Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced Restart each time I make a change to my network settings

• 29-09-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Ok another strange one. I run windows xp pro.

For reasons too long to explain here - i regularly change my network settings to go switch between to networks......

However, just today, each time I make a change to the settings (as in just my ip address, subnet mask and gateway) I am being told I need to reboot.

This has never happened before.... anyone else encounter this?

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

sorry guys got it - the dhcp server was down.... but not sure why that caused it!

Tom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't ya just love the way 98 / NT / 2k(XP) behave differently depending on whether they can detect a network connection / DHCP server on it.

there is an app that allows you to choose several settings - can't remember what it is called.

also in XP you can change the autoconfig IP addreess in TCP/IP advanced so if a DHCP server is not available you fallback to a static IP

also you can run an app like dhcpsvr.exe to hand your machine an IP address. the neat bit is you use 127.0.0.1 as the server ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

oh yeah i love it to bits! ;)

Thanks for the tips man !!!!

Tom

Advertisement