Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Hunting ??

• 29-09-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Have we any rabbit hunters out there??
    I've been hunting a few times... mainly in the UK.
    I was wondering if there any any good spots to hunt on the outskirts of Dublin/north Wicklow.
    Also what are the legalities of shooting on government land/forestry etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So far as I know mcguiver, you're not allowed shoot on state lands. The NARGC has a big problem with that.

Quick edit to point out that the NARGC's problem is with the being prevented from shooting, not the shooting on state lands bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

MMMMMMM, I'd guessed as much.

Id assume then that you can only hunt on private land..with the owners permission??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So far as I know, yes - but I'm not a hunter mcguiver. Best to ask some of the hunters in here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The NARGC issue is with a ban on shooting in national parks. Shooting takes place on state owned land, such as Coillte managed forests continually. The catch is that like all other land, you need proper permission to shoot on it, and civil servants find it a lot easier to say no than yes.
    Coillte tenders deer shooting rights, not sure about other sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

civdef wrote:
    The NARGC issue is with a ban on shooting in national parks. Shooting takes place on state owned land, such as Coillte managed forests continually. The catch is that like all other land, you need proper permission to shoot on it, and civil servants find it a lot easier to say no than yes.
    Coillte tenders deer shooting rights, not sure about other sorts.

Our club rented a woodland off An Coilte for general Game shooting in west kildare a few years running.
    Although The department of public works, Do issue permits for shooting various lake lands around Ireland, although there is a spescific list of lakes you can shoot & sanctuary areas on these which must be abided by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

shinobi wrote:
    Our club rented a woodland off An Coilte for general Game shooting in west kildare a few years running.
    Although The department of public works, Do issue permits for shooting various lake lands around Ireland, although there is a spescific list of lakes you can shoot & sanctuary areas on these which must be abided by.

duchas issue a foreshore license for costal areas and lakes. this only covers the foreshore which by definition is the area between high and low water marks. in practise it's a bit of a grey area, but in general if your feet are wet you're ok!

this license does not give you permission to shoot on or access the foreshore from private land adjacent to the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

I'm a hunter in Dublin and its practicaly impossible to get permission from anyone....but if you have insurance it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

benhurt1 wrote:
    I'm a hunter in Dublin and its practicaly impossible to get permission from anyone....but if you have insurance it helps.

i agree, not many people want to allow individuals onto their land with or without insurance. I'd always ask for written permission from the land owner just in case you have trouble with the gardai or need to make an insurance claim.

i think your best bet is to get involved with a local game club as they will have permission on a lot of land for vermin control etc.

I tried to get in touch with a couple of NARGC clubs in Dublin a few years back, but hit a brick wall. They don't seem to be too interested in getting new members.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

By the way,If anyone hears of any landowners within an hours drive of Dublin that needs vermin controlled I would be happy to oblige! I have over 20 years experience and insurance. PM me.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement