Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB availability

• 29-09-2004 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I have just moved to Deans Grange and was chuffed to see on the IBB web pages that my new road is covered by the Belmont mast. So I called and got a friendly and helpful sales girl who after finding the road denied the mast was live and said that the web page was total rubbish. She thought the mast would be live mid oct and that there was a new one planned in Dun Laoghaire to go live "in the next few weeks".

Now I've read many a thread on here about the famus "next few weeks" for a new mast, but I've not seen instances of ones they claim are live on the website being denied are... I have searched the forum and people talk about the Belmont mast giving traffic since mid 2003, so anyone got a clue why they are claiming it's dead now?

I have clear LOS to 3 rock, according to their maps am too far away which is a bummer. The girl didnt seem to think this was an option anyway.

So given I have no use (other than BB) for an eircom line I am seemingly stuck with the same dilemma as many of you. Do I wait for IBB to avoid a line I dont need, or will they take forever and I am best off lumping paying eircom... :mad: They offered to take my details so they could let me know when my area was covered. Do they ever mail/call?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ripwave (the dude here on Boards) picked up Ripwave (signal) from 3 Rock when he was on an upper floor in Leeson St. I would try to get one for a weekend and leave it static and switched on for a few hours to see what happens. Mind you the signal may be focused north from there while you are easterly .

Drive over to Sandyford where they are based and haggle with them to get a test for a few days .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Do they entertain doing this? Would be handy as I'd certainly rather have (a working) Ripwave than pay Eircom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're looking for Ripwave, then maybe the Belmont aerial doesn't have it yet. If you're not looking for Ripwave but fixed wireless and Belmont doesn't have that either, you can probably get it from 3 Rock. 5.8Ghz is good for at least 10km's.

As you can tell from the 3 Rock coverage map, they're not sending from the big masts at the top of the mountain. They're using one of the smaller masts NE of the big masts.

Thanks for the feedback. From what I can tell the Belmont tower isnt doing Ripwave or Breeze, so sod knows what it is doing. To be honest I dont mind if I have Ripwave (as long as it works) or Breeze. Given I'd not be paying for line rental I am happy to pay more for Breeze if I'm guaranteed a decent service with the 5.8Ghz gear.

Their 3 rock maps stop short of where I am which is a bummer. The girl on the phone didn't offer any form of signal test either. If Ripwave is broadcast from a lower mast then I probably dont have LOS from the window.

Will just have to use my employers 3G card until IBB get their act together and resist the urge to get an Eircom line.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Muck wrote:
    Ripwave (the dude here on Boards) picked up Ripwave (signal) from 3 Rock when he was on an upper floor in Leeson St. I would try to get one for a weekend and leave it static and switched on for a few hours to see what happens. Mind you the signal may be focused north from there while you are easterly .

Drive over to Sandyford where they are based and haggle with them to get a test for a few days .

M

For the record, I got a Ripwave modem from IBB this week, but it doesn't work at all in my house, near the RTE mast. I took it to my wife's office (Ballsbridge is the address, but actually quite close to the Burlington Hotel), and it worked on the second floor (third storey) and upwards, even getting a green light on the top floor by the window, but mostly orange (not red).

At home I was supposed to be on the RTE Mast, and I did get a signal from BTS 140 for a few seconds, but in the office building, I was serving off BTS 246 (with a few hops over to 140 for a few seconds, and back to 246).

PS: It was about 18:30, but I was unable to get download speeds of over about 100kbits/sec...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭skibum

"that there was a new one planned in Dun Laoghaire to go live "in the next few weeks".

I was told that well over 4 months ago, I would have more time and respect for IBB if they told the truth, got their act together and stopped bu++sh***ing about their products. It is hard to have confidence in a company that acts this way, and from reading some of the posts on this forum it's not just me who feels this way. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would be quite skeptical of the ripwave kit as I have had a terrible experience with it both technically and also with the 'support' that IBB give you. I would advise going for the 5.8GHz stuff.

skibum wrote:
    I was told that well over 4 months ago

Ah crap. That's not going to happen in the next millenia then! :mad: Maybe I have more chance with the Belmont mast... but I feel Eircom calling.

So now they confuse me even more. I noticed on the web that we should also be covered by the Sandyford Ind Est mast, so I call them again expecting to be told that this mast is also fictional, but no! The guy says that yes I am covered and that they will send the info pack with forms to sign up with today! Why the first person I called couldn't tell me that I was covered by that mast I dont know...

I am yet to be convinced that I will get a working service, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Sandyford Mast on the Roof of their own office even :) .

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement