Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr names squad for France and Faroe Islands games

• 29-09-2004 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Squad for France and Faroe Islands :

Shay Given, Paddy Kenny, Nick Colgan,

Stephen Carr, Andy O'Brien, Kenny Cunningham, Alan Maybury, Richard Dunne, Gary Breen, John O'Shea, Steve Finnan, Gary Doherty,

Andy Reid, Matt Holland, Roy Keane, Kevin Kilbane, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanangh, Alan Quinn,

Graham Barrett, Damien Duff, Alan Lee, Clinton Morrison, Robbie Keane.

Nice to see Honey Monster getting back in

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

My eleven

Given

Carr - Cunningham - Breen - Maybury

Finnan - Reid - Keane - Duff

Morrison - Keane

I would not like to see the honey monster get his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I would not like to see the honey monster get his game.

Why , he seems to have become a much better player since the last time he was involved in World Cup qualifyiers , and Breen has gotten worse .

Why pick Breen over O'brien also ? .

my team is :

Given

---Carr
    O'brien
    Cunningham
    Finnan---

Miller/Reid
    Keane
    Kavanagh
    Duff---

Morrison

Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd go with BigEars' team, Reid over Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

aye what has miller done to even consider giveing reids place to him?

bizmark wrote:
    aye what has miller done to even consider giveing reids place to him?

The reason I even considered him is how poor Reid was in the Switz game , but im sure that did have a lot to do with Carr .

I would definetly have Reid start the Faroe's game and if I was forced to pick between him and Miller for the France game I would go with Reid .

Edit: when I think about Barret probably deserves his place over Miller .(but not Reid)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Big Ears wrote:
    The reason I even considered him is how poor Reid was in the Switz game , but im sure that did have a lot to do with Carr .

Reid wasn't poor, he got the ball in terrible positions and the movement of the players in front of him was abysmal. He was played in on two occasions and both times he skinned his man and hit inch perfect passes. One was wrongly flagged offside and the other Robboe Keane wasted.

I don't think Kerr wil drop Kilbane and to be fair Zinideine hasn't done much wrong. I'd go with

Given

Carr----O'Brien----Cunningham----Maybury

Reid----Keane---Kilbane/Kavanagh---Duff

Morrisson----Keane

With Kilbane/Kavanagh being dependant on whether he wants to attack (Kilbane) or stifle the midfield (Kav).

For me the key man in this game for Ireland is Cunningham. Last season at Highbury in the Premiership last year he marked Henry out of the game and was pretty much the reason Birmingham managed a 0-0 draw. If he can reproduce that display we have a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Given

Carr----O'Brien
    Cunningham----Finnan

Miller----Keane
    O'Shea
    Duff

Morrisson----Keane

Breen is possibly the worst Irish defender to ever put on the shirt

I'd put that out for France for one reason, experience at atop level.
    Miller has more than Reid
    O'Shea has more than the rest of the options(I dont consider Holland an option:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Me picks:

Given

Finnan
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    Maybury

Reid
    Keane
    Kavanagh
    Duff

Keane
    Morrison

PHB wrote:
    I'd put that out for France for one reason, experience at atop level.
    My arse, you'd put that out because you wouldn't consider dropping the United players. ;) Kavanagh has more top level experience in the centre of midfield than O'Shea BTW. I won't argue with Miller on the right though, I just won't agree. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

My general Ireland formation (poxy 4-4-2 for me!):

Given

Carr----O'Brien---Cunningham---O'Shea

Miller----Keane
    Reid

Keane
    Duff

Morrison

It's like a Christmas tree!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Given

Carr----O'Brien---Cunningham---O'Shea

Miller----Keane
    Reid

Keane
    Duff

Morrison

Lots of inexperience in that squad above. Miller doesnt look full of confidence, Reid had a bad game in basel (for whatever reason). I wouldnt have Clinton up front, I'd have robbie there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Given

Carr----O'Brien----Cunningham----O'Shea

Reid----Keane
    Kavanagh---Duff

Morrisson----Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'm glad to see richard Dunne get the call up.

Why would Breen, who plays ina lower division be chosen on Dunne, or O'Brien who play every week against the best?
    What is your logic?

In the past we didnt maybe have the options?

anyway my team

Given

Carr OBrien Cunningham OShea

Finnan Keane Kilbane Duff

Morrison Keane

As you can see, going with Finnan on the right, as he has played there for 'Pool this season. A bit harsh on Reid, but he can make an impact as sub if we need to change things around.

P.S. The fella who said Breen was the worst irish defender obviously never watched Kernahan or Phelan too much eh?

X

Reid and Miller can come on as subs, if required,

Kerr will probably go with the following : -

___________________Given___________________

Finnan_________O Brien_____Cunningham________O Shea

Reid___________Holland______Keane____________Duff

_____________Clinton________________Robbie Keane

Finnan is in great form compared to Carr.

O Shea has the most experience at left back compared to the other options.

Reid should be protected by Finnan and Holland and has abiliity that we need going forward. So he will get a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i'd agree with thejollyrodgers team there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Where has Kavanagh ever played top level football?
    He's played a couple of times for Ireland, thats it?

Maybe I don't know about his history.

Miller over read because Miller layed with Celtic in the SPL, which is slightly a higher quality than Notts forest in Div 1

This game againist france is a big game, and you need your best experienced players out there.
    This isn't a game you put out the young to develop them, this is the game the young are developed for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Miller over read because Miller layed with Celtic in the SPL, which is slightly a higher quality than Notts forest in Div 1

This game againist france is a big game, and you need your best experienced players out there.
    This isn't a game you put out the young to develop them, this is the game the young are developed for
    Reid has twice as many caps as Miller. Miller missed out the entire second half of last season at Celtic and has pretty much just played cameos for United this year. So yes, I would definately go with the player with more experience (and fitness) if it were between these too.

But I would start with Finnan on the right. Reid and Miller could provide a better impact coming off the bench. Either that or start Duffer up front and Reid on the left with Clintron and Miller off the bench. I doubt the likes of Gallas or Silvestre will have too much difficulty dealing with Clintron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd play Reid over Miller!!! Reid has more experience with the team than Miller and as jiven turkey said Miller has only made cameos at united so far, though i can see him breaking into the united squad in the next season or two for some strange reason

Miller over read

read ? reid maybe ;)

Reid has been playing a lot more than Miller both for Club and Country. Miller hasnt played a lot of football. He might get a few minutes near the end though.

I would start Finnan at right back. He is good going forward and good defensively. Carr's form has to be taken into account.

If Reid is having problems then I would take him off and bring on Carr at right back and put finnan on the right side of midfield.

OR : -

Kerr could try a 4-3-3. What does everyone think about this ?

Finnan_________O Brien_____Cunningham________O Shea

________Holland______Keane______Kavanagh_______

________Reid________Keane_______Duff___________

4-3-3 is essentially 4-5-1 when you are back defending or dont have the ball. Reid and Duff would go back to midfield. Kavanagh Keane and Holland would do well in the center of the park to close people down and distrupt the french. There would also be Reid and Duff in midfield closing the french down so it may be very effective.

Once we get the ball it has to go out to the wings very quickly. Kavanagh and Keane have very good distribution, hence kavanagh's inclusion.

Going forward Reid and Duff would do their business out on the wings and O Shea and Finnan would support them. Both backs are good going forward.

Robbie has scored more but Clinton has performed very well.
    Clinton is out just because you need an extra midfielder and two wingers.

We would look very dangerous on the break and would provide lots of chances but it would be up to robbie or the other winger to get in to the center and score goals.

It would really come down to Robbie sticking the ball in the back of the net. Hopefully he will be on form. Duff can score in the peno area, I dont know about Reid, but it might be something kerr should look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Given

Carr----O Brien----Cunningham--O Shea

-Finnan----Keane
    Kavanagh---Reid
    Duff
    Keane

Duff in a free role, yes.

• Advertisement

Thats essentially Duff up front. Tried and failed. Holland plays at a higher level than Kavanagh and that cant be overlooked. I cant see Carr starting,

PHB wrote:
    Where has Kavanagh ever played top level football?
    He's played a couple of times for Ireland, thats it?
    Kavanagh was first choice in the Boro team until Brian Robson took over and sold him.

Jolly, I showed you that 68-80% of the last Euro qualifiers Holland was absolutely crap. There's a lot more of a risk in playing Holland than there is playing Kavanagh. Its not as if Kav hasn't faced a midfield partnership of the quality of Dhorasoo and Dacourt before. I actually think your memory is fecked up TBH jolly. ;)

I think this deserves to be shown again:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=162630&postcount=16

If Holland does play I hope I'm wrong but I really doubt it.

BTW, whats wrong with Carr's form? He's one of Newcastle's most consistent players and is used to playing with O'Brien and Given by now. He had one bad game against the Swiss, jaysus, he's hardly going through a terrible spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah carr is playing very well at newcastle and has a great partnership with o'brien and given as eirebhoy said!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kavanagh was first choice in the Boro team until Brian Robson took over and sold him.

Robson took over Boro when they were in the old 1st division, yes? So he sold Kavanagh from a 1st division club, yes?

Kavanagh currently plies his trade in the renamed 1st division? With Cardiff?

Where's the top level football then? :confused:

Don't get me wrong mind, I'd have Kav in ahead of Holland any day. Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Given

Carr----O Brien----Cunningham--O Shea

-Finnan----Keane
    Kavanagh---Reid
    Duff
    Keane

Looks good to me

eirebhoy, holland is going to start over kavanagh for the simply reason that he is playing at a higher level than kavanagh. you can drag up any statistic you wish. Im no fan of Mr invisible.

The only way I would start kavanagh is in my 4-3-3 formation on the previous post. I think its a great team and covers us both defensively and provides real attacking options.

As for Carr, well he was lucky to stay on the pitch the way he was carrying on in basel. Im judging him by his performances in the green shirt, not how he fairs with newcastle.

International matches isnt about taking risks at the back. I know kerr said he didnt have any problems with Carr (before the cyprus match) but I think carr has got some issues to iron out with the new ireland set up and isnt giving the team 100%.

I would defintely like to see Kerr go with the 4-3-3 with the Faroe Islands : -

Vs faroe islands

Carr_________O Brien_____Cunningham________O Shea

____Finnan_______Kavanagh/Holland_____Miller_______

________Reid________Keane_______Duff___________

Its attacking minded because were at home, the opposition is poor and we really need to make up the goal difference that usually costs us.

Roy keane is rested, he wouldnt be fit after France anyway.

A bit of swapping brings in Carr at right back and finnan on the right side of midfield.

Miller gets a start on the left side of midfield, with kavanagh or holland in the center. I would go for Kavanagh because the opposition is at a lower level and he would be very effective passing and controlling the game. But I dont know if Miller can really play left side.

Up front its Reid on the right and Duff on the left. They should get plenty of support going forward with Finnan, Carr, Miller and O Shea. Lots of options down the wings and even through the center. Its a pity one of the players couldnt take set peices like Hearte, the team would be deadly then.

Robbie should have lots of chances and the above team can easily manage 5 or 6 nill.

'Im judging him by his performances ' , the why don't you do the same for O'Shea and drop him and replace him with Maybury ?

the why don't you do the same for O'Shea and drop him and replace him with Maybury ?

Good point. I havent seen maybury play, but O Shea does look like he is lacking in confidence.

Robson took over Boro when they were in the old 1st division, yes? So he sold Kavanagh from a 1st division club, yes?
    Boro had just been relegated before Robson took over, before that they were in the prem and Kav had just cemented his place in midfield. He also played in the prem against Irish legends Houghton, Staunton, Townsend, O'Leary and McGrath against Chelsea, Arsenal and Aston Villa in 92/93 (if he could hack it then I'm sure he can 11 years later). ;) 20 premiership games is hardly a lot but at least he's not going into the unknown and has played more than O'Shea in that position.

Jolly - You said you judge Carr on his performances in an Ireland shirt, then surely he can't be dropped. He has been playing very well for us since Kerr took over.

• Advertisement

You said you judge Carr on his performances in an Ireland shirt, then surely he can't be dropped. He has been playing very well for us since Kerr took over.

Im just watching carr playing now in the UEFA Cup, tugging away at the oppostion, giving free's away at the edge of the box. :rolleyes:

Im just watching carr playing now in the UEFA Cup, tugging away at the oppostion, giving free's away at the edge of the box. :rolleyes:
    I just seen Andy O'Brien get turned inside out by Ryan Giggs. :rolleyes: Stop being ridiculous and drop your biased attidude.

what im trying to highlight is Carr's temperment. I have nothing against the player, I thought he was the best right back in the priemership a number of years back. I just have to ask what the fúck was he at pulling and dragging that player for just outside newcastles areas. Is he 100%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PHB wrote:
    Miller over read because Miller layed with Celtic in the SPL
    Just because Miller is educated and has a way with the women doesn't mean he should automatically get picked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Groan.

Advertisement