Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blocking a lost/stolen mobile 'phone..?

• 29-09-2004 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Friend at work has lost (or more likely had nicked) her nice new cameraphone.

I know she can ring her provider (Vodafone, I think) and have her billpaid a/c closed, but am I right in telling her that she can also give them the IMEI no. and that they'll be able to block the 'phone from being used on any network? (so that whoever has it can't just stick a new SIM card into it...)

Thanks for any advice you can give; I don't know sh1t about 'phones — too old! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Yeah I think you can get them to block the phone. I mean if you give the IMEI code they can unlock it, so I don't see why they couldn't block it as well.

The only way to know is if she gave them a call and asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah the service provider should block the imei code, actually if its a bill phone they should have it on record and be able to block it once its reported missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Yep had to block a phone in october you just ask the mobile operator to black list the IMEI number.

This should be the 15 digit number and can be found on the box the mobile came in.

For others who still have their phone but do not have the box they should type *#06# into the phone and write down the IMEI number in case this happens to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers lads, that's all good news.
    Hopefully she can find her IMEI #....

peckerhead wrote:
    Cheers lads, that's all good news.
    Hopefully she can find her IMEI #....
    has she rang the provider yet? they take a note of the imei code when you sign up and when you up-grade to a new phone. though if it was a ready to go phone and not registered there isnt a lot they can do for you except block the sim card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

blocking with the IMEI is a nogo myth
    IMES's are in many cases duplicated so they risk blocking more than one number.
    With a simle flash kit it won't matter anyway the IMEI can be changed.

egan007 wrote:
    blocking with the IMEI is a nogo myth
    IMES's are in many cases duplicated so they risk blocking more than one number.
    With a simle flash kit it won't matter anyway the IMEI can be changed.
    didnt know about that, but that would be people robbing them for a living, not someone in an office situation like this who picked up the phone and said nice wan a camera phone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

they may work in an office and rob phones too !!

one of the guys here had his phone stolen off the desk - never found out where it went but never seen the cleaner after the either ;)

yeah but like i said someone could of just picked it up and started using it till it was blocked most people wouldnt go to all the bother of changing the imei code, let alone knowing it can be done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

AFAIK on moore st they will unlock a phone for 10 euro ,

this is were the gardai need to concentrate a bit more effort. nab hte junkies red handed and get the people unlocking stolen phones (not sure that would stick in court but still ....)

Anyway , if it's a bill phone ask for an itemised bill from your operator , perhaps the junkie made a call with their credit before selling the phone , at least you'll have something to go on.

Calling the police to your place of work may help also .

• Advertisement
Advertisement