Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinet Reshuffle

Options
  • 29-09-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Ongoing. Watch it live here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Got a list? I just missed it.

<edit>Noel Dempsey is in DCMNR, that's the one I caught</edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Mary Harney has taken the health portfolio while Brian Cowen moves to finance.

The new Foreign Affairs Minister is Dermot Ahern. Mary Hanafin has been given the education portfolio. Michéal Martin moves to the Department of Trade, Enterprise and Employment.

The further Cabinet changes are:

Communications, Marine, Natural Resources - Noel Dempsey
    Social and Family Affairs - Seamus Brennan
    Transport - Martin Cullen
    Agriculture - Mary Coughlan
    Defence - Willie O'Dea
    Environment - Dick Roche

There are to be four new ministers of state; Sean Power, Batt O'Keeffe, Brendan Smith and Conor Lenihan. The new chief whip is Tom Kitt.

Mr Ahern has also announced that Minister of State Jim McDaid had resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Communications, Marine, Natural Resources - Noel Dempsey
    Social and Family Affairs - Seamus Brennan
    Transport - Martin Cullen
    Agriculture - Mary Coughlan
    Defence - Willie O'Dea
    Environment - Dick Roche
    Health: Mary Harney
    Enterprise: Micheál Martin
    Foreign Affairs: Dermot Ahern
    The rest as before.

Four new ministers of state; Sean Power, Batt O'Keeffe, Brendan Smith and Conor Lenihan. The new chief whip is Tom Kitt.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/09/29/story168744.html
    The Taoiseach has new appointments to his reshuffled cabinet in the Dáil this afternoon, with three new cabinet members and the Tánaiste becoming Minister for Health.

The Taoiseach has named Tánaiste Mary Harney to the key role of Minister for Health and Children.

As expected, Brian Cowen has been named the new Minister for Finance. Dermot Ahern becomes Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Noel Dempsey has been moved from Education to the Communications portfolio. The new Minister for Education is Mary Hanafin.

Outgoing Minister for Health Micheál Martin has been moved to the Enterprise, Trade and Employment ministry.

Séamus Brennan has been transferred to Minister for Social and Family Affairs from the Department of Transport.

Martin Cullen replaces Séamus Brennan as Minister for Transport, having served as Minister for the Environment. Dick Roche is the new Minister for the Environment.

Mary Coughlan is the new Minister for Food and Agriculture. Previous minister Joe Walsh is retiring.

Meanwhile Limerick TD Willie O'Dea has been named the new Minister for Defence.

The outgoing ministers are Joe Walsh (retiring), Micheal Smyth, formerly Minister for Defence and Charlie McCreevy, who has become a European Commissioner.

The Taoiseach also said Sean Power, Batt O'Keeffe, Tony Kileen and Conor Lenihan would move from the backbenches and become Junior Ministers.

Tom Kitt is the new Government chief whip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Jeesh I just said that!! :)

I don't think Dermot Ahern's promotion to Foreign Affairs was expected. Not by me anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

toffeeman wrote:
    I don't think Dermot Ahern's promotion to Foreign Affairs was expected. Not by me anyways!

Well, it was always going to be him or John O'Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The one change I really wanted to see, and he goes and leaves Nazi McDowell in Justice. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

RTE reports;
    Jim McDaid has resigned as a Minister of State, and five new Ministers of State are to be appointed - Sean Power, Batt O'Keeffe, Tony Killeen, Brendan Smith and Conor Lenihan.

But, only 3 junior ministers have been sent up stairs - Willy, Dick and Mary Hanifin (with Kitt taking a half step up to replace Hanifin as chief whip).

So a second junior is going to have to get the bullet in the morning...or can Bertie just create an extra junior job?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

vinnyfitz wrote:
    ...or can Bertie just create an extra junior job?

Yes he can, i don't know the specifics tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Mary Coughlan - Agriculture and Food
    Expected. You gotta give this portfolio to someone from the country. Mary was probably the only choice for this job.

John O'Donoghue - Arts, Sport and Tourism
    Good ol' Zero lives to fight another day.

Noel Dempsey - Communications, Marine and Natural Resources
    This is a demotion for Neol.

Eamonn O'Cuiv - Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs
    Surprise, surprise.

Willie O'Dea - Defence
    Had to put Willie somewhere and no better place than defence. Like what's worst that could happen? Stop US Army flights through Shannon?

Mary Hanafin - Education and Science
    Big promotion for Mary - She doesn't have too many fans on Boardsie, but time will tell how well she does here.

Dick Roche - Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Good on ya Dick. Don't mess up your big promotion.

Brian Cowen - Finance
    About to raid the cookie jar are we Brian? Your future leadership of the party will depend on how well you do here.

Dermot Ahern - Foreign Affairs
    As predicted. Big jump for Dermot.

Mary Harney - Health and Children
    Shock and Awe! Mary, are you sure you want to go in there?

Michael McDowell - Justice, Equality and Law Reform
    NOBODY is going to take this baby away from Michael.

Seamus Brennan - Social and Family Affairs
    You've had your time in front of the cameras Seamus. I'd say Tiny won't be happy here.

Michéal Martin - Enterprise, Trade and Employment
    "PHEW, I thought I'd never get outta there!"

Martin Cullen - Transport
    Martin must have friends in high places.

Tom Kitt - Chief Whip
    Gawd Tom, what did you havve to do to get this cosy number?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin Cullen - Transport Martin must have friends in high places

He must be thrilled when he got Environment he really wanted the transport part but then discovered it was hived off so he now has the job he really wants.

Woman as Agri minister! :eek: What will the mountiany men make of it?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmmm... what a male cabinet... Brennan in Social Welfare! McDowell still in Justice!! Harney in Health, where she can privatise the hospitals!!! Ochón!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Brian Cowen - Finance
    About to raid the cookie jar are we Brian? Your future leadership of the party will depend on how well you do here."

Indeed, indeed, this position is something of a double-edged sword for Mr. Cowen - the potential is there to gain the leadership of the party, yet, if he performs poorly, it will be an ominous note for his future role in politics.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

PH01 wrote:
    Mary Hanafin - Education and Science
    Big promotion for Mary - She doesn't have too many fans on Boardsie, but time will tell how well she does here.

I really dunno what to make of this one.

We really aren't big fans of Harney who has been about as two-faced as they come, but Hanafin is a toothless tiger. All the big institute openings are over (bar DIT's FOCUS) so I'm not sure what she's good for.

Seems to me that if they are really seeing Ireland as a future leader in technology and science they'd put someone better than puppet-girl in there.

Who knows, she may grow into it well. Then again, she may be a complete disaster. You'd imagine bertie wouldn't stick a dimwit in such an important department, but time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

syke wrote:
    Seems to me that if they are really seeing Ireland as a future leader in technology and science they'd put someone better than puppet-girl in there.
    I think she will do a reasonable job of promoting the image of Ireland as a technology leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i see they got rid of Smith !! About time, he should have been kicked out a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PH01 wrote:
    Mary Harney - Health and Children
    Shock and Awe! Mary, are you sure you want to go in there?

I'm looking forward to the reaction in the Dail when she stands up and announces the measures she's going to take to battle the current worrying increase in obesity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

SkepticOne wrote:
    I think she will do a reasonable job of promoting the image of Ireland as a technology leader.

Is that not more the role of the minister of DETE? Mary Harney ceratinly filled it in the last cabinet and even apointed Barry McSweeny as Chief Scientific Advisor to govt
    http://www.universityscience.ie/pages/news/july04/Tanaiste_appointment.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭jlang

What about Brian Lenihan? He was rumoured to be up for Chief Whip so I'm surprised not to see him get at least a Junior post. I wonder if geographical reasons were to blame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ArthurDent wrote:
    Is that note more the role of the minister of DETE? Mary Harney ceratinly filled it in the last cabinet and even apointed Barry McSweeny as Chief Scientific Advisor to govt
    http://www.universityscience.ie/pages/news/july04/Tanaiste_appointment.htm
    Hmmm yes, although I would see Hanafin more of a promoter of rather than someone who makes changes so it is possible that she will take on some of the promotional work. Maybe this is just my perception. It will be interesting to see what emerges.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Hmmm yes, although I would see Hanafin more of a promoter of rather than someone who makes changes so it is possible that she will take on some of the promotional work. Maybe this is just my perception. It will be interesting to see what emerges.

Tend to agree with you - I reckon Hanafin would be a bit of a poster child for the "knowledge economy" certainly a bit more dynamic than Martin - it will be interesting to see who grabs the limelight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Moriarty wrote:
    Who knows, she may grow into it well. Then again, she may be a complete disaster. You'd imagine bertie wouldn't stick a dimwit in such an important department, but time will tell.

Yeah but, can you spell "right wing"?

One of those nice, shiny right wingers disguised as a woman... so you know, good to parade in front of the cameras... but right wing all the same.

At least that was my impression of her, when I queried a quote from her "Given at a Microsoft funded conference" where the then Minister for State tried to claim that Open Source Software (aka free software), could cost the State more in the long run.

Not that I question the Minister for State's ability to make such an assertion, but, the national government of Brazil, saw *billlions to be saved* from using Open Source... and never, you know, made any big policy announcements about sticking with Microsoft at a Microsoft funded event.

Funnily enough, I queried the Minister for State about where the Department had "looked into" OSS, as she claimed and the Department, never bothered to reply with "specifics" to my query and instead sent me a reply along the lines of "we understand you support Linux, but...", which of course basically proved to me, that the only "looking" the Minster had done on this issue, was in the Microsoft pamphlet, at the conference !

So?

She was hardly a decent "e-minister", but I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she can infact do something useful as a minister, since she seemingly earnt her way into the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Mary Harney @ Health.....*shudder*
    I reckon Hanafin would be a bit of a poster child for the "knowledge economy" certainly a bit more dynamic than Martin - it will be interesting to see who grabs the limelight

Dynamic? Mare? - Are we talking about the same woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Moriarty wrote:
    So?

She was hardly a decent "e-minister", but I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she can infact do something useful as a minister, since she seemingly earnt her way into the position.

Moriarty, that argument hardly holds water... you'd hardly promote a bad employee, in the hopes that they might make a better job of a position with more responsibility, then they did with the position of less responsibility... now would you?

I'm pointig out a very specific instance where from past experience of the Minister, I find her to be a mouth piece for a right wing agenda, and I'm further asserting that, promoting this person to the front benches, moves Fianna Fail further right, no matter how much the party might try to come off as lurching to the left by inviting leftie clerical-Fianna Fial types to march in front of an Ard Feis and sound like a raving Leninist only to laughed at, by his party colleagues in public !

To my mind... that's a highly inconsistent way to conduct government.

MadsL wrote:
    Mary Harney @ Health.....*shudder*

Dynamic? Mare? - Are we talking about the same woman?

more dynamic than Martin - that's all - and yes she is right wing, but it's a right wing government. In the context of who could have been given education, I think she is probably the best of a pretty bad bunch. Certainly from conversations I've had today with people involved in policy making in the 3rd level sector and with some INTO representatives today, both groups reckoned she would be someone you could work with.

Hanafin was toothless as "e-minister" cos she had no teeth (like all junior ministers). She had no budget to spend, no staff reporting to her (well about 6), no legislative responsibility, no time to spare after whipping in the backbenchers.

Now she has an opportunity to show her metal. I think she will do very well.
    Future Party Leader material actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Be interesting to see how Dermot Ahern does with the Peace-Process. Being a border-man he should have a good idea of the terrain he is facing.

Advertisement