Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting a house - on landlords property

Options
  • 29-09-2004 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi
    im just looking for some advice before i make the move.
    im looking at a house which is well priced and in a very nice area, close to the dart , buses and the usual amenities.
    the only problem, [that i can see anyway] is that its a house thats built on the landlosrd property. ie they will live next door to me.
    i think i was clear enough saying that there will be four lads moving in and im not worried that we will make lots of noise or cause touble as were not that kind of group.
    what im worried about is that four lads in a house together , things are gonna get a bit messy [ie the house wont exactly always be spic n span]
    since the landlord will be next door, will they have the right to come in at the weekend, for example early saturday morning, and say the house isnt being looked after properly and give us grief over the deposit or anything?
    im not stupid or anything, and understand the whole landlord wants the house kept perfect / people need to live in it difference, but in usual circemstances the landlord would ring and say im coming around tomorrow to check the house out, afaik. thus giving the tennants a bit of warning to tidy any mess up and make the house as presentable as the landlord would like.
    as i said its four lads moving in to the house and before we do so, i would like to know if the landlord can just come in and wander round as soon as we go to work to see if the house is tidy etc.
    cheers :)
    chalky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chalk wrote:
    i would like to know if the landlord can just come in and wander round as soon as we go to work to see if the house is tidy etc.
    No, they specificly can't just wander 'round. Your house is your home. A landlord needs to provide reasonable notice (and / or what it says in the contract) if they want to inspect. If they show up at 9am ask them to call back at some other time, that now isn't suitable or appropriate, that you have a lady visitor (you are entitled to visitors) - your sister. :p

However, given that they will be next door, wild all night parties may be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

cheers for that :)

thats really the only thing i was worried about,
    as from what ive heard [not sure if its true as this will be my first house] they can call in anytime to check things out if the neighbours complain .
    which since theyd be the neighbour i thought might give them free reign, ie, i saw strangers coming last night , there was a bit too much noise etc.

but ill check the contract and seee if it says anything about inspecting it whenever they like

tks again
    chalky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Victor wrote:
    However, given that they will be next door, wild all night parties may be difficult.
    Some years ago, I was in a similar position with the landlord living next door. After about a month I knocked into them and told them we were having a bit of a party this Saturday night, was that ok, or should we locate it somewhere else. They said it was fine. However, I wasn't actually planning a real party as such, just a friend coming over, so we played music fairly low most of the night, didn't make any noise or fuss.

Next day I called into the landlords to apologise for making noise and ask them if we had really disturbed them, to which they of course replied that we were no hassle, they didn't hear us at all, and feel free to have parties anytime you want! So we did, without much hassle from them, even after the loud parties.

The message is, behave yourself for the first couple of months, and be seen to be overly careful. Like if you bump into them, ask them is it ok if your sister stays over with you on Friday night, you weren't sure if this was allowed in your lease. Ask them stuff like this every now and then which they won't have a problem with, even if your sister's not coming over or you're not having a party. It just keeps a good impression with them, they'll keep well off your back.

Robbie

Advertisement