Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E.L Club names

• 29-09-2004 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

This thread is about the club names of the Eircom League.

Does anyone think that some of the names are ridiculous ? I think so. For example Longford town and the likes of town_name united. Why couldnt they come up with better names.

The only names that have any credit are bohs and maybe Shels.

The names look particluarly daft when they are playing in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hmmmm....

Aston Villa
    Fulham
    Bolton
    Birmingham City
    Coventry City
    Sheffield United/Weds
    Manchester United/City
    Liverpool
    Bayern Munich
    Lyon
    Marseille

etc

Yeah, place names for football teams are stupid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its just because Irish place names sound stupid, not the place name thing, just Irish names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How can place names be stupid?

Nearly every team in Europe is named after the place it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Its just because Irish place names sound stupid, not the place name thing, just Irish names.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yes they should call themselves names like manchester longford or home farm everton and they should play in England aswell that way everybody in ireland would support them and be proud to be irish and get across to see them every week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think people really think about club names TBH. There's a lot of weird names on English clubs:

Crystal Palace
    Sheffield Wedensday
    Nottingham Forest
    Rushden and Diamonds
    Leyton Orient
    Accrington Stanley

As for Irish place names being funny.
    Waterford Utd, Drogheda Utd, Derry City, Dublin City, Longford Town, Cork City. They all seem fine to me. There are also weird town names on teams in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The only names that have any credit are bohs and maybe Shels.
    The names look particluarly daft when they are playing in Europe.

Wow and isn't it a coidincence that Bohs and Shels are probably the two most glamourous clubs in Ireland the present time?

I'd imagine if a time from Ireland called 'The Emerald Green Pixies FC' were in the last eight of the Champions league year after year you'd probably think they had a great name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Rushden and Diamonds
    Leyton Orient
    Accrington Stanley

Even worse !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

eirebhoy wrote:
    Accrington Stanley
    Who are they?

The_B_Man wrote:
    Who are they?
    I'm assuming you don't watch Sky Sports' Gilette Soccer Saturday? :D They're always mentioned. They're a conference club AFAIK.
    Even worse !!
    The 3 names you quoted are lower league clubs but they are just as bad as a name like Crystal Palace. What I can take from that is they need time to grow on you, you are used to hearing Crystal Palace so don't find it strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

eirebhoy wrote:
    Sheffield Wedensday.
    Set up by workers from a mill or something that used to have a half day on Wednesdays, hence they played football on Wednesdays
    Leyton Orient.
    Leytonstone is in the East End of London, hence Orient.

Remember Kilkenny City used to be called EMFA, something to do with 2 areas in Kilkenny called Emmet Place and Fatima Mansions, something like that.

At least clubs do not have nicknames attached to offical names like sports clubs in the US and other countries have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm assuming you don't watch Sky Sports' Gilette Soccer Saturday? They're always mentioned. They're a conference club AFAIK.
    I assume The_B_Man is referring back to the scouser TV ad from the eighties with Ian Rush. I think it was for milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Best post ever!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    'The Emerald Green Pixies FC'

You try to come up with a crap name , but you have actually come up with the best name for a football team ever :D .

If I ever found a club thats what il call them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Shamrok wrote:
    I assume The_B_Man is referring back to the scouser TV ad from the eighties with Ian Rush. I think it was for milk.

He got some well deserved +rep from me anyway... :D

He got some well deserved +rep from me anyway... :D
    I just got negetive rep for not knowing the ad. :D Ah well, fair play to Pickarooney for putting his name beside the comment, there's others who wouldn't and that I hate. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Not a patch on Scottish club names:

Hamilton Academicals
    Queen of the South
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DapperGent wrote:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Aren't these an amalgamation of two teams, happened a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

por wrote:
    Set up by workers from a mill or something that used to have a half day on Wednesdays, hence they played football on Wednesdays

Wrong answer! actually was a cricket team that setup the club.......they cud only play on a wednesday because they had cricket matchs on a Saturday so thats how the Wednesday part was added!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

seansouth wrote:
    Aren't these an amalgamation of two teams, happened a few years back?
    Yep Inverness Thistle and Inverness Caledonian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

What's even more annoying is if you're a waterford united supporter & when they list the honours won many forget to mention that we won 6 leagues & 2 cups as just plain old Waterford.
    The new formed club in mid 1980's were happy with this originally but very quickly decided they needed the successes of the past to make the club seem attractive.

Advertisement