Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Rental

• 29-09-2004 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Got Esat BB in through my Eircom line connection a couple of months ago.

Since I don't use the line for anything other than the Digital BB connection is it possible to get Eircom to disconnect the line while still retaining the the digital connection ?

AFAIK the line rental is for analog services which I'm not using. So why do I have to pay for a service I don't use ?

Even if I have to keep paying it, (as I'm sure some monkey in Eircom will tell me if I ring up and ask the question), does the line rental cover acceptable quality of the line ? The reason I ask this is because with the ADSL signal filters attached I can listen to Today FM down my phone line.

Now I'm sure that Eircom will see this as a bonus and probably try to charge for it, but if they insist I have to pay for the line rental and I make analog calls on it, am I not entitled to a analog phone service without Ian Dempsey and Co. sharing the call with me ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Collina wrote:
    Even if I have to keep paying it, (as I'm sure some monkey in Eircom will tell me if I ring up and ask the question), does the line rental cover acceptable quality of the line ? The reason I ask this is because with the ADSL signal filters attached I can listen to Today FM down my phone line.

Now I'm sure that Eircom will see this as a bonus and probably try to charge for it, but if they insist I have to pay for the line rental and I make analog calls on it, am I not entitled to a analog phone service without Ian Dempsey and Co. sharing the call with me ?

I rang up Eircon a few months back about pretty much this very topic. They basically told me that the law only requires them to provide a phone line which is capable of supporting voice calls i.e. 14Kbp/s. Anything after that is a bonus.

Dont know if this is true or not, but there really isnt much point arguing with Eircon representatives anyway as half the time they havent a clue.

We got a phone bill from them recently after getting a new phone line installed for DSL.

We're in an old house which had an old phone line installed. However, wanting to get DSL we didnt want to take the chance that the old phone line wouldnt support DSL so we requested a new installation.

An Eircon engineer called to the house, obviously annoyed that he had been sent over to a house to install a phone line on a Wednesday morning. He just played around with the phone socket, grunted, asked for some coffee and then said that there was a fault with the line and that it would have to be connected on the street. It should be sorted in a few days, he said.

Fair enough, a few days later it was sorted and we've recently got the bill for the installation. They charged us for a full new installation as we requested except thats not what we got. We rang up sales and they said that they didnt know what was going on and that they'd put us through to technical. Technical then told us that the phone line didnt exist and that we should talk to sales about a new line. After which she hung up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Is this the Esat business dsl??

If it is then i was going to go through this process a while back.
    Basically what i had to do was re-submit the application form with the unbundled option ticked.
    Be very clear to them that its not a new connection and make sure they don't re-charge the connection fee - like they wanted to do with me originally.
    There would be some downtime but as far as can remember they said it would only be an hour or 2.

Hope that helps.

C.

Advertisement