would UTD spend so much on Rooney when they already have plenty of quality strikers? It seems the logical business decision.

With his goal per games ratio in the biggest club competition in the world, and the fact that the only people with the necessary to take him off your hands are your direct opponents in that competition, I think you might be wrong. Financially it might make sense, that is until he knocks you out of said competition at some stage in the future and suddenly it doesn't look too sensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If Ruud and Rooney form a partnership that wins the Champions League that would generate more money for the club than selling either of them. If they can not work well together then I think Ruud would be the one to be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

PHB wrote:
    I can see Demjba Demjba being sold, as he just isn't cutting it.
    I think Kleberson will stay as he is looking good for an attacking midfielder role.

Kleberson good?

IMO he is the worst midfielder at the club. His performance the other night was pathetic. And that wasnt his first. Cant pass, cant/wont tackle, no vision and also too small. For him to start in one of the big PL or CL games it would mean Keane, Scholes, P.Neville, O'Shea, Giggs, Djemba and Miller would have to be unavailable. I can only recall him playing well once in over a year.

At least Djemba has a bit of fight in him and has had a few good performances. Still not good enough for Uniteds expectations.

The two of them have shown nothing to say that they could compete with the likes of Vieira, Gerrard or Lampard. These are the guys Uniteds midfield have to better this season and the next few seasons.

Even when Fenerbahce were on top the other night Ferguson left the midfield the same probably to prove to himself and the two players in question that they just dont cut it.

Sell Kleberson, Djemba, Bellion, Richardson and buy Duff.

The Muppet wrote:
    If Ruud and Rooney form a partnership that wins the Champions League that would generate more money for the club than selling either of them. If they can not work well together then I think Ruud would be the one to be sold.

I cant see Ruud being sold. Out of the four strikers now there he is the only goal poacher ie. Lineker or Rush. He is also the best finisher at the club. To sell him to Real or Madrid or Barca would just be madness.

The other three all like to play deeper. While Rooney most definitely will not be sold if anyone is its between Smith and Saha. Saha still has a lot to prove and the way Smith has started the season has made him a favourite with the fans. I wasnt too keen on him signing but his performances, goals, attitude and will to win have been really impressive. United fans love to see a striker throwing himself into challenges and giving 100 percent for the team. Can Saha say he has given 100 percent since he has been there.

If someone is to be sold I fancy it to be Saha.

Having said that if they are all happy then none should be sold. Theres no harm in having a couple of quality strikers on the bench. It worked brilliantly all season in 98-99 so why not again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

and i though some arsenal fans were being harsh in their assessment of gilberto. Kleberson played well enough for utd on tuesday. Honestly you're a bit blinkered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bucks73 wrote:
    Kleberson good?

IMO he is the worst midfielder at the club. His performance the other night was pathetic. And that wasnt his first. Cant pass, cant/wont tackle, no vision and also too small. For him to start in one of the big PL or CL games it would mean Keane, Scholes, P.Neville, O'Shea, Giggs, Djemba and Miller would have to be unavailable. I can only recall him playing well once in over a year.

How many season did it take Edu to adjust to PL after moving???? according to you Kleberson is a player that cant pass, cant/wont tackle, no vision and also too small.....still doesnt he have a WC medal????? how many players in PL have one of them......also if he cant pass then who crossed for the Giggs goal???? must be that invisible player that Utd bought!! Kleberson is class and will start to show it soon.....then u will all be cryin about how great he is and that you always saw it in him!! :rolleyes:

At the moment he just needs time to adjust to PL and thats why Fergie is playing him and Jam sandwich in the Champions League because the pace suits there style more than PL

Also anyone hear that Fergie is going to try and rob Edu off Arsenal on a free in Jan?? he has not signed a new contract yet and says there is major probs before he will sign! Edu and Kleberson is the middle of the park wud replace any Keane!! :D

He can hardly be called "class" if Fergie prefers to play O'Shea or Neville, two defenders, ahead of him in midfield in premier league games.

Surely a world cup winner would be able to adjust to the pace of the premier league.

I said the same thing last season and others here said wait till next season and we will see him at his best. Well now people are saying give him more time. Fúck that. Those gooners are going to walk away with another title while we are waiting for a poor player from a poor Brazil team that won a poor world cup to catch up with the pace of the PL. Ronaldo didnt take long to find the pace, Heinze looks fine, Ruud certainly didnt need time.

The fact is Fergie bought him so that Ronaldinho would have a Brazilian mate at OT to help him settle in. That fell through and Fergie was stuck with him. I bet he is not there this time next season.

bucks73 wrote:
    The fact is Fergie bought him so that Ronaldinho would have a Brazilian mate at OT to help him settle in. That fell through and Fergie was stuck with him. I bet he is not there this time next season.

Did Fergie not buy him after the transfer for Ronaldinho fall thru!! from wat I can remember Ronaldinho was supposed to be first Brazilian at Utd but after the transfer fell thru Fergie still went ahead for the transfer of Kleberson! reason it took so long was he was marrying his wife who was 14 or something!!!

bucks73 wrote:
    Ronaldo didnt take long to find the pace, Heinze looks fine, Ruud certainly didnt need time.

Ronaldo, Rudd and Heinze where all playing in Europe before they signed for Utd so cant compare! Kleberson was playin in Brazil and it is known that these players will take longer to settle!! Example Angel for Villa took 3-4 seasons before he started to play well.....Edu 3-4 season before he cud get near the first team....sure he is only close to first choice this and last season and his contract is up in summer!! Gilberto is playin ok but not showin his true class yet! but as Wenger said when he signed him that Edu was already told to take him under his wing to help him settle!!

He was signed while the negotiations for Ronaldinho were still going on.

European players still have to adapt to the pace of the PL. That is the excuse you gave for Kleberson not playing in the PL. His game suits the CL but not the PL. Surely european leagues are played at a different pace to the PL also. Your argument makes perfect sense. Of course he will play better against Fenerbahce than Blackburn away.

Again, if he is good enough it really doesnt matter what games he is played in.

Tell me honestly as a United fan, can you see Kleberson competing against and winning duels against Vieira, Gerrard and Lampard. If you cant then he is not good enough and has to be shipped out.

If you can, why isnt he playing now? Why are there seven players ahead of him for the midfield spots?

You dont seem to understand what we are saying.

He is worse than Keane Gerrard Vieiria etc. etc. etc.

He is showing promise

which means

He could be better than them in the future
    Also he'd end up in more of a scholes, Zidane, AMC role

Dont insult me by callin me a Utd fan! Shef Wed all da way! haha ;)

Anyway yes I know all players from Europe have to adjust to the pace of the PL but my point and reference to players from South America show that it seems to take them longer to settle in England than players who are already based in Europe! this would suggest that maybe next year or even the season after before you actually see the best of Kleberson! that is why very few players are bought into the PL from South America.....I can only remember Edu, Angel, Gilberto and Kleberson!! anyone know of any others??

• Advertisement

I think Djemba is going to be the best midfielder in the world.

Quinton Fortune is showing promise!

cheesedude wrote:
    I think Djemba is going to be the best midfielder in the world.

Quinton Fortune is showing promise!

Will have to disagree with u there(as usual...haha)....think Kleberson will turn out a better player!! Jam sandwich just seems to be someone who trys to play like Keane except with skill and cant tackle....I can see now why he got so many red and yellow cards in France......

Fortune will be sold and Richardson will prob take his spot in the first team shake up!

Advertisement