Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Theft

• 29-09-2004 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I turned twenty last week and I recieved a card of my grandparents through the mail. It was very obvious what was in the envelope from its feel and appearance ( stiff cardboard, you know yourself ).
    It was delivered late and there were two stickers on it acknowledgeing that, but the reason why wasn't marked on the stickers as it should have been in the form of a ticked box. Also there was tape over the flap.
    The problem is that my grandparents would normally give me a gift of some money but the card was empty. There was however some colouration on the card as if some ink from a note had rubbed off onto it.
    I don't know for certain that there was money in it although I'm quite sure of it. I was wondering does anybody have any suggestions or experience about what I should do ( after I make sure that money was missing, of course )?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

first off ask your grandparents if they sent you the cash.

then take it further.

if there's stickers on the envelope then take it to an post and ask them what the deal is. explain money was taken from it, and ask them what you can do to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sending money through the post is a risk, it isn't covered by An Post (or any postal service, unless you send the letter registered). I'd say no doubt one of the thieving little bastards that works there took it, it's not unheard of, but you can't prove it and they don't cover it. It's why people advise against sending money through regular post, if it goes missing (either actually going missing or being stolen), there's no come-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

you have very little proof or come back when it comes to sending cash through the post. There is no record of it etc.

I guess its just tough luck really. I know bank drafts etc are a pain in the arse, but if you are sending money through the post its the only safe way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Same thing happened to me last year. My aunt send me a card with some money in it, and the envelope was ripped and the money gone.

She called an post and they gave her a telling off for sending money through the post! Not helpful at all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

AFAIK, sending money through the post is illegal.
    It's just something lingering in the back of my head... I've no facts to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It is so irritating when that happens... my godmother sent me cash for my LC results and she always sends a cheque, jst this time happened to have euros in the house (she lives in London) so put them in and card hasn't turned up at all.... True it could have simply gotten lost but I have my suspicions! Unfortunately I don't think theres anything you can do about it except hope ur grandparents forgot to put the money in :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

sending money in the post is always risky as Third_Echelon said bank drafts are the way to go!!! that or registered post!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

As has already been said - your out of luck. If you ring An Post to complain they will most likely tell you you shouldnt be sending money in the post and if you do,its your own fault if it goes missing :rolleyes:

I remember seeing a documentary on channel 4 about the royal mail and the complete joke it was when it comes to security. The mail sorter guys were actully telling the channel 4 guy how to figure out if money was in the card and the best way of getting it out. If the royal mail is like that you can imagine what An Post are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

vibe666 wrote:
    first off ask your grandparents if they sent you the cash.

I advise against this.

If they say no they didnt they will feel like sh*t. You will feel like sh*t.

BAD BAD BAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Mear wrote:
    I advise against this.

BAD BAD BAD.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I advise against this.

BAD BAD BAD.

You could always ask a third party (i.e. one of your parents) to casually ask your grandparents.

You could pretend that you didn't get a card at all and see what reaction your grandparents have.
    Hopefully something along the lines of: "Oh and we put €1000 into it and everything! Here's some more cash.."

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I would mention to them that the envelope had been ripped open and taped back up by the post office and wait for them to ask if the money was still in it, just an idea to avoid embarrassment. Alternatively ask them jokingly if they had to reopen and reseal the card for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

You're not living in on-campus residence are you ?
    Birthday cards sent to students are always the best chance of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you put cash in an card then don't seal the envelope. If it's unsealed they'll assume there's nothing in it and won't open it. If you seal it, that's a dead give away that there's cash inside and some pilfering little bollix will rob it. I've had cards that I posted or were posted to me go missing before, just because they were sealed, even though no money inside. If you leave it open, it's normally fine.
    Of course the propper thing to do is register post it and insure it for the cash value or use a crossed cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Gurgle wrote:
    You're not living in on-campus residence are you ?
    Birthday cards sent to students are always the best chance of cash.

Nope. Still staying at home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jor el wrote:
    If you put cash in an card then don't seal the envelope. If it's unsealed they'll assume there's nothing in it and won't open it. If you seal it, that's a dead give away that there's cash inside and some pilfering little bollix will rob it. I've had cards that I posted or were posted to me go missing before, just because they were sealed, even though no money inside. If you leave it open, it's normally fine.
    Of course the propper thing to do is register post it and insure it for the cash value or use a crossed cheque.

Ack, now the thieves will all know to open the non-sealed envelopes :(

[aside]anyone know what the black arrow on a green background meand in the list of icons for your messge?[/aside]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i think this happened to me last week, turned 21, brother sent me a check but i still haven't recieved it.. dnt know how much it was for or if he cancelled it but i definitely should have got it by now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's just something lingering in the back of my head... I've no facts to back it up.
    It is in Germany if I remember rightly but as far as I know it's OK here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Certainly in Germany and probably other countries. It's an anti-money laundering measure.
    woosaysdan wrote:
    sending money in the post is always risky as Third_Echelon said bank drafts are the way to go!!!
    Bank drafts aren't really any more secure than cash.

Advertisement