Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All that airport security is really working

Options
  • 29-09-2004 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Glad to see that all the stringent new security procedures laid down at the behest of the paranoid pantywaists across the pond is really working out for the best

Like, you're no longer allowed bring a toothpick into an airliner's cabin lest somebody feel threatened, yet this guy manages to attack the crew with a fire axe!!! That was helpfully positioned for easy access in the case of emergency!!!!!!

You've gotta laugh.

I did.

PS Hope the pilot gets better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hows about a link to a story you don't have to pay to see?

I guess you are talking about this?

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040928-111356-3924r.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Hobbes wrote:
    Hows about a link to a story you don't have to pay to see?

I guess you are talking about this?

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040928-111356-3924r.htm

Whoops. Sorry. No it wasn't your story. It was this one. I guess seeing as it comes from the AP news wire it's OK to print it here.

Passenger attacks Norwegian pilot with an axe
    Last updated: 29-09-04, 12:09

A passenger on a Norwegian commuter plane attacked both pilots and at least one passenger with an axe as the aircraft was landing today.

The pilots suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries and were able to land the Kato Air Dornier 228 safely in the northern town of Bodoe.

The attacker, who was wielding a fire axe that was part of the aircraft's emergency equipment, was arrested after it touched down, police official Mr Bjarte Wala said. Seven passengers were on board.

"The two pilots were injured. I know that at least one passenger was also injured, but I don't know if there were others," Mr Wala said.

The twin engined aircraft - capable of carrying 16 passengers - was flying from the northern town of Narvik to Bodoe, 530 miles north of Oslo.

Mr Wala said the attack happened as the plane was making its final approach.

"Despite their injuries, the pilots managed to land the plane safely," said Wala. "We don't know the extent of their injuries yet."

Mr Wala said he had no immediate information about a motive for the attack, the events leading up to it, or personal details about the suspect.

AP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

The would-be 'Shoeicide', where the looney tried to light a fuse with matches failed because because he couldn't get the fuse to light.
    Now, you can't take a nailclippers on a plane, but you can carry a lighter!
    But since you are not allowed smoke in most airports or planes, why isn't a ligher banned?
    Apparently Big Tobacco lobbied hard, and won. But don't forget that if the moron with the explosives in his shoes had had a lighter he might have been successful.
    Tobacco kills more people daily than all the Terrorists on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

In america (along with everything else) lighters are banned. When i has going through security in LA a couple weren't allowed to take their zippo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll notice that there are very often manicure sets for sale on board the plane, complete with razor-sharp nail clippers. And they say the tobacco companies have strong lobbies...

• Advertisement
Advertisement