Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera locations

Options
  • 29-09-2004 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just wondering are there speed cameras on the main route (cant remember the road name n7 is it) from limerick to dub... particularly the limerick bypass and the kildare bypass??? just a mate told me there were and i cant say ive seen any the few times ive made the trip (and i havent got any letters in the post either). Also do the gards often speed trap that route? I've driven from Kerry to dub I dunno how many times now and I've only once met a speed trap once in castleisland... Maybe I'm lucky I dunno but was just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

there are signs in monesterevin and kildare but no actual cameras. i have noticed grey boxes by the side of the road though (about the size of an esb box) but these are not gatsos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah was wondering... just i do admit to speeding... and do u remember that news story of the lady who sped down this a road on the way to work that got a new camera she didnt know about and then at the end of the month she got all 12 points knocked off at the same time.. its a scary thought and was just wondering about the journey to dub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

yeah was wondering... just i do admit to speeding... and do u remember that news story of the lady who sped down this a road on the way to work that got a new camera she didnt know about and then at the end of the month she got all 12 points knocked off at the same time.. its a scary thought and was just wondering about the journey to dub

I do this route, and Dublin - Cork frequently, no fixed cameras but loads of mobile ones - especially on the Cork route (passed three in a day last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I do Dub-Lmk. and back once a week normally, and as kdevitt said, no fixed cams.
    the worst spot for the mobile ones is the Nenagh bypass, and the first section of motorway/portlaoise bypass(basically any good stretch of road where accidents are unlikely). Also watch out for an unmarked Garda car, a red D reg. mondeo('03 I think) usually patrols around from nenagh to borris-in-ossory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cameras currently only in Dublin, Meath & louth (pilot project!)
    She got done because she was stupid, really stupid! The camera wasn't new, had been there for absolutely ages. 50mph signs were there since they brought the limit on that stretch down about two years ago and they are quite visible. Her excuses about not seeing the signs were scary as she was concentrating on merging. The sign is about 50m before the road begins to merge. She obviously was not competent enough to be driving so her banning from driving is not a bad thing.

• Advertisement

just on this topic, does anyone know what happened www.speedtraps.ie.nu? It has been down for quite a while. I know the gardai were not impressed by its existence. Did they manage to get it shut down?
    The domain ie.nu is taken by a company on Merrion Row in Dublin (with a payments po box in the UK!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

That website hadn't been updated since about 2001, I reckon it was lack of interest from the owner rather than Gardai pressure. There was nothing remotely illegal on it anyway.

John R wrote:
    That website hadn't been updated since about 2001, I reckon it was lack of interest from the owner rather than Gardai pressure. There was nothing remotely illegal on it anyway.
    I know htere was nothing illegal on it but I do know that the gardai were pissed off at their favourite locations for making money being advertised.
    Anyway, thanks for the answer. Funny, I never thought of non-use!

glynf wrote:
    I do Dub-Lmk. and back once a week normally, and as kdevitt said, no fixed cams.
    the worst spot for the mobile ones is the Nenagh bypass, and the first section of motorway/portlaoise bypass(basically any good stretch of road where accidents are unlikely). Also watch out for an unmarked Garda car, a red D reg. mondeo('03 I think) usually patrols around from nenagh to borris-in-ossory.

Ah the Nenagh bypass..... usually I use that spot to lose some of the slow traffic.... I'll remember yur words tho cos I can't say I've ever obeyed the speed limit along that stretch.

What ye guys mean about mobile cameras? u mean garda traps or actual cameras they move about... just Ive never seen anything like that on my way to or from dub.

mobile cameras = unmarked cars which contain cameras - they drive all over the place catching people unawares

• Advertisement

fair enough... actually does anyone know what the range of a speed camera is?

There are various cars like a V6 navy camry and a red mondeo Zetec. They can be identified from the rear as they have two blue lights in front of the rear headrests. I don't know their range.

There are also the Gatso vans - unmarked vans (usually transits) parked at the side of the road with blackened windows and a small square cut out of the black with a camera lens peeping through. these are usually found on the side of a safe stretch road which has a ludicrously low speed limit. I think their range is about 50ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Since we're on the subject of Garda equipment - can the hand held speed guns scan multiple cars at once or is it only able to read the one the Guard is aiming at?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

they only read the one the garda is aiming it at, dunno how the garda get away with robbing motorists while they let actual burglers do what they want!

There have been 6 houses around my area broken into ir attempted to be broken into in the last 3 months or so and I live in a rural area and what did the gardai do?

shrugged his shoulders and said your insurance will cover it.
    Even though there was finger prints everywhere and footprints and everything, does just really get to me so it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

draffodx wrote:
    shrugged his shoulders and said your insurance will cover it.
    SO annoying....yeh insurance might cover it but you're sure as hell gonna pay the following year when ur premium shoots up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

actually the new road to cork from fermoy is riddled with cops saw two check points on the same stretch of road before

draffodx wrote:
    they only read the one the garda is aiming it at, dunno how the garda get away with robbing motorists while they let actual burglers do what they want!
    but how would the gardai manage to get high crime success rate stats if they didn't go fish shooting?

in fairness someone has to pay for their xmas parties and burglars arent as profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk is the best place to get info regarding the equiptment the gardai are using. The laser gun they use is the lidar 20-20.
    Have a look at the wheelie bin cam, hope fully the gardai wont get ideas from this site.
    The gatso vans are usually just past Baldonnell on the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are various cars like a V6 navy camry and a red mondeo Zetec. They can be identified from the rear as they have two blue lights in front of the rear headrests. I don't know their range
    The gardai also have at least one unmarked BMW X5 with blue lights hidden behind the grille etc. However I don't know if it's used for traffic duty/speed checks or something else (armed response perhaps?)

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Anyone know the waterford to dublin route (via carlow)? At a few points along the route there are signs for speed cameras, but can't say I've ever seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweeper4

woosaysdan wrote:
    actually the new road to cork from fermoy is riddled with cops saw two check points on the same stretch of road before

Yes, they are ever present on the new Watergrasshill bypass dual carriageway. They sit on the slip roads about 1/4 way from the top and record your speed from behind you. Very nice stretch of road, similar to the Kildare bypass. I have very rarely travalled it not to see a speed check or some poor soul getting booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Godfather

There is software designed to work with navigation units for cards and Pocket PC's, it has all the camer locations in the UK. I have been talking to the guys that update the software and the said if we provide them with the information listed below they will start adding them to the software and Ireland will now start to feture on it.

http://pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

1. Camera type.
    2. Position of camera,eg Lat/Long coordinates in any format.
    3. Speed limit.

Advertisement