Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the Cheapest Mountain Bike?

Options
  • 29-09-2004 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a new mountain bike. I priced JJB in liffey valley and they are €135. (no suspension)

Will I get cheaper. I want to buy from a dealer because want the warantee. hence buy and sell is out.

Anywhere else is very cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

http://shopping.yahoo.com/premium/consumerreports/silver.html?id=96098794
    Deal with a bike shop. You'll generally pay $250 or more at a bike shop, versus $100 and up in a department or discount store, but you'll get more for the money. The bikes tend to be better-made, and you can usually road test them. Most come in several sizes, often including versions proportioned for women. (Women with a longer-than-average torso may get a better fit with a "man's" frame.) Some women's bikes have a step-through frame, but others have the same standard frame as men's bikes. The staff typically knows how to fit you for a frame and adjust components. Bike-shop mechanics tend to do a better job assembling bikes than department-store employees, and bike shops offer after-sale service. A shop can help you choose a helmet, too. (See bike helmets, available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers, for our latest helmet tests.)

Don't be cheap. A bargain price sounds enticing, but you get what you pay for. Bikes selling for $100 to $200 are usually heavier than higher-priced bikes, harder to pedal and shift, and unlikely to fit well because most come in only one frame size. When we tested three mass-market bikes, their quality and performance were below those of the bikes in the Ratings, available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers. (See Cheap bikes: No bargain, available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers.) Consider low-priced bikes only for the most casual adult riders or for kids who will quickly outgrow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

decbuck wrote:

Anywhere else is very cheap?
    I'd consider 135 to be at the cheapest end of teh market. Most bike shops will have a model at this price level and the decision is between the colours TBH. Avoid suspension because at that price it is both useless and and removes from money that could have been better spent on other components.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

At €135 I'd expect it to last 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

ok,
    so how much do you all recomment paying

Depends what you want it for :)

What do you want it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

excercise/.

I work in office all day so want to go for cycles when I get home. Basically something easy to cycle, and will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm a bike snob :p so bear that in mind. 135 is the most basic bike you can buy new. Your enjoyment will be hampered (IMO) because of the quality of the equipment. It's your call and your budget. Only you can assess how valuable the experience is going to be to you.

IMHO the cheaper the bike the more likely and the more frequently it will require repairs/maintainence. That €135 bike could end up costing you alot more over the course of a year ot two.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Read the small print carefully on those ultra cheap bikes - a friend bought a sub 200 euro mountain bike from argus and the small print contained the memorable phrase "not for offroad use". Duh.

With bikes, you get what you pay for. 135 gets you very little, buts if thats your budget, go for it. Cycling on cheap bike is better than not cycling at all.

Just to give you an idea of costs involved, I bike 2/3 times week off road, race about 10 times a season and commute occasionally. My bike cost 1500 yoyo, upgrades about 600 yoyo and maintenance about 300 yoyo. Add in clothing and other bits and pieces at about 300 yoyo, all over the last 12 months.

My spend would be typical of others riding at the same level. Sure, its expensive, but its my thing and I don't spend any other cash on gyms etc.
    And when you're out there, surfing over the hills on a fabulous day its worth every penny. :D

As Johnny says, depends on yourself, what you can afford, and how much you'll use it.

Have a look back in this forum, you'll find a thread I started around March/April asking for advice on the same thing, I got some good advice, and I've put ~1500 miles on my bike since then. Not bad considering I hardly cycled before. If I had gotten a low quality bike I think that mileage would be considerably less likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There was a guy selling a rad trek bike in the for sale forum, check that out. Ring those knobs in cycleways to price it there and then see how his offer looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

...I bike 2/3 times week off road, race about 10 times a season and commute occasionally. My bike cost 1500 yoyo, upgrades about 600 yoyo and maintenance about 300 yoyo. Add in clothing and other bits and pieces at about 300 yoyo, all over the last 12 months.

Johnny, where abouts do you do your biking? I bought a good quality bike a few years back and I don't get out near as much as I should. Any good trails to recommend? Nothing too difficult as I'm still very much a learner!

thanks

KR

PS. to keep this relevant to the topic... there is a bike shop in Fairview (Little Sports) and the staff there are very friendly, esp the old guy. I think he does Trek bikes. He is always giving advice out for free!

Yeah, Little Sport do Trek alright, and a couple of decent-but-cheaper-than-Trek brands.

Cyclelogical will knock a fair bit off a new Trek, particularly an '04 model if you manage to find one in stock.

Johnny, I am interested in where you're riding too, especially if it's around Dublin.

Trojan wrote:
    Cyclelogical will knock a fair bit off a new Trek, particularly an '04 model if you manage to find one in stock.

Cyclelogical used to do a 10% discount on a cash deal, at least they did for me when I bought my bike from them. But that was two years ago.

There's loads of places to ride in and around Dublin - 3 Rock, Ticknock, Kilmashogue, Tibradden, Glencullen, Howth head, St. Annes Park.

A little further south, into North Wicklow, its an MTB paradise - Crone Wood, Djouce Woods, Maulin, Ballinstoe, Curtlestown etc etc.

BUT - the trails are hard to find and hard to follow and hard to link up for a good spin if you don't where they are. And because MTB is technically illegal almost everywhere in Ireland, you can't go out and buy a trail guide because no-one wants to risk publishing one. So, the best thing to do right now for Dublin based wannabee MTB'ers is to surf to http://www.mtbireland.com,
    the premier Irish MTB website and check out the Epic MTB forum on Rider Talkback.

Epic are the most active MTB club for beginners and run beginner spins every Saturday and longer spins on Sundays. Its a very friendly, no pressure (unless we're racing) thing, and we wait for everyone.

This way, you'll soon get to know the trails and be able to go whenever you want, and bring along new people with you.

One more thing about buying a bike - always check the web for a price. Evans cycles in the UK http://www.evanscycles.co.uk have had the best prices for the last couple of years and its 25 STG to your door. Hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 afrix

i just bought a Specialized Rockhopper from Evans Cycle - www.evanscycles.co.uk 6 days for delivery and €250.00 euros cheaper than the dealer in cork. Great service and no hassels and the bike arrived 95% assembled, just add pedels.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

afrix wrote:
    i just bought a Specialized Rockhopper from Evans Cycle - www.evanscycles.co.uk 6 days for delivery and €250.00 euros cheaper than the dealer in cork. Great service and no hassels and the bike arrived 95% assembled, just add pedels.

I was thinking of using Evans Cyle, nice to see a positive recommendation. How do you know which size to buy ? I am 6 foot, and am looking to start cycling again after many years, any advice on which size bike (17",19" or 21") would be appreciated. Will be buying a MTB.

Thanks.

kramxw wrote:
    I was thinking of using Evans Cyle, nice to see a positive recommendation. How do you know which size to buy ? I am 6 foot, and am looking to start cycling again after many years, any advice on which size bike (17",19" or 21") would be appreciated. Will be buying a MTB.

Thanks.
    I'm 6'3" and I got an 19" bike (whoah, the innuendo is blinding me)
    It's very comfortable to cycle. If you can see the bike you want in a bike shop here and at least stand over it to see how it fits then you would get a good idea. For an MTB you should have a min of 3" clearance. After that I think the length of the frame is important. Check what the geometry of the frame is and then try and find a similar bike that you can measure yourself up against.
    hope that helps ya
    KR

I'm 6' and ride a 19" frame. It fits me like a glove.

But...

* Not all manufacturers use exactly the same measurement for frame sizes
    * Full suspension will measure slightly differently from hardtails
    * Try as many as you can before you buy.

Also depends on what you're use is, people who race MTB favour smaller frames as you get more control over the bike.

Advertisement