Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just saw Ghost in the shell: innocence

• 29-09-2004 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I have to say I'm very very dissapointed!

it sucked!

I loved the first one, it's my favourite anime, but this one truly sucked!

the visuals were nice, but everything was "slow"

It seems that both movie and anime industries have switched to just showing nice visual special effects and that's it! everything else is secondary!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

tbh, I'd just stick with Stand Alone Complex.

I'm sure I'd be curious to see Innocence at some stage, but I severely doubt they could pull off anything near the quality of Stand Alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think they've figured out that most anime fans watch anime simply because it's anime, and that extras like decent plot, good characters and depth are no longer deemed neccesary.

Or maybe I'm just disillusioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I suppose that might depend, I've seen some pretty amazingly well done anime that has been absolutely terrible derived crap (Spriggan comes to mind) while I've also seen some horrendously animated and pretty poorly drawn anime that was absolutely amazing and had fantastic plot/depth/characters (Berserk springs to mind here), so personally visuals don't make a film or series.

Of course, you can indeed have your cake and eat it so to speak with stuff like Miyazaki, Cowboy Bebop and suchlike. It's generally very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They actually enriched the plot substantially for the anime of Spriggan. And that's not saying much for the original Manga.

I read the comic years ago and it didn't have any of that subplot about the main character been taken as a kid and brain washed as a super soldier.

One thing I like about it was the changes that were made to the dubbed version, the subtitled version is very anti-american, but all those lines were changed in the dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

forgot that add that, innocence is made in an old fashion detective style mixed with technology, something like Detective's story from Animatrix,

the cars are old, almost everything is old fashioned(50s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I've watched it a few times now, I quite like it. Tech-Noir would be how i'd describe the visual style. Visually its amazing, espcially the flying machines with the highly articulated bird wings, i thought they were fantastic.
    From the episodes of SAC i've seen i dont see much difference in plot/story content.
    That said, its very :confused: .. er... trippy, and less action packed than the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I thought it was very good, much improved over the original GITS anyway - which was vastly overrated. The 1950s stylings added a much different, grittier look to the GITS universe. People might complain that the major wasn't involved in the plot as much as she could have been, but I think it was a good decision to shift the focus onto Batou and developing his character a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I still have to see it.
    O_o poor mord is disillusioned.
    But I guess what you say holds true to an extent. They can just make 'commercial anime' for cash, it's popular enough now in the west that they can get away with doing this.
    But everything else is the same, like hollywood, or popular music. Its just a question of sifting though all the crap to find the quality stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I kidna liked the film, kinda wierd in place's, but I enjoyed watching it. However is anyone is interested in an anime with good animation and really really well thought out charecters, 'Full Metal Alchimist' is the best story I have ever seen, I recommend any anime fan to watch all 46 episodes, once you start you cant set them down, unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

aye FMA is amazimg, best ive seen since rahxaphon, maybe better.
    I only have the first 25 eps though, and there are 52 at present, i hope i can source the rest soon. I may buy the dvds jsut for the sake of it buing so good.
    It has real emotional depth, something that is really hard to find in films/anime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

one of the main reasons I stopped watching anime actually :)

I'll make a note to check this series out *dusts of his old sailor moon outfit*

Advertisement