Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put 2500?

Options
  • 29-09-2004 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I got 2500 and I want to lock it away till summer 2005 or longer, anyone got any suggestions where would be the best place/way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Superman wrote:
    I got 2500 and I want to lock it away till summer 2005 or longer, anyone got any suggestions where would be the best place/way?

Give it to me, I'll mind it for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

if you want to be exciting buy shares, i'd say
    put it all on bank of ireland (less in out fees)
    I use cambell o connor get share cert.

stable short time period cannot beat credit union

check thursdays indo it has a list of best deposit rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

It depends on what your attitude to risk is?

Would you mind taking a chance with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

you could always buy diamond or other precious stone jewelry.pretty rapid inflation at moment due to chinese uptake in precious stones!
    or cases of wine- gonna get hiked by govt in next budget.
    or spend it on an education course you may get a pay raise or better paid job quicker
    or pay revenue in advance for tax liability- they pay interest you know.
    or put it on a horse!
    or put it ondeposit and earn about €50 after dirt tax! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

It you put it in a Northern Rock Demand On-Line Account you will earn 3% (€60 after DIRT) in 12 months. Thats about the best interest rate available at present for a deposit of that size. There is an interest rate guarantee on this account " the annual interest rate is guaranteed to be no lower than the European Central Bank Base Rate until 1st January 2006". Note that the interest rate falls away to nothing if the account balance goes below €1,000. Its a demand account so you can get your money back at any time, without giving notice. Its an on-line account so you can only deal on-line.

The alternative is Prize Bonds These also guarantee your capital and can be encashed at any time, it takes up to 7 working days. There is no guaranteed return, so you may earn nothing, but you stand a chance of winning a prize. The following are the prizes
    • Monthly Jackpot Prize €150,000. The monthly Jackpot Prize takes place on the first friday of each month.
    • Weekly star prize €20,000
    • 5 prizes @ €1,000
    • 10 prizes @ €250
    • Over 1,900 @ €75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

IF you fancy a flutter on the shares, got a tip for Petroceltic (www.petroceltic.com) on the London Market recently- but I dont have the cash. They seem to be getting contracts all across north africa, which is a largely untapped area to date in re: Oil and Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Superman wrote:

Put it on Man Utd to win the league, won't be able to collect untill next summer. :D

Advertisement