Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT Courses

Options
  • 29-09-2004 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I hear IADT do a brilliant undergraduate film production course. I'm very interested in doing this but I'm running into a problem or two. The first is that they require a portfolio. I don't take art, or any subject in my secondary that would really get involved with your portfolio, so at this stage, I have nothing. However, they do offer a portfolio preparation course. They do it in the evenings and during the summer. Because I'm in 6th year at the moment, I don't think evenings would be a wise idea... I mean, I wouldn't exactly have much time to take photos, or practise drawing and so forth.

I don't actually know when portfolios are due... I've been trying to ring them all day, but I just get a monotonous answering machine. I'm hoping someone here might have a bit of experience. Would it be possible for me to focus on my Leaving Cert for the moment and worry about a portfolio during the summer? Also, if any people from IADT who happen to be browsing this board read this, what are the chances of getting in? There are only 24 places for the course as far as I know... I think I'm going to get around 450 points (more or less) in my Leaving Cert... and I don't know about the Portfolio, since I don't know anything about it or what it's worth.

It would be great to hear some feedback from people with firsthand experience.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

Sorry, but whats IADT?
    I did a portfolio myself as i was doing the leaving..however mine was for courses in graphic design and art teaching.
    I was doing art at school though which is an advantage..
    Do some drawings yourself in the everings, STARTING NOW!!!!
    Seriously..
    Most courses i applied for viewed portfolios in Feb/march/april time.. so start working now..It is possible to do a portfolio and a get a good leaving cert..cheak out some places for halloween week long courses..a porrtfolio doesnt have to be a full time job, do about 2-3 hours a week and you should be grand...

I'm not sure though myself about doing a portfolio during the summer because generally rhe assesment are long done...
    Good luck though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

is this IADT DL in Dun Laoighaire?

a mate of mine has just started that course, what you need to know?

exiztone wrote:
    I hear IADT do a brilliant undergraduate film production course. I'm very interested in doing this but I'm running into a problem or two. The first is that they require a portfolio. I don't take art, or any subject in my secondary that would really get involved with your portfolio, so at this stage, I have nothing. However, they do offer a portfolio preparation course. They do it in the evenings and during the summer. Because I'm in 6th year at the moment, I don't think evenings would be a wise idea... I mean, I wouldn't exactly have much time to take photos, or practise drawing and so forth.

I don't actually know when portfolios are due... I've been trying to ring them all day, but I just get a monotonous answering machine. I'm hoping someone here might have a bit of experience. Would it be possible for me to focus on my Leaving Cert for the moment and worry about a portfolio during the summer? Also, if any people from IADT who happen to be browsing this board read this, what are the chances of getting in? There are only 24 places for the course as far as I know... I think I'm going to get around 450 points (more or less) in my Leaving Cert... and I don't know about the Portfolio, since I don't know anything about it or what it's worth.

It would be great to hear some feedback from people with firsthand experience.

Cheers
    - Tim

Thats what he wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Most courses i applied for viewed portfolios in Feb/march/april time.. so start working now..

Ach, really? I still don't know for sure as I can never get through to anyone in the offices. But anyway, I'm quite clueless to making a good portfolio. I'm sure there's a standard method to compiling it and stuff; I'd definitely need the course.

Thanks for the feedback! IADT is an arts college in Dun Laoghaire.

Ahh well i know it now!
    Beleive me a portfolio is not a full time job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement