Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3dmark05 Has Been Realeased Today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

maybe its like a lucky draw and amd released 1 chip that could do 4ghz..and he was the winner :p

beyond me though..id love 2.8!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Oh yeah I get only 250mhz top. I have no idead what sort of cooling he's got but the FX 55 has strained silicon or something in makes it better overclocking and there totally unlocked with the multiplyers. But the new 90nm AMD 64's are doing really well on air averaging over 400mhz on air cooling (lower stock voltage). Some of these new winchester chips did 820mhz overclock on air which is 45% increase. As for 1.2Ghz I did not mean that all chips clock equally well. But 1Ghz overclocks on phase cooling been possible along time on intel. Point is its the first time I have seen AMD that high. I have seen P4 hitting 5.0Ghz but that was on extreme cooling which I assume this fx cpu is too. I reckon that FX is about 5.7Ghz p4 term. So probably is liquid nitrogen cooling. Secondly its luck of the draw . You could get a cpu and I could have the same one but yours might overclock better. Is to do with when there manufactured some weeks are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I aint claiming to be any kind of an expert on chip design, but according to your last statement it sound like your trying to say that this can be done with any chip. e.g. can you take an old 486 and increase the clock speed to Pentium 3 speed. I would love it, if it was possible, but its not. I don’t care what kind of cooling system your using because its not just about keeping the chip cool. The rest of us on AMD64's are getting ~250-450Mhz more MAX. With top quality watercoolers. Just think what is there, that this guy could be doing differently than us (apart from using photoshop).

Liquid nitrogen, modified mobo, massive cpu voltages = huge once off overclocks. That's the highest i've seen an amd at. The highest intel i saw was 5.3ghz. The chips wouldn't last long at that speed and voltage.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

on that forum somewhere i think someone got an intel to 6.1 but i think it died before he took a screeny so its only at about 5.8 or something..still insane :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jessy wrote:
    How is this even possible? Is there not something called the natural clock speed (when the clock just reaches its limit). How can AMD release a chip that is capable of doing 1.2 GHz more than they guarantee. I’m a huge fan of overclocking and would love an AMD chip that is clocked at 3.8 GHz especially an FX55. I can’t understand how they could be so far out of our league. Has anyone here even broken the 3 GHz mark? I think there more clever with Photoshop that they are with OC
    3ghz has been broken ages ago on the fx chips on phasechange.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    Liquid nitrogen, modified mobo, massive cpu voltages = huge once off overclocks. That's the highest i've seen an amd at. The highest intel i saw was 5.3ghz. The chips wouldn't last long at that speed and voltage.

BloodBath
    Thats not entirely true, these chips would last a few years, if its running at minus temps then those voltages wont be too bad for it and temps arent going to shorten the life of the chip either. There are guys running heavily overclocked systems on mach II's 24/7 for well over 1-2 years and they are fine.

Thats not entirely true, these chips would last a few years, if its running at minus temps then those voltages wont be too bad for it and temps arent going to shorten the life of the chip either. There are guys running heavily overclocked systems on mach II's 24/7 for well over 1-2 years and they are fine.

Eh no they won't. Temps have no effect on massive voltages. Even with sub zero temps a processor can be killed with too much voltage. The high voltage damages the gates inside the processor. People with mach 2 coolers don't reach 3.8ghz on an amd. They reach about 3ghz and stick to safe voltages. These guys use liquid nitrogen and go well over save voltages. It wouldn't last 1-2 weeks, never mind 1-2 years.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

BloodBath wrote:
    That's the highest i've seen an amd at. The highest intel i saw was 5.3ghz. The chips wouldn't last long at that speed and voltage.

BloodBath

you saw or you read??

There are guys benching at 5.5ghz and above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

ive just pushed my score up a little today im now up to 6674 which im happy to say has push me up to page 5 of the over all leader board on the 3dmark05 site ...heres a snap below

and im catching up on those guys in the 5ghz speeds :o well almost im hitting the 4.3ghz atm but who knows how high this little baby of mine will go :D
    http://tinypic.com/fq73t

http://tinypic.com/fq788

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Is that 5.5Ghz a once off or is there any stability at all. In my earlier post I thought that these guy’s were stable at 3.8Ghz lol .

Still lol.

Still lol.

dubdvd you have a system that the gods would be proud of. is there any chance you could post your bench mark of PcMark2002. It might give me a better idea of how good my chip is. im still waiting of my newGraphics card 6800GT, but once all the upgrads are done(hopefully in 2-3weeks) you might have some competition on you hands. (theres 3 grand worth of them.)

maybe not Jessy, I have a Athlon64 here too with 6800GT

StRiKeR wrote:
    maybe not Jessy, I have a Athlon64 here too with 6800GT

well is there any chance you could post your PcMark2002 score up aswell.

I only used 3Dmark2005, never used PcMark2002

though this is a 3Dmark2005 thread

This P4 and the A64 has same GFX but this one is faster for some reason!

Which is better for overclocking the 6800's or the x800's in general?????

Actuallly will someone send me 3D Mark 2005. My internet connection is too slow.

Any takers........I'll be your friend :)

Azza look for 3dMark2005 on PC Utilities, They have a DVD disk with over 8000 apps I’m sure it will be on one of there disks.

What about going to an internet cafe and downloading it onto a cd if thats possible? i used to do that a lot for stuff, shouldnt take long to download. Where u living???

Moate Westmeath.

• Advertisement

pm me your address and ill post you a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Ok - 1st try with all settings at stock (I've never really tried to overclock - a little freaked by it!)

3dMARK05 - 1471

Athlon 3000 (barton)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    1gb RAM
    9800 PRO Driver 6.14.10.6458
    120GB 8MB Cache

I've just got the latest drivers from ATI's site - can't seem to find these beta 8.07 drivers?

I'll post the new driver score asap - should I be getting more than above?

New Driver

3dmark05 - 1997

Athlon 3000 (barton)
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    1gb RAM
    9800 PRO Driver 6.14.10.6483
    120GB 8MB Cache

What's the easiest way to squeeze more out of the above setup?

you saw or you read??

Saw and read. Scores and benchmarks and pics of setups. What's your point?

BloodBath

whats that about blood ?????

King Jerk wrote:
    Ok - 1st try with all settings at stock (I've never really tried to overclock - a little freaked by it!)
    what are you freaked out by, just increase the FSB in your bios (in small step's).

King Jerk wrote:
    What's the easiest way to squeeze more out of the above setup?

My above answer is guaranteed to get you a higher score.

My AMD 3000 (barton 333) is currently running at 200 x 11.5 =2.3ghz - I knocked the freq to 210 and it wouldn't boot?? had to jump cmos to boot again...

I would have thought such a small increase wouldn't be a problem?

My settings are currently (Options are in brackets)

CPU external freq 200mhz (100-300)
    CPU Freq Multiplier 11.5x (6.5x-14x)
    Mem freq set to auto (50%-200%)
    Mem Timings 7 3 3 2.5
    FSB Spread Spectrum 0.50% (Disabled 0.50% or 1.00%)
    AGP Spread Spectrum disabled (.50%)
    CPU vcore setting 1.65v (1.75 or 1.85)
    Graphics Aperture size 128MB (64mb to 512mb)
    AGP frequency (Auto) (50mhz to 100mhz)
    System BIOS cache disabled (enable)
    Video ram cacheable disabled (enable)
    DDR freq voltage 2.6 (2.7 or 2.8)
    AGP VDDQ voltage 1.5v (1.6 or 1.7)
    AGP fast write Enabled (disable)

Sorry for the long post - am i better off dropping the external freq and increasing the multiplier? Was it just going over the 200 that was the problem? Apologies - I guess this is lightly off topic.... but I want to increase that 3Dmark score!

thanks for any help

B

Ok

tried 190 @ 12.5 = 2375 blue screened before 3dmark started first test
    tried 195 @ 12 = 2340 ran all of 3dmark but blue screened on score page (no score displayed :o )

with the second overclock mem frequency auto dropped to 161mhz (from 166 as standard)

Do I need to change something other than fsb and multiplyer to get stability? The above seems like a pitifully small overclock....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You will have to increase your vcore in you bios a little. This in return create more heat for your cpu.

My vcore at the moment is 1.95.

You need to do a bit of reading up i dont have any links someone else might have.

• Advertisement

It's unlikely you will get much of an overclock out of it but google overclocking xp's to get tips. You should be able to get it to at least 2.3ghz.

BloodBath

Advertisement