Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is it....

Options
  • 29-09-2004 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

....that some cars have only one reverse light and some have two? At first I thought it was to do with the size of the car, i.e. larger cars have two, but I have seen many small cars with two also. What's the deal? I know most cars with one reverse light have a fog light on the opposing side, but surely it's not that complicated to fit two reverse lights. Are there regulations on this or is it at the manufacturer's discretion?

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

AFAIK it comes down to the design of the clusters and is therefore at the manufacturers discretion, desire for both symmetry and economy leading to there being one rear fog and one reversing light. Since there are plenty of models with only one light, I'd say they are in the majority, the law must only require one, if there is actually any legal requirement at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Law requires one reversing light and one rear fog light but as said it depends on the maufacturer as to whether they fit one or two. I have two of each so no excuses for being hit really! Personally I like pairs (fnar fnar) but thats just an aesthetic thing.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hmmmm my friend has a micra... about.... 96 i think it is and it doesnt have any reverse lights which i thought was strange but there is no white space for a reverse light, its purely brake or indicator sections

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to say I prefer cars with two reversin lights and 2 fogs lights, spoils the symmetery otherwise

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Canis Lupus - many cars with single reverse / fog lights have the reverse reddened to repair the symmetry. The micrap left the factory with one of each so I assume it is this or else there are spurious lights put on that aren't road legal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement