Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Group Effort

Options
  • 29-09-2004 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi there:
    ok this is the idea: I d like to get a lot of people and to create our own hosting/website/eComerce/development/tools/etc using Open source initally using everyones diferent skills
    So for example I know a bit about php Mysql, linux, DW, Fireworks, delphi, c, etc. then someone who knows how to host would do that(or we could all pay for a decent hosting ie if we are 10 we put 10 euros a year and that would do), some designer would do the design, so basically anyone can put something in there as well.
    I think that we could even do something like elance but for free and better.
    This would help a lot people trying to learn, or add new projects to your portfolio etc.

I know this is not really clear but it s hard to explain as it is an open project.
    I know there is a lot of people there trying to do better and this sort of interaction would help us all investing a little of our time
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The "group effort" bit I understood.
    The project goals don't seem very clear. Could you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

he wants to get a group of people together to collaborate to the best of their individual abilities on stuff.

clear now?

really, a defined goal is the only way to organise a team. Otherwise you'll spend all your time with the initial setup debate and never really get anyhting done as members leave from boredom brought about from inactivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

Lolth, I think you are right, what if the goal is something like
    To create a website to offer freelance services. The website could inlcude applications developed by any of the members in a trial and or shareware basis.
    What do you think?

and....I am a she.:D

LoLth wrote:
    he wants to get a group of people together to collaborate to the best of their individual abilities on stuff.
    To achieve what??

To learn in the proces of making it work
    to have your own part of the project in your portfolio
    to have a place to display what you can do(has to be true though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe you're talking about a community project organising site - that is, someone thinks of an idea, members of the community join in, and then the finished product is offered free from the site as Open Source software. Is this it?

Or were you thinking more that someone has an idea for a website or web service, and then people similarly group together to develop and maintain the project.

I think the second idea is probably a better one to go for, as the former exists in abundance on the web. What you need then are a few projects to get you going, and someone willing to be project organiser for each. The initial website development could work from this project idea.

well, if you can get the project off the ground (and I hope you do) I'll get devore (or rahter I'll very nicely ask devore) to create a sub-forum here if you want.

Doubt I'd be much use on the developement side but if you want ideas and/or testing done, feel free to give me a shout.

seamus: it is definetly the second idea
    interested?
    lolth: thanks a lot, your help will be greatly apreciated, and im sure you have something else to offer
    I hope we can get the project off the ground as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

the idea of developing some opensource webtool is a good idea.

but just wondering if the good web designers/developers in this forum would also like to devote some time to creating websites for charaties? that would not have the funds to pay for it? would be a good oppertunity to collaborate and also you could add the work you do to your portfolio.

anyone interested? i'm sure we could find a few charities that need this service provided.

If you need help with the hosting you know where to find me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Yea id be interested in developing an open source tool. I havent a clue about how we could go about it but im sure someone has some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I'm not sure i get it.
    Or were you thinking more that someone has an idea for a website or web service, and then people similarly group together to develop and maintain the project.

What kind of thing? Combining the awesome powers of all the web people here is a great idea, but without *an* idea there's little point? I too love the idea of creating an open source tool - but as with everything, its coming up with the idea thats hard.

What do we do? A Content Management System? Are we aiming to be truly original? Do we check the project doesnt exist on sourceforge before we do it?

I mean I've had tcal.net for the last 5 years and there's been nothing but rubbish on that. It serves its purpose as a playground/lab for me to fool around with everything & anything...but I lack any actual 'killer app' ideas at present. [they're coming...i swear...] At present its nothing more than a poor mans boing boing which i used to learn wordpress & and php.

My web site skills lean heavily towards design, icon/image/branding etc. One of my favourite things to do would be to give a web tool a branding. [ala the firefox image...]

Can we call it little wolf? Cause i just made this little wolf ;)

In all seriousness though, you've definately peaked my interest and I'd like to hear more.

hi there:
    first of all thanks a lot,
    I understand that the idea is a bit loose

I dont think you can be very original in this kind of thing because eveything has been done already, but no everything has been done properly, take the example of skype, its phone over the interenet, several diferent companies, including msm tryed that but the product wasnt good enough, but now this thing is working and loads of people are using it. that s what i want.
    what I m aming at here is to do something that works, and that works like a charm, and that can evolve in time and we should evolve with it

and i love the little wolf
    I d love to start to DO something right now.

how about yous

can we start to split the tasks?
    What can each of you do?
    Please pm me. I browsed and found several content management systems and some of them seem to be fine
    I ve also found a forum
    all in php
    Thanks in advance

Not to be annoying, but what do we need a forum for? Whats wrong with this thread?

Split the tasks? Tasks to do what?

CMS? What will be stored in it?

Until you have a better idea of what content you intend to be posting I dont think it is wise to go selecting a content manager... how can you tell if one is better or more suitable than another?

As for forum space: I'll send a pm to DeV or post on the admin board.

If you could provide a clear idea of what the objective is then that would be a good starting point.
    At the moment it seems to be very fluffy

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

ok sorry to just barge into this thread and start bossing around but i think we need to assign different positions to people baised on what they are best at, myself and whoever mentioned being good at design there can be the design team, the girl/woman who came up with the idea can be the project manager, now we need programmers, that can be whoever was saying they are good with php mysql, and a few ppl who have a few good ideas, anyone else got more suggestions for positions we need

p.s. - i think what she means is that we all combine our skills in webdesign to create a killer webdesign team to kinda come up with some new ideas for design/programming/whatever else there is to redesign/reform whatever, basically a comming together of skills and ideas to create something that ppl will appreciate, am i right?

no. assigning roles is pointless without an idea.

i'm not going to be on the design team and then go do an open source wiki dedicated to something i think is completely ridiculous.

also, i won't extend a single drop of effort without a worthwhile idea.

ideas first.

What about a tutorial/source code site?? know its been done, but i think its a good place to START and then i know the ideas will flow, this is always how i approach something, always start to do SOMEthing first then focus in on something, make it better, then make it even better and then finally even better again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Count me in. this is exactly what i want. Im doing nothing every night and bored and feel like im wasting valueable time. I came up with a odd idea last night. maybe not odd but interesting perhaps.
    It basically this:
    Set up a program on a computer that communicates to a gsm mobile. The program will be an AI bot. People text this phone, goes to computer and then the bot finds results for what the person wants. Like text "Weather today please" or something, and it will get the latest weather on the internet and send it back. This could be a free / fun project to do. It could even build up a profile of the phone number. I dunno like learn about this person. Its an idea i spose... i come up with lots of wierd ones but id like to work together with people on something alright.

Well,

I see we havent really moved very far in the last few days. How about if people throw in some ideas on what they would like to work on. That way we can discuss the merits of each and decide as a group on what we should work on. Theres no point assigning tasks if we dont know what we will be designing or programming. i agree with lolth here, if i wanted to put effort into a project i wasnt interested in then id just go to work :)

To get the ball rolling heres an idea that i was going to work on myself in my part time to learn VB.NET, because of this i dont think it is exactly right for the project but sure here it is anyway:

Its Multi Tool Program which has a simplified version of all the common Tools that i use with different sections to sort them e.g

COMPUTER
    Zip File utility - create and open existing archives.
    Image editor - simple version
    File / folder explorer - advanced version with files opening in a
    panel on click.
    Computer tools - Tasklist, memory info, registry editor, temp file manager.

INTERNET
    Telnet / SSH - PUTTY like program.
    FTP client
    Bit torrent client
    IRC client
    AIM Client
    Bookmark keeper
    RSS Feeds
    Network tools - Pings, traceroute, Connection testing, Dns lookup,
    arp, ICMP, everything.

PROGRAMMING
    Code writer - richtext editor which can highlight/colour certain
    keywords as defined in a keyword list file, a different list for each
    language eg. VB, VB.NET, C++ etc.
    Compiler config - simple configurable tool that pases the a file to
    external compiler.
    Code snippet Keeper - before and after code selection and description. - Macros.
    SQL Tool - connect to databases and run queries. - Include an SQL reference.
    String manipulator / dictionary creator
    HTML and CSS creator - create html and css files - use the code keeper

gary.css) and the like.

USER
    Calander / schedule
    Notebook - rich text editor.
    Media player - mp3,ogg,avi,mpeg and possible divx.

ADMIN
    Admin sections - manage all the different utilities from here.

I wwas going to use a Menu system like the one in VS.NET, with sections that slide up and down to reveal the objects. The whole thing would have to be as small as i could make it as i was hoping to keep it on a USB key drive and carry it around with me so i can work on different machines. Its way beyond me at the moment but i see it as a chance to learn something new.

I dont think its right for this Project but im putting it in to get the ball rolling and maybe prompt some others to put in their ideas.

funkygreendog you are getting my idea

dangerman and blacknight: I m trying to start of with a website that offers freelancers the oportunity to advertise themselves and to people looking for IT/design expertise to advertise their needs.
    that is to start of , future growth will include tutorials, video tutorials meetings to exchange knowledge and more
    is the idea clear?

roundcrisis

What about an internet based Image Editor and we can add advanced features as we go along, something like photoshop only you edit images through your browser, and a facility to host the complete images like imageshack.us.....?

roundcrisis: i'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but only because I've experience with big ideas that ended up going nowhere. I hope you don't think I don't like you/or the general idea... i'm just a bit sceptical.
    dangerman and blacknight: I m trying to start of with a website that offers freelancers the oportunity to advertise themselves and to people looking for IT/design expertise to advertise their needs.

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.freelanceireland.ie/index.html

Or perhaps a webdesigner/programmer version of

http://www.illustratorsireland.com/

In my experience, the only way to start something like this is for one catalyst to go and do it. If the catalyst goes and produces a web site with a poor interface but a solid idea behind it, then I've no problem swooping in and [hopefully] making it look pretty.

In terms of a code project, it's the same idea: One catalyst produces a beta with a gpl licence, and then as that gains in popularity interested individuals from all over the net take your code, improve it and the ones that do good work become part of the team and thats how it turns into something bigger.

Perhaps even the one person producing a design spec for an application is enough to get others to go and do it, but it would have to be a worthwhile idea and very well thought out.

Simply saying ok, you go do the graphics, I'll do the content, and you do the backend without one person dictating exactly what is needed doesn't really work imo.

hi funkygreendogs, i appreciate the imput but I can't see the use of such a tool really, it would be a very good thing if its an application, even a browser based one, but as an online tool. why?
    please let me know

my idea: not really website based but you'll see what I mean...

A tool for mapping a LAN.
    There are already tools out there for reporting the contents of a LAN and the details of those contents but.. what would be pretty nifty would be a graphical representation of a network that the admin can alter and browse through as required. perhaps even include a "notes" section for each element of the network to store custom information.

I would see the output presented in a web browser and navigated as a series of linked webpages called from a database (asp or php?)

Graphically, obviously it would have to have icons etc included and a nifty interface. Design wise this would have to be intuitive and clear.

Codewise: the action of collecting cross platform information on PCs and MACs as well as identifying routers, switches, printers. pointing to the primary and secondary domain servers and identifying what hardware has connections outside the LAN (router/firewall obviously, pcs with active modem connections, fax machines)

there would be a lot of work involved for every facet of this project I think. It is something I would love to be able to use and would love even more to be able to write (but me=crap at that side of things - I'd still research and lend a hand where ever possible though).

Just a thought.

Lolth

your idea is quite interesting but the only problem i can see is that if it was to be built in asp or php then it could only run on webserver or a machine that had IIS / apache installed. This may be a drawback for in certain situations. Whereas if you built it in a standalone Application that scanned and drew up a diagram layout of the nework then it may be easier to for the person using it to run.

Now i might be over critical as i do have a machine that i could install a web version of this tool so its possible others will as well.

roundCrisis
    Are you sure you want to build a web based appication using asp/php or are you open to other ideas.

Ok we've lost momentum with this project, we need to get the ball rolling again, the LAN project is a good idea and also a tutorial site and maybe a few charity website thrown in for free to create a name for ourselves, does the crumlin childrens hospital charity have a site? we could implement a paypal donate / credit card donation system ..etc...............

• Advertisement

As I said before, I am almost 100% inept when it comes to programming. I only mentioned asp/php because I thought it might be an easier way to organise and access the data collected. However, having been subjected to a Delphi program recently I can see that a standalone app would work just as well.

Advertisement