Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puzzle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its a mis print biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Oh god not this again.

Look for a post by Devore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Ill side with crash's arguement untill a better explanation comes along tongue.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Theres a perfectly rational explanation for this, of course I don't have it ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

It depends on placement. it is same size all shapes are same size all squares are same size. so the answer is this by leaving the light green as is placing the brown on top u hav a gap yeah. then to recreate the shape to its original size + gap just move the red piece and the dark green piece. its not an illusion or any such thing its not even a real puzzle ffs. Its just a small brain teaser the answer is so simple yet hard to explain. The hole is there from a result of moving 3 pieces. i.e. the red dark green and brown coloured ones. Its shape displacement. simple really.

I done Techinal Drawing for my leaving cert so to me this is simle. Also its like something you would get in an iq test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

It's an optical illusion. Both the slopes are slightly curved. One outward and the other in. Presto I don't see how you could be right. If the shapes were both identical in their outer dimensions then they should both have the same surface area.

BTW I have never claimed to be an expert on anything in my life so don't flame me if I'm wrong.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:
    I really don't get it
    </font>

I really dont want to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

It's just a trick. One of the diagonal slope is slightly curved inward and the other one is slightly curved outward (i think, could be just one of them is curved), that's why it the bottom one has more surface area. Look at the co-ord 9,3 from the top left corner. The slope there is intersecting a point in the grid but look down and you will see it's slightly raised.

Presto...errr..what? It's really just an optical illusion and the square grid helps to fool you.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Your answer may be correct but the way i said is also possible. Shape manipulation. Trust me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Presto is right there, i agree with him. It took me about 20 seconds but i realised that it only occurs if you move the green and red triangles and swop them with each other.It could be an illusion too? confused.gif
    and they do have a curve on them, the first has an in-ward and the second has an out-ward curve.
    That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

[This message has been edited by Death Sentence (edited 26-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

bored in work so I'll explain it a bit more...

Okay, the 2 drawings already showed you the pieces are identical and just rearranged to form the bigger triangle and they both appeared to be identical. They are already showing you how to do it Presto so what you said was just stating the obvious and not answering the question which is how is it possible. Where did the extra square came from?

Answer is none of the 2 big triangles have a straight diangonal lines. They are in fact 2 straight lines. The line on the top triangle is curving inward and the bottom one is curving outward. The trick is in the red and green triangles. They do not have the same slope but they look like they do. That's why it's an optical illusion. You can't partition a REAL triangle into the same pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

concave, convex

url="http://www.ClanNESW.org"][i]NESW[/i][/urlEl_MUERkOurl="http://www.CoFR.net"][i]CoFR[/i][/url

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Look at the top image. In your mind, move the orange piece to the position it is in the second image. You'll see that the orange piece will 'stick out' from the over-all shape at its top-left corner. It can't fit there really. They're basically cheating in the second image - swelling the red and green triangles to make things fit when they shouldn't be able to.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

okay some quick shape shifting gives me this:

solved.gif

basically becaus the green is lower than the red, in order to fit it in with on the same level you have to move them down the only way to do this is to leave a gap (anyone play tetris).

I don't know if you guys are on drugs or what but where in the name of God are the curved lines.

p.s. sorry bout the size

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 28-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Oh ffs, thats where that my hole went to! biggrin.gif

I've been looking for that for eons!

Aka: Sexual Harassment Panda

Diagram time...
    Puzzle.gif
    First line tells you that if it's a real triangle the straight diagonal line would not pass through the circled co-ord.

Second line (thick cyan line) shows you that it is slight curved inwards. Okay, not really a curve but 2 seperate lines meeting at that co-ord. Third line tells shows you that it curves outward. They use thick black lines is cause it's hard to spot.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 29-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

You nut there are no curved lines, the picture I posted above is how the image would look if you swapped the dark green and red triangles without the light green and yellow shapes being moved to accomodate the fact that greens side is lower than light green and yellow stacked on top of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

and who-ever made this is laughing him/her self silly knowing what kind of strife and arumentation they have caused the world over

*snigger*

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baz_:
    You nut there are no curved lines, the picture I posted above is how the image would look if you swapped the dark green and red triangles without the light green and yellow shapes being moved to accomodate the fact that greens side is lower than light green and yellow stacked on top of each other.</font>
    Okay, if you really fail to see it after putting up that diagram then I give up. Believe whatever you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

The puzzle is asking where does the extra space come from when the area occupied seems to be full. If an two dimensional area is full then you can't get more space just by shifting around the objects. This is an optical illusion they create more space by pushing the top line outwards.

The hardest thing about this puzzle isn't figuring it out it's explaining it to other people who seem to get angry every time somebody disagrees with them.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 30-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

What i love about this is that lucy_la_morte, a 14 year old girl posted this here and is probably laughing her head off at the fact you are all worked up about nothing....nice one lucy biggrin.gif

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

tripuzz.gif

The key to this one is that the two longest edges of the green and red triangles are not at the same angle in either picture. I've drawn the same straight line above each full triangle above to illustrate it.

Here's another to show the angle difference in another way. I've extended each triangles longest edge.
    tripuzz2.gif

It's a very small angle so it's hard to see (and makes it looked curved when it actually isn't) but because it's long enough it contains the area of a small square.

Therefore the reconstructed triangle is taking up more overall area which allows for the square. No individual shape changes it's shape or area but the two composite triangles have different overall areas.

QED. Case closed. Go in peace. smile.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 01-08-2001).]

Advertisement