Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blade Runner directors cut

• 10-07-2000 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

is on this saturday Channel 4 at 9 and a nice big documentary aswell if ya cant watch it then tape it brilliant film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

and for those who missed it on Slashdot..

It's official, Decker is the 5th Replicant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

*sigh* unlikely I know, at this stage, but there could be people reading this who don't want one interpretation of the Director's Cut ending spoiled for them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's not official - he's not anything in particular.
    has anyone read the follow on books by Jeter?
    that gives a whole new interpretation to the replicant thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

According to Scott he is...but then he didn't write it. I'm not convinced that Decker was one of the 6 replicants that escaped.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

what is he talking about, Blade Runner, or Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (I always let out a little snigger at that title smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Bullitt

nice one Genius i would have missed it, better buy a new video cassette for this one no crappy old 1 for this film

tis CLASS and i love it hehe

P.S. if he is one of the Replicants which he ain't how come he is no where near as strong as them ??

[This message has been edited by Bullitt (edited 11-07-2000).]

But if he isn't one of the replicants which he is why doesn't Rutger Hauer kill him on the rooftop, and what's the tinfoil unicorn mean?? eh, eh??

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 12-07-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

and when the female replicant asked "Have you run this test on yourself" why didn't he answer?

come on lads you still aint answered why he wasnt ass strong ??? which is a more revelant question to if he is a replicant or not

as for your point Castor Troy Rutger didnt kill him on the roof cause

" in the last few moments of his life he loved life more than he ever had before."

and if Deckerd was a a replicant why did rutger say to him
    " i've seen things you people wouldn't believe "
    note the you people.

and the tinfoil figure it was left at his house as a sign to deckerd that he could have killed the girl but didnt. Why he didnt who knows mabye as a reward for deckerds hard work in despatching the other replicants or because he was afraid to do so cause of what deckerd would do to him if he did kill her so gave him a warning to leave before someone else came after her.

remrmber my question on strenght you doubters!

[This message has been edited by Bullitt (edited 12-07-2000).]

He was probably not as strong because they were possibly trying to get closer to human than the enhanced replicatants that were used off world.

Batty didn't know he was a replicant (so he couldn't have been the 6th escaped replicant) and assumed he was human, so the use of "you people".

Draco

• Advertisement

With regard to the strength question: say you had enough strength to punch straight through a concrete wall - if you didn't know you had this strength, you would not go around punching concrete walls, as you think you'd break your hand.

If Deckard didnt know he possessed such strength, it's logical he would not attempt to use it.

As for the tinfoil 'figure' Bullitt - it's a unicorn, as per Deckard's dream in the Director's Cut. Why would anyone specifically make a unicorn, rather than a dog or some such - unicorns aren't exactly creatures you see every day. Answer: the unicorn dream is an implanted memory that Deckard has as a replicant, as per the memories that Sean Young has e.g. spiders in the tree outside her window, implanted memories from Eldon Tyrell's six year old neice.

Ah, i love Blade Runner - endless debate possible smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Ahhh yes, Blade Runner, the greatest Sci_fi flick ever made. Is Deckard a replicant. Mabye, who knows. Its one of those unanswerable questions that great movies sometimes ask us, eg, what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, what was in the suitcase in Barton Fink, who on earth thought that Arnold Schwarzenegger would be a fantastic Mr Freeze?? That kinda thing.

Say hello to my little friend !!!

ok well i ain't seen the director's cut in ages ( so i cant remember all the details)and i already have to normal version and have watched it about 3/4 times already this year so its fresh in my mind more than the directors cut which might explain my thinking along the lines of him not being a replicant. So mabye i am wrong, like Plastic Membrane said topic of endless discussion. So i think i'll watch the directors cut and re-think this whole is he isnt he business.

PS -- TOPIC His Strength
    Even if he didnt know how strong he was i sure he would have found out pretty quickly when fighting leon and Rutger, but he was still no match for them even whrn hi belted Rutger with the pipe if he was as strong he would have finished him, so he was definately not 1 of the escaped replicants.
    Also if he was a replicant why was Rutger calling him " Little man " as in him not posessing the same strenght as Rutger.

As for him being a replicant like Rachel and having no termination date this is more possible but, and would explain the Dreams he had but i'll have to wait till i see the directors cut for that 1
    Bullitt
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I
    just squandered" - George Best.

[This message has been edited by Bullitt (edited 12-07-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Does anyone know if the blade runner video that came with the blade runner role playing game is the normal or directors cut of blade runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Genius

Its the normal version of the film that came free with the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Must get someone to tape the directors cut for me, i get the opinion its better than the normal one?

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 12-07-2000).]

Originally posted by Vincent:
    Must get someone to tape the directors cut for me, i get the opinion its better than the normal one?

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 12-07-2000).]

considerably, it's got a proper ending for one thing, and that naff voiceover is gone.

Much better. all things being equal, Harrison Fords tacked on Noir-Chanderesque voiceover in the original really annoyed the hell outta me. Without it, the film is much more mysterious, nay dreamier.I have the directors cut at home, bought it a few years ago. In widescreen, which was nice..

Okay, I know what I'm about to say amounts to hearsy, but...the voice over does explains some things that irked me. I seen the directors cut first and the the original. When Decker meets that other blade runner for the first time I wanted to know what the language he was speaking. It is little things like that I like to know. There were a couple of other background things that were mentioned in the voice over that I felt added to the depth of the world. This doesn't mean that I prefer the original edit over the directors cut, but I think the voice over gets a bit of a hard time.

Dr-(Please don't burn me!)-aco

hmmm, you gotta point. But i still think that the voiceover was irksome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i can tell you right now i never realised that tinfoil thing at the end was a unicorn. so i guess the film makes total sense now - at last wink.gif
    deckard is a rep btw, defo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Hmm I dont think there is a right and wrong the movie is ment to be thought provokeing its ment to make you wonder if he is a replicant in essance its ment to start arguments like the one on this post"is he a rep or isnt he"
    note.the game was cool because it let you decide the ending you wanted,if you wanted to be a good cop and kill off all the rep you could if you wanted to ride of into the sunset with the reps you could sure it didnt have the same plot as the movie but it hade the same idea.

How long has it been since I slept in a bed like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i agree the game is indeed excellent wink.gif
    i've only ever gotten 2 out of 13 endings thou

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

Oh yea one last thing on this topic, i would recommend the soundtrack for this film its excellent so if you have napster etc. just search for Blade Runner or buy the cd as its worth the money

Bullitt
    "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I
    just squandered" - George Best.

Advertisement