Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Patriot

• 02-07-2000 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Ack what a long film! (3hrs).

Not a bad film though (corney in places), a bit like braveheart only with less mooning and no smart cracking irish guy, although everyone still wants to kill the british though.

I was just wondering barring the war of independance how much was actually true or was it another gone with the wind with her 27 month pregnancy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It was more or less complete BS throughout.
    Mel Gibsons character wasnt a brutal murderer and didnt go on a rampage .
    There was a show done on C4 a few weeks ago about the yanks dileberatly messing up films, like portraying the Americans as the only ones to participate in WW2 in Saving Private Ryan , and in Braveheart , one of the big battles , the one were the Scots show their @rses , in the movie , the Scots won , but in reality they got slaughtered , no difference with The Patriot , its just lies all the way . The British werent freaking idiots and werent as scared of farmers as is portrayed in the movie.

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And did the British win the War of Independence?? No, I don't think they did. So what the hell are you talking about, Phoenix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Hobbes you say its not a bad film, but would you encourage anyone to go see it? Or is just better than most of the other sh1te thats on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The movie is ok, I would recommend getting the Vid though, so you can fast forward through the boring parts.

I mean the whole film plot was...

1. Mel refuses to do something because of something dark happened in the past.
    2. Something horrible happens because of this.
    3. Mel does something horrible in return.
    4. Mel refuses to do something because of what he did.
    5. Go to step 2 until the Brits leave the US.

Relax there Castor , the Patriot is actually based on a pacific person , he wasnt a brutal murederer.And yea I know the British lost it obviously , but I dont think the Mel Gibsons character did it by himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Yeast

As a great American once said.

"Why should Hollywood let something as small as History get in the way of a good ending"

Nonsence.

Look at Gladitor, in reality Marcus Aurellius
    brought Commodus up north to secure his throne, Maximus did exist as the general but was to popular with the army and threatned Marcus's power.

But as i said Hollywood don't give to ****s. Mind still a utterly class flick

I couldn't really care who inaccurate the film is to actual events once the film is good.

Thats what I go to the cinema to see, a good film.

Shame that there is so few good ones though frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

patriot, erm...... good film imho, liked in, along same lines as braveheart

(in which film the scots were NOT portaryed as winning, they were portrayed as loosing valiantly -- when the voiceover says "they fought like warrior heros and won their freedom", he means that they were slaughtered on the battlefield by a bigger english army that eventually won, but they won becaus they died so they won there freedom -technically.)

im getting worked up becuz i loved braveheart, mel gibson is australian, and they like us thanx to centuries of british rule dont particularly like the english (some do some dont; just like the irish)

i have nothing against the english, but at this stage its getting to the point where every1 is jumping on this anti-english film making / no access to single euro currency without strict conditions bandwagon...

mel is making fims that he knows will be profitable, he is pandering to the public and giving them what he knows they want at the moment - anti-english films, i could be wrong and im sure half or more of u disagree, but thats the way i see it, and i think that even tho' they have ben prikcs for centuries to alot of nations in alot of ways, they do not neccessarily need or deserve to be portrayed / attacked even in such a clear and pulic way!!!!

and besides, pretence is bloody right, if i want to watch REAL history as it happened i'll sit down and watch the national geographic channel (and erm.. do it like they do on the discovery channel -- u know hop on the good foot and do the bad thing), but if i want to be ENTERTAINED, i will do and see a film, and thats all its people, its good to analyze a film but dont dissect it,

erm... i'll shut up no hmmmmmmmm

Joe

[This message has been edited by Wyverne (edited 05-07-2000).]

It does matter how accurate a film is , I forget which part it is , but Michael Collins was altered slightly to give it some appeal rolleyes.gif , and I DO like a good movie , but when it depicts your past in an altered state , it's a bloody insult.
    I think that Ned Broy wasnt killed and that he was in the movie , not sure though.
    And I read in the Sunday Times there a little while back something like this "hollywood was even so bold as to show the british forces sending in a tank to a local football game and shooting repeatedly at the crowd" , ahem , the writer knows half the brits didnt see the film and are trying to pass off an armoured car as a tank , prats , while defending the fact that if it wasnt a tank , well then its ok , btw it was an armoured car and they killed 17 people , I think. I'll check later.

That 'armoured car on the GAA pitch' incident in Michael Collins is entirely fictional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah they didn't use an armoured car they actually spect a couple of hours sniping at people which is actually more brutal and premeditated. The NEd Broy character was actually several real characters rolled into one and yes Ned didn't die. Remember the Car Bomb scene, well Car bombs didn't appear until the 70's afaik and they were never used during the War of Independence infact I think that was not only incorrect factually but in very bad taste.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

yeah that whole thing about de valera being a war mongering jealous fool who is implicated in the assasination of collins? as history i think neil jordan might be pushing things there.
    but the movie is not only entertaining, it is educating. it teaches us about the ideas of the independance war and perhaps how the civil war began. and i like the fact that it isn't anti-english rather than pro independance. the croke park scene was the only thing that peeved me directly. but de valera is a lot like our venerable leader, dev. he is perceived as cold, calculating, conservative, repressive and power crazy. when in fact he was really good at his job and liked maths an awful lot. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Actually, im really looking forward to this one. Big epic on a grand scale, jingoistic american patriotism (wait, mabye not that), the Brits getting a bashing (not PC i know, but i care not), and Mel doing his thing. Sounds like a good thing to me..

Say hello to my little friend !!!

I'd go see this before MI2..

I enjoyed this thoroughly - ok they left out the facts that the reallife guy Mel Gibson's character was based on was a fantical rascist and raped his own slaves, apart from that it was accurate enough I guess smile.gif

Beautifully photographed, and in Colonel Tavington even had one of the better villains of recent films - a complete ba$tard if ever there was one.

Difficult to believe the guy who directed Godzilla was responsible for this (two more different films would be hard to imagine - not to mention ID4 or Stargate smile.gif ) All in all recommended, if you fancy one of those good old fashioned three hour lavish epics.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

but de valera is a lot like our venerable leader, dev. he is perceived as cold, calculating, conservative, repressive and power crazy. when in fact he was really good at his job and liked maths an awful lot.

Um, thanks... I guess.../me scratches head.
    I also have a degree in maths bizarrely.

My grandfather was one of Collin's right-hand men. We have Collin's sword on our wall at home. I wish my grandfather could have seen that movie. Yes, small bits are inaccurate but I really believe its hugely accurate at the same time.

De Valera was quoted as saying that history would record Collins place in it to the detriment of his own. I think he was speaking of Jordans film in effect.

I bought it on DVD so that I have as future proofed a copy of it as I can get right now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

History be damned! A mans head gets blown off by a cannon ball in this film! I have not left the cinema with such a grin on my face in years.
    Its like Godzilla never happened.

Actually I went to this film with an American and she said she didnt give a **** about historical accuracy and really enjoyed the film a lot in spite of the fact it does sag a little sometimes.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

What the hell..i loved it. Three hours of distinct celluloid pleasure. Sure, its not perfect, sentimental, slow paced in places, but it sure did milk my emotions big time. I even had tears in my eyes when the little kid who wouldnt speak ran after Mel..Papa!..Papa! ahhhhhhh...
    Violent too..woohooo. Not really like Braveheart at all, more of a Last Of The Mohicans quality too it, and Mel Gibson is very, very good. Check it out. Another good film in a good year for films

Say hello to my little friend !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Loved it. The audience in UCG applauded, the first time I've ever heard an Irish audience do this.

It's not as historically inaccurate as you might imagine, and it's absolutely top entertainment - which, at the end of the day, is why we go to the movies, right?

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Shinji:
    Loved it. The audience in UCG applauded, the first time I've ever heard an Irish audience do this.

They were probably American Tourists (it's unreal over here, surprised you get to hear the show sometimes).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Bullitt

lol could a been so hobbes hehe i ain't seen The Patriot yet so i can't hop up on my high horse...yet.

But i have seen an audience applaude in the UCG / Virgin.
    Twas at the end of "The Ice Storm". I still have yet to figure out if it was cause they thought it was a good film or if it was cause they were all numb-nuts who thought it was boring as hell who knows, i liked it anyway.

Bullitt
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I
    just squandered" - George Best.

Advertisement